• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

444 posts in this topic

I remember one day in the early '80s(?) ending up at Gary Carter's house when he pulled out a couple of stacks of comics.

IIRC they were the mile high runs of pre-hero Adventure and More Fun. It was, among many things, a Fless fest to be sure...

And one of my CBM highlights was getting caricatured by Creig. I was in the midst of a collecting GA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat

wwcf.JPG

This has always been one of my favorites, the line work, colors, composition - it has it all.

det16842a_zpsab29b651.jpg

That is one big hairy hand. Great book.

Not one you want around your throat.

Waldo, gone bad.

That is why I like this recreation so much.....

The eyes in the recreation add so much, wish they looked that way in the cover.

Whats the back story on the recreation?

This has always been one of my favorites, the line work, colors, composition - it has it all.

That is one big hairy hand. Great book.

Not one you want around your throat.

Waldo, gone bad.

That is why I like this recreation so much.....

The eyes in the recreation add so much, wish they looked that way in the cover.

Whats the back story on the recreation?

either I used to own the one JB has, or Flessel did more than one?

commissions.jpg

That's one of Flessel's greatest.

I'm not sure that people today understand that the bad guy on the cover is an escaped convict. Only convicts wore striped shirts like that. That's something that would have been immediately known to a reader in 1938, but it's been a few generations now since convicts wore stripes. Without that context, you might think the bad guy is wearing a Ralph Lauren Polo sweater!

The bad guy has a skull and crossbones attached to his bracelet, a marvelous detail I hadn't noticed before.

Given the amount of time that must have gone into that cover, you would have to say that Flessel was giving more than DC likely paid him.

No disrespect to whoever drew the recreation, but I prefer the original. The bad guy's eyes are looking in the correct direction and I like that they are in shadow.

Given the amount of time that must have gone into that cover, you would have to say that Flessel was giving more than DC likely paid him.

His attention to detail was unique for that time frame. A more light hearted example, also from 1938, is his cover to MF 35, in which he inserted not only 7 different woodland creatures (not including the worms in the bait can), but also separately drew every tree leaf and individual blade of grass. I previously posted this a few years ago.

150045.jpg.8d952e526d3e3f6e3c1e1bd0b40461b4.jpg

No disrespect to whoever drew the recreation, but I prefer the original. The bad guy's eyes are looking in the correct direction and I like that they are in shadow.

Flessel did both, but I, too, prefer the original.

Flessel did both, but I, too, prefer the original.

Ah, I missed that. In that case, it appears as if Flessel, on reflection, felt he hadn't originally done a good job with the baddie's eyes. But what does he know? :D