• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

Gotcha Adam.

Wish this book good could go in some TMNT set though - somewhere.

Any ideas where it could fit Adam? Or Anybody?

I believe there are enough people out there with enough random slabs of TMNT stuff out there that we could have a catch-all TMNT registry set outside of the normal sets that exist. TMNT has so many one-offs and mini-series' that there's no real shortage of books to be listed. Just off the top of my head:

Turtlemania

Anything Goes

Grim Jack

Turtle Soup

First Comics Graphic Novels

Times Pipeline

Gobbledygook

Haunted Pizza

etc etc etc

Basically, people would just need to agree on what qualifies. It could be just books that are published by Mirage. Only books not published by Mirage. Parodies. Cameos. Only books from the 80's. Anything before 2000. Or you could just make it a true catch-all and let it be for any TMNT book outside of the main runs (volume 1, 5, etc.).

I've suggested this option before to others but have never formally requested it as it's not a registry set I would keep up with much. However, it could be fun to see if others wanted to agree on some parameters.

Just my 2c

You know, an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type of set sounds like a set Mikey would approve of! (thumbs u

Let me start this post by giving a HUGE thank-you to Adam(Peter Palmer) for getting this book for me. It was no simple task and of course Adam came through like he always does. So, thank-you Adam, I now own a truly awesome piece of TMNT history. So here it is below. #68 of 100, Turtlemania Silver. :cloud9: I could care less about the grade of this book as it's so rare that just owning one is a true honor and privelge. It presents WAY better than the grade which is that way because of a spline split and it having signatures and on the back cover. Thanks again Adam!! :acclaim:

TurtleManiaSilverFront.jpg

Now to find a gold! :shy:

That is awesome! Congrats!

my suggestion is to use USPS express shipping (overnight) for high priced books - high-priced meaning starting around $1500-$2000. From my experience, the insurance cost is a lot lower because there are much fewer days to insure, and the books have made it there every time without any issues. However I have not priced registered mail, so I do not know if express is more economical than registered. It is at least less stressful as the books are only with USPS for 24 hours or so.

To ChadH, congratulations on getting the the Silver Turtlemania! From my Google searches, it was at one time being sold by Motor City Comics.

I had been looking for a Silver Turtlemania since I was the underbidder in that eBay auction in 2012. I have kept in touch with that seller as he indicated that he had another Silver one but did not want to sell it yet. I have kept on occassionally asking him if he is ready to sell, and he finally said yes. This arrived in the mail this weekend:

TurtlemaniaSilver12of1001_zps22b6ca45.jpg

TurtlemaniaSilver12of1002_zpsb1d433d9.jpg

I now have the whole set. I just need to get the Silver slabbed.

TurtlemaniaSet_zps14a5e576.jpg

Great shots! Thanks for posting!

Here's a picture that I was very excited to take. Recently, after several years, I was FINALLY able to get the complete set of the City at War storyline from TMNT all graded in 9.8! :banana: Here's the group shot:

IMG_2991.jpg

Nice set! I am sure that finding those in 9.8 is a chore because of the black cover. Impressive!

I'd probably just request it's own registry. I think Solsen produced 7 books total? Maybe more. I'd love to get them all just gotta find time. Adam can probably give you a definitive total. (thumbs u

Solson published 8 books in total with 2 of them having cover printing errors. There could be more errors though...Solson did a crappy job and they even misspelled Raphael's name (i.e., Rafael). These books were creative ideas that were poorly executed.

How-To-Draw-Eastman-and-Lairds-TMNT_1st-print-1986-196x300.jpgHow-To-Draw-Eastman-and-Lairds-TMNT_variant-drab-cover_1st-print-1986-194x300.jpgTMNT-Martial-Arts-Training-Manual-01_1st-print-1986-202x300.jpgTMNT-Training-Manual-02-MICHAELANGELO-1st-print-1986-204x300.jpgTMNT-Training-Manual-02-MICHAELANGELO_Error_1st-print-1986-204x300.jpgTMNT-Training-Manual-03-DONATELLO_1st-print-1986-201x300.jpgTMNT-Training-Manual-04-RAFAEL_1st-print-1986-200x300.jpgTMNT-Training-Manual-05-LEONARDO_1st-print-1986-199x300.jpgTMNT-Martial-Arts-Training-Manual-06_1st-print-1987-198x300.jpgTMNT-Teach-Karate-Training-Manual-Vol-I_1st-print-1986-197x300.jpg

I saw one of the "How to draw TMNT" books with the faded cover with a BIN of $1100. Is that thing in high demand? I picked up the whole set, minus the "errors", for $40. I have never seen the faded Michaelangelo.

Edited by Parabellum

I saw one of the "How to draw TMNT" books with the faded cover with a BIN of $1100. Is that thing in high demand? I picked up the whole set, minus the "errors", for $40 (I probably over paid). I have never seen the faded Michaelangelo.

The faded cover issues aren't necessarily in high demand but they are fairly rare. However, I bet with a little work you could find them somewhere in a back-issue bin for $1. That's how I found mine...and how I find a lot of my rare stuff. Searching through boxes upon boxes of old comic books from either estate sales or closed comic book stores.

:o

I take it back! NOW IT EXPLODED. I totally want that artwork for the SNES game!!!!

(worship)

:blush:

thx! Have to get a better picture of it one of these days, that's a dungeon special right there ;)

Here's a recent acquisition that I get a kick out of because it's a little different. Donatello is my favorite turtle and I've already got Michael Dooney commissions of him both in the past and in his current incarnation. I decided that I also wanted to try for a "future Donatello". In Mirage stories, there have been one or two stories that take place in the future that show Don wearing a new outfit. My previous 2 commissions were each in a different medium, so I asked for this one to be different still. Here's the result (in charcoal):

TMNTDooney-FutureDonatello.jpg

Yes, love me some Dooney. And that charcoal is pretty sweet! I always liked that bandana design for Don (actually liked most of the "alternate costumes" they thought about using for a while...) Big congrats!

Here's another bit I was able to get scanned in from my Baltimore books (great show!). It's not often these guys make an appearance, so when my wife got me these books for my birthday, it was a no-brainer to get them signed. I couldn't tell what the grade was going to be as the cover stock is very unique (VERY glossy). I was pleasantly surprised to see the grades, especially since she got them in the mail without any bags or boards.

Casey Jones: Down by Northeast #1&2 signed by John Totleben & Rick Veitch:

CaseyJones-NorthbyDowneast1SS.jpgCaseyJones-NorthbyDowneast2SS.jpg

Here's another bit I was able to get scanned in from my Baltimore books (great show!). It's not often these guys make an appearance, so when my wife got me these books for my birthday, it was a no-brainer to get them signed. I couldn't tell what the grade was going to be as the cover stock is very unique (VERY glossy). I was pleasantly surprised to see the grades, especially since she got them in the mail without any bags or boards.

Casey Jones: Down by Northeast #1&2 signed by John Totleben & Rick Veitch:

CaseyJones-NorthbyDowneast1SS.jpgCaseyJones-NorthbyDowneast2SS.jpg

These are freakin cool. You got the goodies Adam! That Dooney is sick. For me, if it's not Eastman or Laird, it's Dooney. I'm hoping to get another sketch from him next week!