• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I just got ripped off on ebay

221 posts in this topic

I bought a FF 48 from all_things_comics on a whim as the auction was closing. Now that I have had time to google his name apparently he is a popular scam artist that has sold under many different names. It looks like he sales restored comics as non restored..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry just thought I would vent.

Or contact seller tell him you discovered his rep and would like to cancel the transaction saving him the trouble of shipping returning etc

you should be covered by ebay buyer protection...if you receive and it is restored, send it back for a refund...hopefully you paid paypal, so you are good outside of the inconvenience

Yep you'll get your money back one way or another

I know of one guy who did the resto scam and he ignored paypal so paypal told buyer to keep the AF 15 and deducted the money from seller. Hahahahaha

You can also return some German newspapers and get your refund and let him chew upon that.

Kav, Kav. What you describe is against the law.

This eBay seller does sell a lot of restored books. Amateur Color Touch and Trims. But he lists a lot of books unrestored. He has a 14 day return period and eBay Buyer Protection gives you 45 days of protection for item not as described. His feedback is 100%, which means he is taking returns and refunding money

If you got a good price, I'd pay for the book and evaluate it. CGC's standard tier is 15 business days and the resto check will be done after they have had the books for 7-10 days. So you would know for certain with plenty of time to spare to return. Or ask a professional restorer to check it.

Edited by Tony S

True it is against the law but it's one of those laws that's never enforced. He has 100% FB because by the time something comes back PLOD from cgc it's too late to leave FB. I wonder how many of those happy customers aren't so happy now.

I know it's not popular to say, but you can get good books at good prices from dealers like this.

Not all of the books they sell have been altered. Their reputation results in many fine books selling on the low side of the price curve. You just need to be capable of evaluating for resto yourself or get such done before the 45 day eBay Buyer protection period is up.

That said, I decided to look at the book. I think it is unlikely to grade the 8.5 it is listed at. Edge tanning, and some small chips out the FC. Along top there is a chip out and a bit of the top corner is gone.

GPA on this book in 7.0/7.5 is around $500/$550. It sold for $381. An illustration of my point.

I personally would pay and look it over closely. If I didn't see resto then I'd send it to CGC to be graded. Within a month I'd know if the grade was way off and there was any resto. Get my refund if there was big problem. If there isn't any problem and the book grades the 7.0/7.5 I think it will, you got a decent deal. The savings from purchasing raw paid for the grading, shipping and you had money left over for lunch. Should it get 8.0 your easily a couple of hundred bucks ahead after grading costs.

You can't tell if a book has been trimmed just from a few pics. FF 48 is notorious for miswraps and funky cuts from the printer.

Edited by Tony S

It honestly doesnt look trimmed based on the ticks in the page,

Ebay has slowly started drying up last few years for truly god deals. Deals are Still there, just a lot more work than it used to be.

best deals are found here and dealer sites lately :)

good luck with your book man, for the most part this seller isn't as sketch as he's made out to be. Usually he fully discloses all resto/trim etc.. he has lots of loyal repeat customers. Let us hope they know how to detect resto..

but for what its worth, that book looks clean. If its not restored, you got an awesome deal man!

but honestly I wouldn't risk it if I were you..

you get books back from cgc in one month?

I do when I submit books like this under the proper tiers. This is a standard tier book. 15 business days. If you watch the website and know what to look for, you'll know if it is getting a purple label in about 10 business days.

compare copy to another copy-about 1/4 inch of art is missing

And its not just mis aligned because left side is in exactly same spot...