• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,029 posts in this topic

Pressing won't improve the colour cracks along the spine. I would just leave it raw. You got a deal at $10 for a book that might be worth $40 to the right eBay bidder. But pressing it and slabbing it sounds like you're polishing a lump of coal trying to get a diamond. Pressed and slabbed, it's still only worth $40, at most. You likely have something else in your collection more worthy of the CGC treatment.

Just put it in a Mylite/Arklite comic bag with an acid free backing board and two sheets of acid free paper inside the covers and keep it in a room that doesn't get too hot or humid. That's all you need to do to preserve your comics for posterity.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

I get a headache when I look at the pricing chart for slabbing non-modern comics. What would it cost to press and slab this silver age book? $25 on a slow-as-molasses turnaround time? If that is indeed the price range, it makes sense to me to go through that process for a comic that is worth significantly more than the slabbing charge, e.g., I can understand paying $25 to slab a book that is worth over $125. But to pay $25 to slab a book that is only worth $40? Why? If your goal is to preserve it, Hepcat's suggestion makes more sense.

And don't get me started on people who spend $25 to slab a $4 copy of JLA that came out last week. "it's a 9.6!" Yep. And there's a dozen more copies just like it in the back issue bin, bagged and boarded when they arrived in store. It's still only worth $4.

The only reason why I want it slabbed is so Ic an preserved it for the next 30 years. lol!

I don't know but there is something in a slabbed book that I like looking especially if I want to keep it long term. It's not about the money but the presentation.

And don't get me started on people who spend $25 to slab a $4 copy of JLA that came out last week. "it's a 9.6!" Yep. And there's a dozen more copies just like it in the back issue bin, bagged and boarded when they arrived in store. It's still only worth $4.

Agreed. I just don't understand the behaviour of these people. It makes no sense.

(shrug)

I tell ya, I'm really liking these Don & Maggie books. They are so fresh in hand. I assumed the books were bought 2nd hand because of the 'collection' designation but I wonder if they bought some of these directly off the stands ?

lf2-1.jpg

lfCA77FHGY.jpg

I tell ya, I'm really liking these Don & Maggie books. They are so fresh in hand. I assumed the books were bought 2nd hand because of the 'collection' designation but I wonder if they bought some of these directly off the stands ?

It's possible. I sure have seen some of these books from this collection being sold lately. Is this a newly discovered collection?

It's possible. I sure have seen some of these books from this collection being sold lately. Is this a newly discovered collection?

From my understanding, Heritage bought these books directly from Maggie Thompson and they have been auctioning it off. The bigger books sold first and the 'dreg' is being auctioned off slowly in their weekly auctions.

lf2-1.jpg

lfCA77FHGY.jpg

I would say Don and Maggie brought them from the rack .