• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics or Alibaba?
1 1

84 posts in this topic

What little that was left of capitalism died in 2008.

Creating Debt/aka printing money out of thin air has tided the world over in the mean time as a suitable illusion.

My personal preference would always be for a physical asset (which collectibles/luxury items would fall under) over any thing in the "markets". But if you are going to be in the markets, just make sure its a liquid position... you never know when the next Black Swan is going to land, and we've got a whole flock in our future.

So, 110 shares of Alibaba would be about a $10,000 investment. That is, if you pulled the trigger right now.

On the other hand, there's a 3.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 on Metropolis at $10,000 (that seems high since one sold on Comiclink last month for $9100, but still, it's there for the taking right now).

All it takes to buy either is a mouse click - but which would be smarter? Short term, I have to think the Alibaba would be a better investment. Long-term, who knows? hm

edit: And yes, any single comic costing $10,000 would serve the same purpose for this discussion. I just chose AF 15 since most think of it as a "blue chip" comic investment.

Edited by Arkadin

This is the resume of the founder of Alibaba: The former English teacher now has a net worth estimated at $21.9 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. His story is a rags-to-riches tale. He failed national college entrance exams, twice, and failed to land jobs at KFC, a hotel and the city police office. When a friend showed him the Internet, ideas started brewing and his business began.

No offense to Jack Ma, because he's now a very rich man, but I'll take the AF15 over the Chinese company.

The answer is likely very dependent on your time horizon and how long you are willing to hold each.

Compare the share price of Alibaba to an AF 15 next Friday and then 6 months from now and then a year from now. Pretty sure that Alibaba will have much more significant movement, whether it be up or down.

I got 1,000 shares of Yahoo instead. IPO at $92 is way inflated.

But I'd still take 100 shares of BABA over a low grade AF15...higher potential for a higher return.

***Clarify...Yahoo priced back during their dip a few months ago. Now even Yahoo is inflated at current price.

It IPO'd at $68 :gossip: