• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

So, explain "amplifier" to me. I'm technologically illiterate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preamplifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power_amplifier

Hope that helps ;)

No.

All I see are links.

:popcorn:

Stereos have a number of components. Tape deck, turntable, tuner, amplifier, speakers, etc. Everything else connects to the amplifier and it controls which device is fed to the speakers and controls the volume.

Top to bottom.

Audio Research SP - 3 pre amp and Kenwood Tuner. All the Amps were tubes

Dynaco Mark 5 Mono Power Amps. There was one on each speaker. Also tubes. Power incarnate.

Pioneer RT1011 -l Reel to reel. I would pre record about four hours of musice before my big monthly parties at my bachelor pad. Usually between 50 and 80 people. Lots of girls. The good old days.

Not show. I had two Magna Planer sound screens. The sound came ot of air tubes. These things were about 5 feet tall and two inches thick like a dressing screen. Unbelievable high and mid range sound but you need a sub-woofer for the base.

Image-1.jpg

Not show. I had two Magna Planer sound screens. The sound came ot of air tubes. These things were about 5 feet tall and two inches thick like a dressing screen. Unbelievable high and mid range sound but you need a sub-woofer for the base.

I've never heard those, but I used to read about them all the time.

Photo_Video_898561531_orig.JPG

Mine were black and each one had three panels that were hinged, like closet door. You could move each panel to get the sound you wanted and they stood up by themselves. Don't think I have a pic of them around. There were no actually speakers in them as the sound came through some kind of tubing system. They sounded like someone was playing right in the room.

Other guys at the time were using Dalquist Screens but I never thought they sounded as good. This was all high end nonsense that cost an arm and a leg at the time. I think the only place you could by Audio Research Amps at the time was Paul Heath in Chicago. No on else could sell them due to some licensing krap.

Dalquist Screens.

dalquistscreens.jpg

Don't get me wrong, these things sounded great, but I thought the Magna Planers had a big more high end and a bit sharper. I use to have a band technician come over before my parties and dial in my amps. He would also wash the chassis down to prevent any dust on the tubes making static while playing.

Girls would always say, " I'm not familiar with that area you live in " . I use to tell them, " just roll the car windows down and listen for the music ". My neighbors were glad to see me leave. lol

Edited by DR.X

Mine were black and each one had three panels that were hinged, like closet door. You could move each panel to get the sound you wanted and they stood up by themselves. Don't think I have a pic of them around. There were no actually speakers in them as the sound came through some kind of tubing system. They sounded like someone was playing right in the room.

Other guys at the time were using Dalquist Screens but I never thought they sounded as good. This was all high end nonsense that cost an arm and a leg at the time. I think the only place you could by Audio Research Amps at the time was Paul Heath in Chicago. No on else could sell them due to some licensing krap.

Those are cool as hell.

I had never heard of sound screens before. Awesome.

Hey Guys/Gals.....

Found the episode.

LINK

2tkk55W.png

SpvLBUS.png

Walt Flanagan...I've dealt with that guy before...

hm

Couple of notes on that episode:

That DKR #1 is NOT a first print. It is a second or third. How can I possibly know that?

Because there's a hinge "crease" in the book. The first prints are solid, from the joint (where the spine meets the cover) out, with no hinge crease.

The seconds and thirds all had hinge creases, and so does the book in the video, unless I'm blind.

Also...$60 for a first print set, unless they're trashed, is a very cheap price these days.