• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

I feel like the red headed step child on these boards, but I disagree with increasing the point value on modern ashcans. Yes, it's a rare book, but so are other modern books out there. i.e. Peter Panzerfaust #2. Due to a print issue, high grades are seemingly more rare than #1. Based on Comic Book sales figures, PP1 sold 4,814, and PP2 sold 4,416. Plus the print issue on #2. Does that make it more common than an ashcan, yes!!! Then why are the point values the same for PP1, and PP2? We're not talking about ASM#1.

Unless they decide to gauge points based on book rarity, then I don't think the point values should be adjusted.

I love the fact that Za's registry is kicking butt, but unless someone else can convince me that a modern ashcan should receive more points than any other RARE modern book, I'll stick to my opinion.

Hate away!

Edited by ZoBot

I feel like the red headed step child on these boards, but I disagree with increasing the point value on modern ashcans. Yes, it's a rare book, but so are other modern books out there. i.e. Peter Panzerfaust #2. Due to a print issue, high grades are seemingly more rare than #1. Based on Comic Book sales figures, PP1 sold 4,814, and PP2 sold 4,416. Plus the print issue on #2. Does that make it more common than an ashcan, yes!!! Then why are the point values the same for PP1, and PP2? We're not talking about ASM#1.

Unless they decide to gauge points based on book rarity, then I don't think the point values should be adjusted.

I love the fact that Za's registry is kicking butt, but unless someone else can convince me that a modern ashcan should receive more points than any other RARE modern book, I'll stick to my opinion.

Hate away!

Rarity is supposed to factor on points for a registry. Now you can argue that I am pro in this camp because I own one of the rarest of them all. But I can also argue that you have taken your stance because you do not own an ashcan. Not hating, just facts.

I have talked to Frank personally through emails about how many ashcans may exist and it is very few(probably less than 12 in total). Frank had these printed himself while pitching publishers at cons. These are books that were given to publishers and many of them were thrown away or heaven knows where. My ashcan was Franks personal sole copy from his first self printing of the book and he wasn't planning on selling but needed the funds for a move, so I am quite honored to own it.

Do you honestly believe that a common copy of say #12 should have the same point value as an Ashcan that has only 2 examples known in existence?

Hate away!

Rarity is supposed to factor on points for a registry. Now you can argue that I am pro in this camp because I own one of the rarest of them all. But I can also argue that you have taken your stance because you do not own an ashcan. Not hating, just facts.

I have talked to Frank personally through emails about how many ashcans may exist and it is very few(probably less than 12 in total). Frank had these printed himself while pitching publishers at cons. These are books that were given to publishers and many of them were thrown away or heaven knows where. My ashcan was Franks personal sole copy from his first self printing of the book and he wasn't planning on selling but needed the funds for a move, so I am quite honored to own it.

Do you honestly believe that a common copy of say #12 should have the same point value as an Ashcan that has only 2 examples known in existence?

I wasn't personally attacking you. And you are correct, I'll never own an ashcan. And that doesn't bother me.

A common copy of 12 should not have an equal value as any rare book. Especially an ashcan. The challenge is defining rare. Ashcan = Rare!

Would you consider either SDCC sets rare? Only printed 50? What about other Comic Con sets that are limited print? Rare or not Rare?

Edited by ZoBot

How would you rate say a 9.9 #1 sdcc against the ashcans point wise? And why?

The 9.9 of a #1 SDCC would be based mathematically off of a 9.8 of the same book.

There really is no precedence for these Ashcans, but there are "quite a few" of the SDCC #1's in 9.8.

Hate away!

I wasn't personally attacking you. And you are correct, I'll never own an ashcan. And that doesn't bother me.

A common copy of 12 should not have an equal value as any rare book. Especially an ashcan. The challenge is defining rare. Ashcan = Rare!

Would you consider either SDCC sets rare? Only printed 50? What about other Comic Con sets that are limited print? Rare or not Rare?

There's true scarcity and manufactured scarcity.

The SDCC books were made to be collectible. There's nothing at all wrong with that, but it means that all the copies are in the hands of collectors who paid way more than standard cover price for them, protect them, slab them and resell them with relative frequency.

The ashcan isn't even an image book. It's a pre-Image self-published book. It's one of those books that creators throw at you when you walk down artist alley. You might look at it for a minute, but chances are you're going to leave it on an empty table or chuck it as soon as you're out of the creator's line of sight lol These books are scattered to the wind. That's why there are only, what, 5 copies on the board?

Put out a huge WTB offer on the boards for the SDCC sets today and you'll get multiple offers. Put out a huge WTB offer for the ashcan and I bet you hear crickets.

I do believe the SDCC editions are rare and deserve to also have a higher point value than a normal printing of the same issues. That being said, there were 50 of each of those made on a heavy duty stock and were made for the sole intent of the Five Ghosts collector(like many of us here). Greater care was taken when they were produced and shipped. Conversely the ashcan production was done by an entirely different process(not to mention the paper stock it was printed on), and was not perceived to be a valuable collectible edition in the way the SDCC editions were.

And that being said... I can't believe I missed a listing for an Ashcan on Ebay that sold for buy it now at $100... sigh... anybody here snag it? Was on Aug 24th

I literally had heartburn about it for 3 days when I saw that I missed it. Not kidding, if someone even looked at me funny I was ready to rip their face off.

I could have sworn there were actually 2 of them that sold for around that price but looking back now I cant seem to find the 2nd listing so maybe I was dreaming.

And that being said... I can't believe I missed a listing for an Ashcan on Ebay that sold for buy it now at $100... sigh... anybody here snag it? Was on Aug 24th

I literally had heartburn about it for 3 days when I saw that I missed it. Not kidding, if someone even looked at me funny I was ready to rip their face off.

I could have sworn there were actually 2 of them that sold for around that price but looking back now I cant seem to find the 2nd listing so maybe I was dreaming.

There was another that a buddy of Frank was selling, probably about 2 months after I bought Franks and I think it sold for around $400 but I really can't remember, this was early this year or last.. I am always watching.