• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Kane Original?

49 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2014 at 4:10 PM, LG-migration said:

imagejpg1_zps6212c69c.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion ion about whether this could be authentic? It's supposed to be an original marker on illustration board by Bob Kane. I appreciate any input. My first time using this board and posting a photo, sorry if the pic is too big!

I just found this site and had the same question about my authenticity as I was offered a few Bob Kane pieces by Choice Collectibles and brokered by Michael D Fabrizio of Vintage Animation Gallery.  Long story short....I have about 6 pieces of these "type" of Bob Kane drawings ranging from $5,000USD to $8,000USD from 2014 to 2017. I tried posting some pics but I accidentally sent it to marketplace. I just want to know if it's at least a Bob Kane approved ghost piece since reading that Bob Kane never really did anything by himself. Thank you all for your help!

On 10/13/2014 at 2:37 AM, comicartcom said:

I don't believe this piece was even done by anyone Kane employed to draw for him.

that's what I mean when I call it a fake. Not Kane for sure and not a piece he paid to have done as a Kane. I'd venture to say it's a piece done to make money by some anonymous person just like so many pieces on ebay coming from Philadelphia and Europe. Fake!

I actually own a few of these style sketched purchased from Choice Collectibles in Animation Gallery. I showed it to a few of my artist friends and they all told me about Kane's ghosting. Hence why I'm on this site.....man, this is a lot to absorb. I hope I have at least some legitimate Bob Kane approved ghost sketches.

On 10/13/2014 at 7:10 PM, comicartcom said:

Look here's a few rules of thumb

1) actual Bob Kane art, while it can be found, is rare

when you see actual Kane art, it definitely has it's own characteristics and doesn't look like art drawn by any of his ghosts

2) most original Kane pieces are small sketches and when I talk sketch, a sketch is a pencil sketch or a writing pen sketch.

3) most good "Bob Kane" signed finished pieces of the era prior to the middle 60's are Sheldon Moldoff and they are done in a style closer to Bob's style than Sheldon's own style.

4) finished Bob Kane pieces are rare enough as to be non-existent

5) after Moldoff, Kane used any number of artists at different times to do different work.

Hired to sign their art "Bob Kane" these people are ghost artists

Greg Theakston did some ghost work for Kane.

and finally

6) if you met Kane and said "Hey, I would love to have a really nice piece of art done by you for my small son. How can I contact you about that and get something".. well you could indeed get a piece of art signed Bob Kane, however.. what price do you think you would have to pay?

Hint: It would not be in the hundreds of dollars

as a matter of fact, getting a piece of art from Bob was no inexpensive task and he was more than happy to say "Yes, I'll be happy to do it fo ryou. The price is $5000" and then he would call up a ghost artist, pay them $500 and pocket $4500.

so if someone is selling a piece such as the one that started this thread and it wasn't some expensive piece - alarm bells should be ringing

in my opinion, the piece this thread started is not even by a ghost artist, but by someone creating a piece of art to sell it and "faking" it as a Batman piece by Bob Kane

you want an authentic piece by Kane.. Watch Heritage, contact Albert, Mitch, Mike, Anthony or even Steve and Rick and you will be at least guaranteed it is an authentic ghosted Bob Kane. Anything else is to be avoided unless any respected dealer can say "oh yeah, I sold that piece to that guy".

I actually did contact Joe Mannarino, Comic Art Director of Heritage Auctions and replied very politically....."

Sketches and unpublished art is always a challenge..we rarely handle unpublished items such as sketches. Good to hear that you are aware of the Bob Kane "ghosts"

What about the convention sketches which were personalized and had "Bats" Wishes? I bought this one off eBay in 2013, and sent it off to PSA to at least have the signature authenticated, which they did.

The personalization said 1990 which corresponds to his convention circuit appearances. My issue really is that it seems well executed...whereas most of the more "legit" looking Kane sketches look a bit less confident and lack the city background.  When he did convention sketches, did he sign these in person, but have someone else draw them ahead of schedule? Or did he draw the whole thing in front of attendees?

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1039222

Bob