• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

For those that have played Destiny on the PS4...is this the game that screams buy a PS4 or not? Still waiting for a game to make me buy one of these things.

The only game for PS4 that screams buy a PS4 is the Last of Us if you have never played the game yet on the PS3 or don't have a PS3. But then again, I don't think any game that has released so far screams to buy a next gen system. But if you're talking about a game that will soon scream to buy a next gen system, I feel like Far Cry 4 will be that game.

It's a stealth based game, which intrigues me. I have heard really good things, so I will pick it up for sure.

I've heard it's a letdown, IGN roasted it.

http://www.ign.com/games/alien-isolation/ps4-20010964

The Evil Within is the game I'm waiting for....

TGS 2014: Will Survival Horror Mount A Comeback With The Evil Within?

Focusing on what matters.

By Colin MoriartyI’ll never, ever forget the first time I played Resident Evil on PlayStation. I was in the seventh grade, and the game had just launched on PlayStation. A friend of mine begged his mother to take us to the local video store to grab it, at which point we rented it, put the disc in our console, and proceeded to a play a game that, up to that point, was wholly unique, if not unprecedented. I was all about JRPGs and side-scrollers at this point in my life, and I had never seen or played anything like Resident Evil, mostly because nothing quite like Resident Evil even existed then.

Sure, in hindsight, Resident Evil suffered from its share of problems – like that horrific voice acting, for instance – but it also created a tangible atmosphere of fear and foreboding. Quiet moments of seemingly innocuous exploration suddenly exploded into terror as a gruesome canine smashed through a window. Bullets needed to be accounted for, because there just wasn’t that many of them. Hell, Ink Ribbons – which I consider to be, to this day, an awesome design concept – forced us to even think about how often we’d save our game, and when. The team behind Resident Evil tried to pay attention to everything that really mattered when it came to horror, and they largely succeeded.

TGS 2014 Gameplay Trailer

01:39

Resident Evil might not have been the first survival horror game per se (that distinction likely should go to Sweet Home on the Famicom), but it was the first one of real consequence, and its effects resonate through to today, nearly two decades later. Sure, its sequels – Resident Evil 4 in particular – completely nailed what it was to be survival horror, but future iterations, like Resident Evil 5, lost the plot completely, abandoning the spirit of what once made the franchise the face of the genre. To me, Dead Space is the last truly great survival horror game I played that just got it, and I’ve come to accept that I’m probably not going to get what I’m looking for with Resident Evil moving forward (I didn’t even bother with RE6). This is perhaps why I was left so full of anticipation after briefly going hands-on with The Evil Within at TGS, known by the much cooler title Psycho Break in Japan.

From the brief time I went hands-on with The Evil Within, I felt like it had everything I was looking for: atmosphere, frights, non-linear exploration, terrifying enemies, and an eerie setting.

Considering the intimate involvement of Shinji Mikami, the mastermind behind the original Resident Evil right through his seminal work, RE4, it should come as no surprise that The Evil Within seems to remain true-to-form when it comes to things that made Capcom’s once-proud franchise so great. From the brief time I went hands-on with The Evil Within, I felt like it had everything I was looking for: atmosphere, frights, non-linear exploration, terrifying enemies, and an eerie setting. Will all of these facets combine to make a great game in the end? I have no idea. All I know is that it seems that the ingredients are all present.

The Evil Within revolves around a detective named Sebastian Castellanos, a man on the case of a brutal string of murders. Naturally, supernatural elements are quickly introduced into the plot to give The Evil Within its survival horror twist. The portion of the game I played through had me walking down an isolated, wooded path. I eventually ran into an iron gate that, once opened, gave me access to a large stone mansion. If you played Outlast, you’ll find some minor similarities between that game’s opening and this specific slice of The Evil Within’s adventure.

The Evil Within Extended Gameplay Demo

05:45

The courtyard area in front of the mansion was outright creepy, and appropriately set the mood for the increased frights I would experience when I walked inside. And walk inside I did, finding myself with options as I began to explore. The game would occasionally go to black-and-white as I walked around, showing me spectral beings and scenes that weren’t set in reality.

The unfortunate thing is that while the enemies were scary to run away from, they didn’t seem to be very smart when they actually caught up with me.

Pushing through various doors and into the mansion’s rooms give The Evil Within a sense of space, and creates a need to explore it. It wasn’t long before I found myself in a dusty old library, at which point I was assailed by a couple of zombies. These zombies appeared to be well-designed, with all manner of objects sticking out of their heads and backs. Running away from them (I didn’t want to fight them if I could help it) brought me back to those days playing Resident Evil and its sequels, where fighting wasn’t only to be avoided when possible; it felt necessary and even pertinent not to get caught up in a battle.

The unfortunate thing is that while the enemies were scary to run away from, they didn’t seem to be very smart when they actually caught up with me. I’m not sure if it’s because I was playing on an easier difficulty level, but I stood next to a zombie foe for over five seconds, and he didn't even try to attack me. Truth be told, it took me out of the experience a little bit. Likewise, the random placement of bombs as I explored, complete with blinking lights, seemed a bit corny and unnecessary. They’d explode and do decent damage, as you’d expect, but they seemed completely out of place.

Then again, The Evil Within’s emphasis on scavenging your surroundings and collecting what you can find seemed right at home when you consider the experience Mikami is so clearly going for. I’d find a curative syringe here, some precious bullets there, and even a couple of wine bottles to grab and toss. I also found some items that seemed to be used in conjunction with some sort of upgrading, customizing, or leveling system, though I’m not clear on just what those items are or how they work (the person in charge of the demo station didn’t speak English, and regrettably, I don’t speak Japanese).

The Evil Within - Voices of Evil

03:36

My favorite part of this wasn’t the gunplay, which felt solid despite some inconsistencies, but the fact that to keep the enemies down forever, I’d have to nonchalantly light a match and burn them to a crisp.

I continued to explore as much of the mansion as I could, finding random items that I would likely need to solve a puzzle in the future, such as the spinning dial of a safe. I even crawled through a fireplace and into a secret passage, one that led to some sort of what appeared to be a crafting table (again, I couldn’t read the in-game text, which was in Japanese). I even ran into a deadly trap that attempted to suck me towards rotating metal cylinders that quite nearly crushed me. A quick shot of my gun to its engine barely stopped it in time.

When I did decide to stop exploring and start fighting, however, I used those few bullets I found to take out some of the undead. Interestingly, headshots didn’t seem to matter as much as I thought they would; some zombies seemed to take more damage than others, and one I seemed to have killed with a single shot to its back. Nonetheless, my favorite part of this wasn’t the gunplay, which felt solid despite some inconsistencies, but the fact that to keep the enemies down forever, I’d have to nonchalantly light a match and burn them to a crisp. Nice touch.

The short time I spent with The Evil Within (why can’t it be called Psycho Break in the west, too?!) left me with the impression that the game has many of the ingredients to create a great survival horror experience, and I’m really hoping it all comes together in the end. I want to relive the days of great survival horror experiences, not watered-down ones with co-op gameplay and seemingly unlimited amounts of ammunition, and hopefully The Evil Within delivers. We’ll find out on October 14th, when the game launches in most western territories. IGN Logo