• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Speaking of serendipitous finds at true junk sales...here's one of mine from this past weekend, courtesy of our local private elementary school's "Fall Festival and Flea Market":

ayesha1.jpg

ayesha2.jpg

It's an American first edition from 1905. Other than a little foxing, it's in very nice shape for a 100+ year-old adventure/fantasy novel by one of the architects of the genre. The tissue paper separating the frontispiece from the title page is still in-tact, and all of the interior illustrations (printed on heavier, glossier stock) are present and accounted for.

I found it sitting on top of a box full of dirty old Chiltons auto repair manuals from the 1980s. Price was $2.

It really is fun seeing collections being purchased from all sorts of wholesale sources. But the purpose of this thread, at least as I understood it, was to showcase comics and related items "found in the wild" at garage sales, flea markets, antique malls, estate sales, etc.

Such finds are serendipitous and surprising, which makes them fun to hear about ("I was rooting through a stack of 1930s license plates, and lo and behold I found this copy of Four Color #74!!"), whereas Craigslist scores, responses to "want to buy comics" ads, buying a collection from the friend of a co-worker's friend who knows you buy comics, etc., etc. are of a different nature entirely.

Not bad...just different.

Of course, it's not a big deal, really, either way. And I'm always amazed by what people are still able to unearth these days. But at some point, maybe we should consider splitting off the want ad/CL/big collection type scores into their own thread, and leave this one clear for the true junk sale surprises...

I've stopped posting comic pics unless it's something unusual

I like see the odd items that are truly rare like...

Speaking of serendipitous finds at true junk sales...here's one of mine from this past weekend, courtesy of our local private elementary school's "Fall Festival and Flea Market":

ayesha1.jpg

ayesha2.jpg

It's an American first edition from 1905. Other than a little foxing, it's in very nice shape for a 100+ year-old adventure/fantasy novel by one of the architects of the genre. The tissue paper separating the frontispiece from the title page is still in-tact, and all of the interior illustrations (printed on heavier, glossier stock) are present and accounted for.

I found it sitting on top of a box full of dirty old Chiltons auto repair manuals from the 1980s. Price was $2.

This!

Looks like the art is very nice! Congrats!

It really is fun seeing collections being purchased from all sorts of wholesale sources. But the purpose of this thread, at least as I understood it, was to showcase comics and related items "found in the wild" at garage sales, flea markets, antique malls, estate sales, etc.

Such finds are serendipitous and surprising, which makes them fun to hear about ("I was rooting through a stack of 1930s license plates, and lo and behold I found this copy of Four Color #74!!"), whereas Craigslist scores, responses to "want to buy comics" ads, buying a collection from the friend of a co-worker's friend who knows you buy comics, etc., etc. are of a different nature entirely.

Not bad...just different.

Of course, it's not a big deal, really, either way. And I'm always amazed by what people are still able to unearth these days. But at some point, maybe we should consider splitting off the want ad/CL/big collection type scores into their own thread, and leave this one clear for the true junk sale surprises...

I've stopped posting comic pics unless it's something unusual

I like see the odd items that are truly rare like...

This is the first time I've found anything worth talking about in my area. If I had luck like you guys I would probably be bored of posting also.

I have nowhere else to share this other than my store's Facebook page, so I enjoy posting it here. At least a few of you reply. No one else in my life cares. :-)

Well, I shouldn't say that...April cares when she's interested in a new pair of shoes, or a new sweater, or a new outfit for Everly, or whatever else she spends my money on. :)

Peace,

Chip

I have nowhere else to share this other than my store's Facebook page, so I enjoy posting it here. At least a few of you reply. No one else in my life cares. :-)

Well, I shouldn't say that...April cares when she's interested in a new pair of shoes, or a new sweater, or a new outfit for Everly, or whatever else she spends my money on. :)

Peace,

Chip

I care about the New Teen Titans #2 and Iron Fist #14! :baiting:

I found some real junk on my last CL trip and was there for 2+ hours as he recounted the entire story of each comic book he picked up.

As a fan of this thread I say it should be open to all comers. These are less "finds in the wild" than some random garage sale purchase, but I still enjoy them and hope people keep sharing!

I forget - is this the week where we malign Chip for getting good deals, or is it the one where we laud his good fortune?

I never get the text message updates from the secret board cabal!

(shrug)

Their still in debate.

malign. he's not due for a break till Christmas.

I had my first CL buy the other day. Not king's ransom type of find. I picked up a Justice League America 69 second print, the entire Robin I mini series, two copies of Batman 457 and 6 or so pre death of Superman triangle books for 1.00 each issue. Everything was at least NM. Somebody had all ready stopped by and bought all of his ASM...for a dollar a piece.

I just bought a collection of 1100 books from an online ad for about 450, the guy was really nice so I gave him a little bit more than what he was asking. It was the most bizarre collection of books I had ever seen, mostly bronze, but silver, copper and even a spattering of golden age.

I will post some pics later, nothing huge in there, but some decent books for sure.

About two-three weeks ago I found that Merry Marvel Marching Society button and last week I picked this up.

Bought a bunch of comics and there were stored in this...

1_zpsa0582412.jpg

Not looking good...

2_zps03f66290.jpg

Oh-Oh...

3_zps1c0e79b0.jpg

Better...Unfortunately, most of the Nick Fury's are ROUGH.

8_zps8a55d9f0.jpg

Getting better...

4_zpsae56a70e.jpg

A few random goodies...

9_zps4a4ab0d8.jpg 10_zps99006a29.jpg

And finally, happiness!

11_zps9a3458b3.jpg 12_zps0258c894.jpg IMG_1696_zps8f4ce55f.jpg

Also, along with those graphic novels, this was at the bottom. I posted this earlier in the unverified sig thread that was going. Best of Spidey TPB from 1986 and yep, it is signed! Looks authentic to me! This book immediately went onto my book shelf.

23c19406-1ad7-4cad-9d31-070ca55eaadd_zps6b7fa08f.jpg 6_zpsa1e1393e.jpg