• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw the new Captain America, The Winter Soldier

525 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tip.

We were watching the first one last night to get my wife up to speed before watching Winter Soldier and we were having the same problem with the dialogue.

My sons had to keep adjusting the volume up and down, really irritating.

+1

Need to see if my TV has that setting. Find the same problem watching these types of movies with Comcast On Demand or Netflix.

He died and was brought back to life? Why? Why some dude at the bottom of a gorge all smashed up instead of any other dude?

Because he was found and recognized as the accomplice of Captain America. He isn't just some dude, and what could be better than using this weapon against your enemy?

It was also explained in the movie (briefly) that the experiments that the Skull and Zola were performing on Bucky helped him to survive the fall. I don't know how per se but they did reference back to the experimentation that was being done on Bucky post train scene.

He died and was brought back to life? Why? Why some dude at the bottom of a gorge all smashed up instead of any other dude?

Because he was found and recognized as the accomplice of Captain America. He isn't just some dude, and what could be better than using this weapon against your enemy?

It was also explained in the movie (briefly) that the experiments that the Skull and Zola were performing on Bucky helped him to survive the fall. I don't know how per se but they did reference back to the experimentation that was being done on Bucky post train scene.

I think Cap mentioned this - something to the effect that Bucky's unit had all been captured in 1943 and Zola was experimenting on them - something changed him that allowed bucky to live through the fall into the gorge.

Thanks for the tip.

We were watching the first one last night to get my wife up to speed before watching Winter Soldier and we were having the same problem with the dialogue.

My sons had to keep adjusting the volume up and down, really irritating.

+1

Need to see if my TV has that setting. Find the same problem watching these types of movies with Comcast On Demand or Netflix.

...we just got he DVD from Netflix....... WOW......What a movie ! ...... we'll have to buy this one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Russo Brothers Talk CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER's Oscar Chances

---------------------

"It’s strange that the comic book film genre is so often thought of only in terms of its economic merits. Yes, it’s shockingly popular and continues to grow, and , yes, the box office success of these films can often embarrassingly outweigh their merits, but as Christopher Nolan perhaps first proved, real and valuable film making can be achieved with the genre. It’s sad that some people, seemingly soured by having to endure the massive cultural presence and expectations that even mediocre or poor examples of the genre can generate, react by trying to reject the genre as a whole," Joe Russo told Deadline in a recent interview.

"Snubbing comic book movies because of their ubiquity is akin to dismissing the western as matinee fodder," he adds pointing out a major flaw in how the Academy decides on movies which are worthy of being nominated. Even expanding the Best Picture category to include a larger number of releases has just resulted in more of the same being recognized.

---------------------

Give us our Oscar!

:sumo:

capwsmattfergusonbanner1.jpg

Alternate HYDRA Scene From Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I like this better. More of a teaser for future Zola appearances. Funny how they made sure we got a Scar Jo butt shot when Steve is carrying Widow. :D

Paramount has hired Dean DeBlois to direct a live-action Micronauts movie. Paramount successfully marketed Iron Man, Thor and Captain America before Disney swooped in (after buying Marvel in 2009) with The Avengers. Now Paramount (like much of the industry) finds itself trying to create new franchises in the mold of the brand it helped create. Superhero movies evolved by approximating genre, but Hollywood reacted by attempting to turn existing IP into superhero franchises. Where once comic book movies ripped off Rambo, now Rambo is a riff on a comic book movie. The important blockbuster of the decade has to be Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

That said, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the first time where a comic book imitation clearly surpassed the present-tense genuine article. Joe and Anthony Russos’ “Cap versus rogue government baddies” actioner was the first stand-alone franchise installment that qualified as a “mythology episode,” to use an X-Files term, whereby significant, continuity-changing events could occur in a non-Avengers picture. But more importantly, the film was sold as and embraced as a superhero movie that was also a politically minded, high-tech conspiracy thriller. It was a Tom Clancy movie with a superhero at its center. It was also vastly superior to Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, which opened just months prior.

The second Captain America movie earned decent reviews and opened with $94 million, a 44% boost from The First Avenger’s $65 million launch in 2011. Thor: The Dark World jumped “only” 31% from Thor’s $65 million launch. It earned $259 million in April of 2014 and $714 million worldwide, a then-record for a non-Tony Stark MCU flick. It was for kids who liked Batman Forever and adults who liked Patriot Games. There is a cruel irony in how Paramount began the MCU and then, after Walt Disney bought Marvel, the MCU, using Paramount’s playbook, supplanted the stereotypical Paramount star-driven action thriller as the event movie of choice.

With Chris Evans’ Steve Rogers engaging in “real world” action in a plot blending The Parallax View, Clear & Present Danger and G.I. Joe, all Paramount releases, Captain America 2 was a comic book superhero movie that was appropriate for kids and “adult” enough for grownups. It ensnared superhero fans, Bourne fans and date night crowds as a “one size fits all” event. Marvel films were now not just approximating genre films and but surpassing them in quality and financial success. Three years later, Captain America: Civil War would clobber a deluge of actual adult movies (Money Monster, Neighbors 2 and The Nice Guys) in early summer 2016.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier and, months later, Guardians of the Galaxy (a bawdier riff on Paramount’s Star Trek reboot), made Marvel into Marvel. What we would begin to see is a moviegoing populace getting their cinematic diet through comic book flicks, be it comedy (Deadpool), westerns (Logan), sci-fi fantasy (Captain Marvel), swashbuckling space operas (Thor: Ragnarok), mythical adventures (Aquaman and Wonder Woman) or even star-driven, real-world action thrillers for grownups (the Captain America sequels). Studios further erred when they responded to The Avengers by trying to create their own cinematic universes. Too many of them (like Universal’s Dark Universe) put the cart before the horse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier showed that a genre specific comic book superhero flick could be better than the genuine article, even one aimed at adults and that audiences preferred the genre film when it was encased in a popular superhero brand. Hollywood reacted to The Avengers by trying to mimic The Avengers. Meanwhile, Marvel (and superhero filmmakers in general) instead mimicked the genre-specific fare popularized by its competition. Hollywood spent five years chasing a single global hit and let Marvel and (eventually) Warner Bros.’ DC Films approximate their entire potential tentpole slate (Thor Ragnarok > He-Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier > G.I. Joe, etc.) into irrelevancy.

37 minutes ago, Grails said:

This may still be my favorite Marvel film to date. 

It is the most perfect MCU film to date.

• Casting
  • Conspiracy and espionage story
  • Practical performances mixed in with relevant CGI action
  • Soundtrack that enhanced every scene

This is THAT film they should try and replicate.