• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Love this.

Star Trek in Cinerama Widescreen

Forty eight years ago this week Star Trek debuted its first episode on NBC. The show, like all other shows at the time, was broadcast in the old style 4x3 aspect ratio. Using HD screen caps from my friends at Trekcore.com, I created this project of what the show would have looked like in Cinerama widescreen. As a kid the show always felt bigger and more epic than it appears to me as an adult. I was able to create these shots by waiting for the camera to pan and then I stitched the separate shots together. The result is pretty epic. It reminds me of the classic science fiction movies of the 50’s and 60’s. Suddenly the show has a “Forbidden Planet” vibe. Other shots remind me of how director Robert Wise would use a camera technique to keep the foreground and background elements in focus.

breadandcircuseshd0016_o.jpg

Having recently rewatched Star Trek as a forty two year old man after not having seen it in over two decades, I can tell you I kept thinking of fifties style sci fi and Forbidden Planet in particular, even without the ratio increase.

Especially the pilot.

Agreed.

But you could tell, removed from the romanticism of the show, it really was covering new ground and bridging classic sci fi and creating in the moment, modern sci fi.

And doing it very haltingly.

Yeah. I don't think TV got another sci fi shot in the arm until BSG, which eclipsed everything back to ST-TOS.

Shatner and Nimoy are now going to be in Star Trek 3.

Love this.

Forty eight years ago this week Star Trek debuted its first episode on NBC. The show, like all other shows at the time, was broadcast in the old style 4x3 aspect ratio. Using HD screen caps from my friends at Trekcore.com, I created this project of what the show would have looked like in Cinerama widescreen. As a kid the show always felt bigger and more epic than it appears to me as an adult. I was able to create these shots by waiting for the camera to pan and then I stitched the separate shots together. The result is pretty epic. It reminds me of the classic science fiction movies of the 50’s and 60’s. Suddenly the show has a “Forbidden Planet” vibe. Other shots remind me of how director Robert Wise would use a camera technique to keep the foreground and background elements in focus.

Having recently rewatched Star Trek as a forty two year old man after not having seen it in over two decades, I can tell you I kept thinking of fifties style sci fi and Forbidden Planet in particular, even without the ratio increase.

Especially the pilot.

Agreed.

But you could tell, removed from the romanticism of the show, it really was covering new ground and bridging classic sci fi and creating in the moment, modern sci fi.

Yeah. I don't think TV got another sci fi shot in the arm until BSG, which eclipsed everything back to ST-TOS.

When does that come out? Neither of them are getting any younger

Love this.

Especially the pilot.

Agreed.

When does that come out? Neither of them are getting any younger

Supposedly, sometime in 2016.