• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

How do you guys like the new forum look?

I like it. Less clicks and screen changes for me.

This makes me nervous because I don't know what the heck you're talking about. The CGC Boards have a new look?

How do you guys like the new forum look?

I like it. Less clicks and screen changes for me.

This makes me nervous because I don't know what the heck you're talking about. The CGC Boards have a new look?

Yes. You're not seeing it?

Click on "Forums" and it should bring up all the forums at once in an overview mode with triangular expansion buttons. Much nicer than before.

Prog, whether rock or jazz, had a very short life. Started with the Beatles Revolver album, and if you don't count groups like Saga, died on the vine in the late 70s from lack of sales.

Dream Theater is about the only newer band that I think comes close, although it could more properly be termed Progressive Metal.

The visual effects on that Mind.in.a.box video are pretty amazing. That's Austrian right?

PS - do you hail from Denmark by any chance?

Guess Procol Harum could qualify too hm , although I'm no expert in prog rock. I do like many of these bands, great talent no matter the genre is always worth listening to, and it is great to be inspired by other enthusiasts. I grew up with a lot of computers and have always loved sci-fi movies (Bladerunner :cloud9:), so that did influence my taste in music.

Mind In A Box is from Austria, the music video is fan made using scenes from the 2004 movie Immortel (ad vitam). Most of these bands sell quite few albums, so if they ever make music videos the quality may only be slightly better than Trans X in 1982 :ohnoez:

I am Danish and still live in Denmark. Without me paying $100+ for each FedEx delivery, I'm sure they would be bankrupt by now :acclaim::facepalm:

Just ran across this... :)

4nAt9a8.jpg

Didn't feel like driving to the grocery store, so I raided the pantry for tonight's dinner.

So good. :cloud9:

Ditch's Pantry Raid Chicken

r5sEJOH.jpg

dy0l5IY.jpg

K6csYXQ.jpg

jOAW6KZ.jpg

jCP3s7e.jpg

bqax9Wm.jpg

nN8y20S.jpg

r8II0QC.jpg

Low calorie, low fat, low carb, low sodium, no processed food, no added sugar, ~$3/serving, 30 minutes to plate.

Modification Round #2

Made this last night, and it was a total screw-up.

I exceeded the maximum capacity of the pan and there was too much liquid. Made a bloody mess, and I had to use a second pan to reduce the sauce. Next time I'm using less ingredients and fully draining the stewed tomatoes.

pBSWx7x.jpg

mwOkRJy.jpg

LPVzgR6.jpg

Zg3e8n6.jpg

2TbjvB4.jpg

taOynbl.jpg

78PGCWY.jpg

LfJuUJJ.jpg

uA2af7T.jpg

Round #3

Made some modifications and incorporated some of Ogami's suggestions.

It was very, very good. But still not as good as my first attempt.

But now I know why. I won't go into the details, but Round #4 should be much better.

rrMYCX3.jpg

hUfQKsW.jpg

AtUJSpZ.jpg

gG0ETeh.jpg

0j3qRWL.jpg

oAv1xw4.jpg

xVmzG5V.jpg

f0f3814.jpg

cr6LZOM.jpg

N3Tj1Iw.jpg

ps5wprp.jpg

QDHGk6n.jpg

4g00Iqq.jpg

zbq4XdP.jpg

0bLPE2b.jpg

Good cooking is all about experimentation, trial and error.

Round #4

Best attempt yet.

#4 > #1 > #3 > #2

One more slight modification and it's done. :whee:

I think. :)

I dispensed with the intermediate photos.

OavvpdF.jpg

1zmNAGz.jpg

hbUDwMO.jpg

Love this.

Star Trek in Cinerama Widescreen

Forty eight years ago this week Star Trek debuted its first episode on NBC. The show, like all other shows at the time, was broadcast in the old style 4x3 aspect ratio. Using HD screen caps from my friends at Trekcore.com, I created this project of what the show would have looked like in Cinerama widescreen. As a kid the show always felt bigger and more epic than it appears to me as an adult. I was able to create these shots by waiting for the camera to pan and then I stitched the separate shots together. The result is pretty epic. It reminds me of the classic science fiction movies of the 50’s and 60’s. Suddenly the show has a “Forbidden Planet” vibe. Other shots remind me of how director Robert Wise would use a camera technique to keep the foreground and background elements in focus.

breadandcircuseshd0016_o.jpg

Having recently rewatched Star Trek as a forty two year old man after not having seen it in over two decades, I can tell you I kept thinking of fifties style sci fi and Forbidden Planet in particular, even without the ratio increase.

Especially the pilot.

Agreed.

But you could tell, removed from the romanticism of the show, it really was covering new ground and bridging classic sci fi and creating in the moment, modern sci fi.

And doing it very haltingly.

Yeah. I don't think TV got another sci fi shot in the arm until BSG, which eclipsed everything back to ST-TOS.

Shatner and Nimoy are now going to be in Star Trek 3.

When does that come out? Neither of them are getting any younger

Supposedly, sometime in 2016.

:o

I'll give 5 Ditch points to anyone who can correctly identify this. :)

miJTCa7.gif

The incredible beak from a colossal squid! (yes, yes, it's the mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni)

(Go to 2:17:00)

:acclaim: (I hope :wishluck: Man, I could REALLY use those points! :whee: - And the fame :blush: )

As I told my sons, "Before sailing the Seven Seas as a mighty pirate, I clearly remember that beak when I was diving for pearls near the southern tip of New Zealand. Luckily I was saved by my two best friends, two hungry adult sperm whales, but I never will forget that beak! When I got back on the ship, I made the painting below to remember the day"

colossal_squid_fighting_whale_598x337.jpg

:whistle::grin:

^^

I thought for sure someone would think it was a deleted scene from Prometheus. :)

Heh. I got it right before seeing the answer.

:cloud9:

Prog, whether rock or jazz, had a very short life. Started with the Beatles Revolver album, and if you don't count groups like Saga, died on the vine in the late 70s from lack of sales.

Dream Theater is about the only newer band that I think comes close, although it could more properly be termed Progressive Metal.

The visual effects on that Mind.in.a.box video are pretty amazing. That's Austrian right?

Guess Procol Harum could qualify too hm , although I'm no expert in prog rock. I do like many of these bands, great talent no matter the genre is always worth listening to, and it is great to be inspired by other enthusiasts. I grew up with a lot of computers and have always loved sci-fi movies (Bladerunner :cloud9:), so that did influence my taste in music.

Mind In A Box is from Austria, the music video is fan made using scenes from the 2004 movie Immortel (ad vitam). Most of these bands sell quite few albums, so if they ever make music videos the quality may only be slightly better than Trans X in 1982 :ohnoez:

I am Danish and still live in Denmark. Without me paying $100+ for each FedEx delivery, I'm sure they would be bankrupt by now :acclaim::facepalm:

4nAt9a8.jpg

It must be nice living in a nation where the streets are paved with gold.

I mean, that's how they pay for everything, right....?

4nAt9a8.jpg

Someone is footing the bill for all that "free" stuff.