• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

Or forgotten about. I have seen two new small local shops open up in the last 6 months and it's dealers who left in the late 90's who are back because comics are hot now. Trust me that stock is still out there in great shape.

Some of that stock is and some isn't. I've seen boxes in worse shape filled with 90's comic books not bagged n boarded at shops. These boxes are so yellow and torn and stacked on top of each other with broken lids. No way all these are still in NM/NM+ condition. 2c

I guess what I meant from the two local examples I have run across is that some of the Dealers who ordered all that product in the 90's are still out there with their books and the two I have seen took care of them. For example one talked about how he was going to control the Spider-man # 1 Gold UPC variant market because he had 50+ of them and had a dozen at CGC being graded at the moment. Just saying........

Or forgotten about. I have seen two new small local shops open up in the last 6 months and it's dealers who left in the late 90's who are back because comics are hot now. Trust me that stock is still out there in great shape.

Some of that stock is and some isn't. I've seen boxes in worse shape filled with 90's comic books not bagged n boarded at shops. These boxes are so yellow and torn and stacked on top of each other with broken lids. No way all these are still in NM/NM+ condition. 2c

I've seen plenty of books not kept in ideal conditions still maintain NM/MT condition

I've found unbagged/unboarded copies of some copper keys that have been graded 9.8 after a nice squish

I've heard of a similar story here of two dealers that are thinking of opening up a shop...the thing is, there's already a ton of LCS in the area. Granted they specialize in different areas, however, I still don't know how they all stay in business.

I have no idea how some of these books (MOS 17 especially) go for the prices that they do - I have no idea who is buying them but clearly someone is.

What happens, I think, is:

1) They print millions.

2) After the initial hype, they become worthless.

3) People don't take care of them since they're worthless (ex. longboxes full of them, jostled around, getting bent, no boards, thrown out or given away, etc.)

4) The number of high grade copies decreases until those become more scarce.

5) When the demand for the issue starts rising, people realise that it's worth something.

6) The 3 milion high grade copies that once existed is down to 800,000 high grade copies.

Although the remaining good copies of the comic still exist in huge numbers, a lot of the extreme excess that speculators bought (ex. 100+ copies per person) has effectively been ruined.

Great analysis. And..I think that all combines with 'pump and dump' sales to create panic buyers.

I have no idea how some of these books (MOS 17 especially) go for the prices that they do - I have no idea who is buying them but clearly someone is.

1) They print millions.

3) People don't take care of them since they're worthless (ex. longboxes full of them, jostled around, getting bent, no boards, thrown out or given away, etc.)

5) When the demand for the issue starts rising, people realise that it's worth something.

6) The 3 milion high grade copies that once existed is down to 800,000 high grade copies.

Although the remaining good copies of the comic still exist in huge numbers, a lot of the extreme excess that speculators bought (ex. 100+ copies per person) has effectively been ruined.

this

1) They print millions.

Great analysis. And..I think that all combines with 'pump and dump' sales to create panic buyers.

Print run was not that high really for these books. I can't find it in the Copper thread right now, but I was surprised how low it was compared to the Death of Superman.

http://comicbookspeculation.blogspot.com/2013/10/undervaluedsuperman-man-of-steel.html

Variant covers are so overdone.

#overit.

I agree for the most part. I'm pretty selective with the ones I get since there are so many. It's both a blessing (due to the great artwork) and a curse (due to the amount made -- especially with Marvel's current method of pimping out #1s with a minimum of 4 variants). Some are the price of a classic key, which is ridiculous. But that just my 2c

I am still blown away by the prices Greg Horn was getting for his slabbed Gamestop variants with his and Lee's sig and a quick sketch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-9-8-GAME-STOP-SIGNED-SKETCHED-BY-GREG-HORN-STAN-LEE-NR-/321443785853?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ad78aec7d&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-of-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-REMARKED-edition-GAMESTOP-variant-by-GREG-HORN-/361033466606?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item540f4582ee&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

just wow...

Insane

5k can go towards an amazing fantasy 15 :makepoint:

Whoa :o

That's redonk.

Greg Horn is having a monster year with these GameStop quickie sketch slabs. People are paying stupid money for these. I can understand a few hundred bucks but $6K?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-of-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-REMARKED-GAMESTOP-SKETCH-FADE-variant-by-GREG-HORN-/361047770795?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&nma=true&si=7ZQhT0RpD3IDSzUAyCPrayEDEkE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's like the price went from $2-3 to $20-30 because of the movie announcement I presume. :o

Time to dig out all those copies I've bought the last couple of years. :)

I've found more than a few #2's recently for cheap but did not buy a bunch. I have a few though. #11 seems to have been dry in my parts for awhile now. I just never see them in store boxes, or if I do, the store is asking too much for a beater. It is like some stores were trying to cash in on a book that wasn't ready to be cashed in on yet.

I've been buying these up for 50 cents, I think it's time to dump

Second appearances. hm