• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oct. 31 Days of Fright: post your HALLOWEEN-esque Covers
11 11

1,714 posts in this topic

Hi all, wanted to kick this post off at Midnight, but i'll start a little early. Gist? :From now till Halloween (31 days of fright)post your Halloween or 'Halloween-esque' covers. Why Halloween-esque? I don't think many obviously Halloween covers(Jack o Lanterns, kids trick or treating) were produced during the golden age as say Christmas covers. So, covers that have things we think of when we think of Halloween : Witches, Black Cats, Cauldrons, Ghosts, Creepy Houses, Bats, Full Moons, Grave Yards, Living Dead, Monsters, Skeletons, Masks, and Vampires (that's 13 !) will all count. I'll get it started with these (cue Michael Jackson Thriller song): Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies 25 (an obvious Halloween cover) LooneyTunesampMerrieMelodies25_zpsc7912bd4.jpg

Next, Hangman Comics #7, the grave yard and coffin with the full moon and the looming image of our hero complete with bats(out 'batting' Batman!!) certainly screams HalloweenHangmanComics7_zps13c59ea9.jpg

I've shown this one plenty before, but here it is again, Manhunt #9, Grim Reaper driving the 'D' for death train to mow down our heroine Star. Complete with skull shape captionManhunt9_zpsde4465e6.jpg

And last(for now anyway, depending how boardie participation goes) is this indulgence, forgive me golden age purists, i know this is a bronze age book :sumo: but this has been one of my favorite covers since my 9 year old eyes saw it back on the news stands in 78. Imo one of the top 25 Batman covers of ANY era, courtesy of Marshal Rogers! Even the new Comic Book Market Place year book just published two weeks ago finally gave this book some love saying it's a travesty it has not received enough recognition. Glad they finally caught up to the 9 year old me. Creepy cover (thumbs u C'mon boardies, get in the 'Spirit' DCSpecialSeries15_zps857b044b.jpg

Edited by Sagii

Thanks Gino, Miss Fury, dressed as a black cat and a full moon! I like full moons myself :blush:

lol here as usual is my personal favorite!!!! fits in pretty well me thinks :grin:

9398484809_5c3b9fd717_b.jpg

(worship)(worship) Absolutely does! Let my copy of this go a few years ago to obtain two other books. Regret it every day! :(

2e3832e7-5523-462c-a28e-8fd8530db2d6_zps0628eb59.jpg

That's three; I'll scare up s'more later! :insane:

Great stuff DM! Nice to see the super hero stuff with a horror 'edge', but it could not be Halloween thread with out an EC.Great book! Thanks for participating in the thread!

Great stuff DM! Nice to see the super hero stuff with a horror 'edge', but it could not be Halloween thread with out an EC.Great book! Thanks for participating in the thread!

Well, if you liked those, here's another Halloween-esque GA hero cover that's a classic of the genre...

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

... and I'll gladly inject more if these wear off. smiley-wink2.gif