• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink - lose the stickers PLEASE! (You Too METROPOLIS!)

81 posts in this topic

As I already blabbed about earlier in this thread, I was incredibly happy to find out that an old post that said olive oil got the sticker off was right on...

after a few minutes, it came right off.

I'll have to try that. (:

I agree!! I really hate (dislike is too tame a word) those stickers. I remove every one on the books I buy from them (goo gone is my weapon of choice - and it works w patience and effort). If they think they are advertising they are only in the sense that AOL did by spamming the world w CDs. I keep going back to CLINK because they consistently have excellent books in their auctions and I'm willing to put up with the sticker *spoon* to get the book, just like we put up w AOL to get ubiquitous "cheap" internet access. That customer service model however is not sustainable. They need to start listening because like many on this thread, all things being equal, I would just as soon spend my hard earned $ elsewhere to avoid the annoyance, and that will eventually happen.

Hey, different strokes. I don't like them on my slabs - and as I demonstrated in the original post neither do buyers of my books. If nothing else, I find it kinda ballsy of ComicLink to feel they can mark their territory on every book that passes through them. I mean what else did they do but pack and ship somebody else's books, and pocket a percentage of the sale. They didn't find the book. I just think they should get removable stickers if they're going to continue doing it, so those of us who don't love them on the back of our CGC slabs can remove them easily. I don't think that's too big a deal to ask.

Do they post on this forum, have they nothing to say when their customers are obviously here? (shrug)

Do they post on this forum, have they nothing to say when their customers are obviously here? (shrug)

They post here....and read or "hear," whichever you want to use.

I've complained many times and essentially get the same response: none

So I figured there are two options:

1) continue to buy, or

2) stop buying.

Since a good deal can be had, I'll buy from them and remove the stickers when I get the books. I NEVER send out a book w/anyone's sticker on it.

As I've stated before, here is your answer to these stickers:

pdi-adhesive-tape-remover-pads.jpg

Available in packs of 100 on Amazon

Don't get me wrong, great books pass through comiclink and they attract stuff from the best collections and dealers I'm sure. It's not the books I'm complaining about, it's the stickers. Sure they need a serious update on their website - but who doesn't. I'm not trying to bash them - just this one little peeve that apparently some others seem to share. I bet even those who've said the stickers don't bother them would choose no sticker if given a choice.

As I already blabbed about earlier in this thread, I was incredibly happy to find out that an old post that said olive oil got the sticker off was right on...

after a few minutes, it came right off.

I'll have to try that. (:

Trying this right now - on a Metro sticker no less. I didn't realize they also did it. :eek:

:news:

I changed the name of the thread and added Metro to the sticker-shame list after I discovered this (tsk)

IMG_1663_zps9703b1e9.jpg

I haven't really bought many slabbed books from Metropolis in a while. I forgot they stickered the slabs too.

I'm home from work today, nursing a sinus problem - so I did a little experiment and used olive oil and used WD-40 only as I couldn't find the can of Goof-Off. But if the either of these hadn't worked I would have found it.

The olive-oil didn't budge the label, just made it oily.

The WD-40 dissolved the glue and the label lifted cleanly with virtual no residue.

Some day I'd like to test the Goof-Off if I can find the can.

I'm sure I have other books with labels.

Here's some more photos of the experiment:

Olive Oil applied: IMG_1666_zps334cc1f6.jpg

Olive Oil not doing much after a few minutes IMG_1667_zps50679a22.jpg

After a few more minutes

IMG_1668_zpse1b1c13c.jpg

IMG_1669_zps5e9ac96a.jpg

After trying for a while, I cleaned off the oil and this is what I had:

IMG_1670_zpsaea7de3d.jpg

Next: WD-40

IMG_1671_zps457ea01f.jpg

WD-40 Making very good progress after about 5 minutes.

IMG_1672_zpsf5fffe6b.jpg

WD-40 Comes clean off, with only a little residue left over.

IMG_1673_zpsaa97d70d.jpg

WD-40 After another little squirt I polished off all the remaining residue and oil and book is clean and shiny.

IMG_1674_zps68a06089.jpg

WD40, almost, but not quite as useful as Duct Tape You just can't do an emergency hem with WD40;)

Indeed DUCT TAPE wins the most useful thing ever, HANDS DOWN :acclaim:

I have used Goo-Gone on those worthless ComicLink stickers many times. I have it down to 5-minutes or less for each book. I try to remove the stickers when the books arrive.

Every now and then I get frustrated with those ^$%$ stickers, but I keep going back and bidding on their books :frustrated:

I have used Goo-Gone on those worthless ComicLink stickers many times. I have it down to 5-minutes or less for each book. I try to remove the stickers when the books arrive.

Every now and then I get frustrated with those ^$%$ stickers, but I keep going back and bidding on their books :frustrated:

Book=good :grin:

Stickers=bad :(

It's pretty simple, and whats bad about 100% customer satisfaction?

I think it'd be nice if something positive came of this thread instead of simply a rantrant

This is like those car dealerships that put stickers on the back and plates on the front of vehicles to advertise (for free) their business.

My mom bought a Camry a year ago. The vehicle was test drove without a plate or holes for the screws on the front. When she went to close the deal they had screwed a plate through the plastic holes on the front bumper. It was a deal breaker and they had to fix it prior to the deal being finalized.

I understand why businesses do this too. I guess they figure 99% of everyone won't even blink and some people will learn about their business through this type of advertising. Pizzing off a few customers in the process (and in the minority) is a small prize to pay.