• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Here's my two cents so listen up people!

Deadpool is being marketed to death! That's according to us adults. Kids frikkin love Deadpool. My son is obsessed. Yes got swords, guns, sweet kick skills, he can heal, and he's funny. If I were and 8y/o boy I'd love him too... Which I do anyway but not the point.

Point is, if this generation grows up continuing to love the character, then yes, it could be this generations spider-Man or what have you. That being said, I think the bubble Will shrink but not burst. I think these kids may eventually be looking for NM98.

Maybe....

I'm hoping I can sell mine and buy another on the cheap.

So, the market for NM 98 is kids and people that sound like you? I don't forsee a lot of $1000 bills coming out of those wallets, after the speculators have had their fill...

But...............these kids grow up, get a job, and then chase the books that were significant to them. Same thing happened with GA, SA, and BA books. I can remember when we used to say the same thing about people buying HG Hulk #181s for top dollar in the early 2000s.......

That being said, this past weekend we had kids in their mid teens asking for NM #98s. I was sold out a couple of shows ago, but if I had them then raw 9.0-9.2 copies would have been selling for $250+ no problem as local stores are getting $300 for them already.

Given that none of them have or will read NM 98, I am not 100% sure they will want it at all. Honestly, the same thing can be said about Amazing Fantasy 15 or Hulk 1, et all.

Since when does collecting comics have anything to do with actually 'READING' them? I've never ready most of the keys in my collection, yet somehow, they made it in to my collection. (shrug)

The kids these days are watching Deadpool on Ultimate Spiderman and Superhero Squad, playing as him on Ultimate Alliance and dressing up as him for Halloween. That, and a good movie in 2016 (asking alot from Fox), might be enough to drive demand for this book 25+ years from today.

What? I didn't realize Fox was making it... That's terrible news.... I'm selling mine NOW!!!

This past weekend I sold two cheaper copies of X-Force #2 (FN for $5 and VF- for $15) - one went to a kid that was likely only 10 or 11 as he did not have enough saved up yet for the NM #98 he wants........

I know exactly what you mean, I was trying to complete New Mutants 87-100 around that age. Problem is, I outgrew it. A Gene Colan pencilled Captain America 122 from a used book store saved me from a lifetime of regret... :grin:

Do you think this comic is rising not just because of the movie but because the character could become like a character of our generation e.g like Hulk and Spiderman in the 60's?

All the 40+ year old collectors buying these issues hope so. (thumbs u

Do you think this comic is rising not just because of the movie but because the character could become like a character of our generation e.g like Hulk and Spiderman in the 60's?

All the 40+ year old collectors buying these issues hope so. (thumbs u

BINGO!

So, the print run for New Mutants #98 was large enough to give every man/woman/child in Akron, Ohio their own copy?

Interesting.

hm

-T

Gotta move to Akron...

No, you really don't want to.

So, the print run for New Mutants #98 was large enough to give every man/woman/child in Akron, Ohio their own copy?

Interesting.

hm

-T

Gotta move to Akron...

Note to self, moving to Akron isn't worth a free NM 98.

lol

Here's my two cents so listen up people!

Deadpool is being marketed to death! That's according to us adults. Kids frikkin love Deadpool. My son is obsessed. Yes got swords, guns, sweet kick skills, he can heal, and he's funny. If I were and 8y/o boy I'd love him too... Which I do anyway but not the point.

Point is, if this generation grows up continuing to love the character, then yes, it could be this generations spider-Man or what have you. That being said, I think the bubble Will shrink but not burst. I think these kids may eventually be looking for NM98.

Maybe....

I'm hoping I can sell mine and buy another on the cheap.

So, the market for NM 98 is kids and people that sound like you? I don't forsee a lot of $1000 bills coming out of those wallets, after the speculators have had their fill...

But...............these kids grow up, get a job, and then chase the books that were significant to them. Same thing happened with GA, SA, and BA books. I can remember when we used to say the same thing about people buying HG Hulk #181s for top dollar in the early 2000s.......

That being said, this past weekend we had kids in their mid teens asking for NM #98s. I was sold out a couple of shows ago, but if I had them then raw 9.0-9.2 copies would have been selling for $250+ no problem as local stores are getting $300 for them already.

I think the bigger question is: "will today's youth collect vintage comics of their favorite characters?"

Given that none of them have or will read NM 98, I am not 100% sure they will want it at all. Honestly, the same thing can be said about Amazing Fantasy 15 or Hulk 1, et all.

I am not sold that the vintage comic collectible market won't completely collapse post retirement of Gen Y... I hope not.

Why retirement of Gen Y? I'd say the death of Gen Xs will be the end of comic book collecting as we know it but that's not for another 30 years.

Gen Y or Millennials were born starting in 1982; at least the first five years of this generation was heavily influenced by comics in the early 90's and a number of them collect high value (mostly silver age or later) comics. They are also beginning to hit their "buying prime," hence large speculation on books like NM 98 that clearly fell squarely in their youth.

I am not saying you are wrong, just a POV.

:shrug:

They are probably the last run for the rule of 25 for comics, as the new generation that followed never bought comics in that quantity and found internet and video games. We won`t find many people heavily influenced by comics in the late 90's and up compared to a generation heavily influenced by comics in the early 90's.

Interesting.

hm

-T

Gotta move to Akron...

What happened to Akron? Dying town?

Goodyear is a shell of what it was and all the production is done overseas so the town is pretty much half empty. There are pockets of success but as a whole you do not want to live in Akron.

It`s speculators who are buying it from other speculators for a flip because of the movie.

You will find that the newer generation are spending money and playing

screen480x480.jpeg

and not paying big bucks for NM #98.

It`s speculators who are buying it from other speculators for a flip because of the movie.

screen480x480.jpeg

My 11 year old daughter started playing it. It looks pretty boring to me but so does Farmville and those type of games.

Interesting.

hm

-T

Gotta move to Akron...

What happened to Akron? Dying town?

Some of my best memories as a late teen and young man are rooted in Akron. :cloud9:

They are probably the last run for the rule of 25 for comics, as the new generation that followed never bought comics in that quantity and found internet and video games. We won`t find many people heavily influenced by comics in the late 90's and up compared to a generation heavily influenced by comics in the early 90's.

I heard that buyers and readers are actually increasing. So all those young people who have been buying or reading comics for the past 15 years won't count because their memories won't be nostalgic?

My 11 year old daughter started playing it. It looks pretty boring to me but so does Farmville and those type of games.

Minecraft is a raging success.

Minecraft is a raging success.

Yes it is. And it seems to have some lasting power. I just never got into it and now it seems kind of silly. But I know a lot of people that think comic books are silly.

screen480x480.jpeg

Microsoft just bought Minecraft for 2.5 billion. It`s a phenomena like the Walking Dead.

MINECRAFT

I heard that buyers and readers are actually increasing. So all those young people who have been buying or reading comics for the past 15 years won't count because their memories won't be nostalgic?

No hard number but I would guess the new (25 years and younger) readers are a very minor part of the increase in comic sales. The investors, speculators, and older (over 35) people picking books up for the first time is fueling the increase. There are some new readers and collectors but in such small numbers compared to the earlier generation.