• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,872 posts in this topic

I finally managed to pick a copy of this series, which has been the very first Marvel age title published in Italy. It lasted 12-13 issues, all are black and white, not common to find, usually pricey (and not in this grade). :)

For now it stays in my ever-reducing collection of italian editions.

p0mg7Hzh.jpg

Not exactly a foreign edition, as it is an original story, but I finally managed to find another one of the few Superman apocryphal stories produced in Italy before and during the War. These are very scarce and this one in particular has an absurd story! :)

wIlsNqPh.jpg

I love this kind of stuff. What was so absurd about the story?

I love this kind of stuff. What was so absurd about the story?

As I have explained in an occasion before, Superman was first published in Italy (almost surely unauthorized) in a 1939 album, which presented the origin story traced from the american newspaper strips.

After that, the two authors for some reason decided to follow-up with originally created stories, where Ciclone (Superman) is still american, still a repoter working for a newspaper, but has an italian name (don’t ask me why) and three or four episodes were produced, appearing across different formats, titles (and publihers!).

This material is very rare more than very costly and this story is particularly odd because it starts in the USA but features an italian pilot attempting an overseas flight to Italy, and the villain is an american banker which, for unknown reasons, wants the flight not to succeed.

This italian Superman "doppelganger" – Ciclone – apparently does not fly, his powers are not quite explained and has no big problems in killing (or letting die) villains. If this story was published after 1942 I would imagine the pilot would have been a fascist aviator, and Superman helping him against the even-more-evil american schemers… lol

BTW, it is very well drawn, in a remarkable "modern" and graphic style, reminescent of inter-war artistic movements like Art Nouveau or Deco.

In the spirit of keeping this thread alive.... hm

SO I finally picked up 2 books though very very rough had been on my radar for a long time.

The MACC Ghost rider 1 and the Alemar Filipino SW#1 both are rare and just haveing one complete and not in pieces is a nice thing. The MACC Ghostrider is one of those books you just dont see pop up very often. Despite the wack cover wear this book will still find a good home amongst its Italian and American brother.

mexicanGR1.jpg

The Star Wars Alemar bookstore #1 is a freaking rare SW foreign! We know of a total of 5. One of which is only known as a scan on the internet and for all we know some insufficiently_thoughtful_person decided it was a reprint with no value and traded it to someone who decided to make a collage or something!

This Alemar Filipino is similar to the others we have seen that appear to not have any indication in the indicia at least that it is a book licensed by a Filipino bookstore. It does state it is a reprint while dictating the pages advertising appears. All the ad pages are Alemar ad pages again similar to other Alemar books we have seen.

The color though with poor registration isn't bad at all, and the general printing seems pretty good. All in all I am very very very happy to have this book and my next mission will be to do everything in my power to find another copy for my partner in SW#1 crime Ron.

StarWars1_Alemar.jpg

insidecover.jpg

indicia2.jpg

starwarsalemar.jpg

pagescolor.jpg

insidebackcover.jpg

StarWars1_Alemarback.jpg

The Star Wars book was bought for the seller when he was a very young boy by his parents. To think the journey this book traveled to get to me and mY Star Wars set.

Swedish300.jpg

marvelpremiere1frenchcan.jpg

StarWars1Columbia.jpg

FCC_issue5_StarWars1.jpg

1stfurymexico.jpg

64132_1471519513095438_7844549806864436204_n.jpg

150969_1471519509762105_8755374035789861857_n.jpg

The Macc Ghost Rider is very fascinating!

Love the color scheme and the graphic adaptation.

And your #129 collection… very nice. :cool:

I have to see if I have the ASE with Warlock Marvel (Premiere #1-2) – I think I still have it. (thumbs u

Love the ASE with Warlock! Tim has one.... kinda just started this set... let me know Claudio! :headbang:

You don't have the spanish edition? From Bruguera, with the red cover.

Nope, been checking SPanish Ebay lately but havent found one.... my focus on the 129 set has wavered as I have been expending alot of energy on the Star Wars #1 front.

There was a Brugera on American Ebay recently but I just couldnt afford the 50 dollar price at the time. Love some help in sourcing one Marmat! Just let me know if you see one on Spanish Ebay thats reasonable. Another problem lately is it seems that the foreign EBAY regions are really cracking down on contact. It used to be that if a seller didn't specify international shipping they could still be contacted from outside the country. What we used to do in the old days was contact a seller to beg them to ship internationally. Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't... now Ebay doesn't let you contact them at all. It says something like seller doesn't ship to your location or something like that so you cannot even seem to hit up foreign sellers to get them to ship internationally. More and more it seems you need re-shippers in some instances.... (shrug)