• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

Unfortunately whether or not "PQ" matters can only be addressed anecdotally. But I can pretty much assure you that any mainstream book with a high slab rate u name I can produce in grade sales results where there is no or very small difference in price based solely on "PQ". Why? Because it is just plain impossible to quantify or prove whether or not the "PQ" was the sole deciding factor as to why a book went for more or less. I don't think that the "PQ" affected the price on that action 1 in the least. And I certainly don't think it made a one million dollar difference. It's an action 1, the book would have likely sold for the same if it had "cream pages". But we can never actually know either way.

As far as you 9.6 NM is concerned, sounds like it's worth a press re-sub.

As for the turtles book, I'm thinking it will go for $8500ish. (thumbs u

-J.

I...disagree. :D

Unfortunately whether or not "PQ" matters can only be addressed anecdotally. But I can pretty much assure you that any mainstream book with a high slab rate u name I can produce in grade sales results where there is no or very small difference in price based solely on "PQ". Why? Because it is just plain impossible to quantify or prove whether or not the "PQ" was the sole deciding factor as to why a book went for more or less. I don't think that the "PQ" affected the price on that action 1 in the least. And I certainly don't think it made a one million dollar difference. It's an action 1, the book would have likely sold for the same if it had "cream pages". But we can never actually know either way.

-J.

I would imagine that the "PQ" CGC has on the label is about the last thing people wading in Action Comics #1 waters were looking at. It's an Action Comics #1 after all, the fact that is also said "White Pages" on the label is a happy bonus. (thumbs u Pretty much like with any slabbed comic, when you really think about it. Barring "Brittle", "Slightly Brittle", and maybe "Dark Tan" to "Tan", you can take "PQ" on the label with a grain of salt. I would never recommend paying a "premium" for it, because (barring some random BA or CA book that has "CR/OW pages" on the label) no "premium" can be consistently observed nor quantified.

-J.

-J.

I would imagine that the "PQ" CGC has on the label is about the last thing people wading in Action Comics #1 waters were looking at. It's an Action Comics #1 after all, the fact that is also said "White Pages" on the label is a happy bonus. (thumbs u Pretty much like with any slabbed comic, when you really think about it. Barring "Brittle", "Slightly Brittle", and maybe "Dark Tan" to "Tan", you can take "PQ" on the label with a grain of salt. I would never recommend paying a "premium" for it, because (barring some random BA or CA book that has "CR/OW pages" on the label) no "premium" can be consistently observed nor quantified.

-J.

The other 9.0 (CR/OW) sold for $2.16M. This 9.0 sold for $3.207. The WP made that book the best available copy. Had it had the same page quality as the Cage copy, no doubt in my mind it doesn't fetch the same amount.

And resubbing a OW/W may get you a WP, but more than likely not. When you have WP, no resubbing necessary.

-J.

-J.

The other 9.0 (CR/OW) sold for $2.16M. This 9.0 sold for $3.207. The WP made that book the best available copy. Had it had the same page quality as the Cage copy, no doubt in my mind it doesn't fetch the same amount.

And resubbing a OW/W may get you a WP, but more than likely not. When you have WP, no resubbing necessary.

You just can't make that assumption though. That price increase is in fact far more likely attributable to inflation and the fact that it was the first 9.0 to come to the public market in years. Nobody paid a "One Million Dollar" premium, just because the label says the book has "White Pages". In fact, the book was widely derided for being a "manufactured 9.0" over in the GA section. The book sold for what it sold because it is tied for being the highest graded copy of the most expensive comic book ever. It having "white pages" on the label is just a happy bonus. The book would have gotten what it got regardless IMO. No one can prove either way though.

-J.

under 8k

Somewhat bearish on the turtles are we? :baiting:

-J.

I've noticed less WTB threads on TMNT #1 recently and more FS threads with the books going unsold (even after repeated price drops).

I've noticed that as well. But mainly in the lower grades. The 9.6/9.8's have seemed to have held up far better in auctions and on ebay however.

-J.

Any predictions on the 9.6 in the pedigree auction?

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=48456

-J.

PQ may hurt it a little. $7700

-J.

Little $10 wager bud? Closest to actual sale price. :cool:

hm Sure, why not! :wishluck:

-J.

:applause: (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

Good luck guys. :sumo: Lets get it on!

-J.

-J.

-J.

:applause: (thumbs u

$8,232....think that means I win. :acclaim:

Shall I PM you my PayPal info? :insane::baiting:

-J.

-J.

^^

PM me your Paypal info bud, will send it right over. (thumbs u

What sucks for the seller of the book, he only cleared a little over $7300. :cry:

Your TMNT #1 club member credentials should be revoked for doubting Turtle Power. lol

On a side note, this went for a grand more than the one on CC with "White Pages" on the label. :whistle::foryou:

-J.

-J.

^^

PM me your Paypal info bud, will send it right over. (thumbs u

What sucks for the seller of the book, he only cleared a little over $7300. :cry:

Your TMNT #1 club member credentials should be revoked for doubting Turtle Power. lol

On a side note, this went for a grand more than the one on CC with "White Pages" on the label. :whistle::foryou:

-J.

I underestimated the power of the Eastman and Laird sketch/sigs. :lol:

BTW, that CC book as a weak 9.6, and the scan was just awful.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=569200