• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOW from Image Comics by Remender, Tocchini, et al

149 posts in this topic

I quite enjoy the art, but to each their own.

Yes, Tocchini is co-creator.

For sure. I am not saying it is bad art, I just don't like squinting at every panel.

I enjoy the writing enough to keep reading so maybe it will grow on me.

The art has grown on me, and the writing has been great! :) (thumbs u

I quite enjoy the art, but to each their own.

Yes, Tocchini is co-creator.

For sure. I am not saying it is bad art, I just don't like squinting at every panel.

I enjoy the writing enough to keep reading so maybe it will grow on me.

The art has grown on me, and the writing has been great! :) (thumbs u

I am mixed on the art on this book. I still mostly like it but a few of the panels seem a little lazy. I think the artist is going for a certain grungy look and the choice of colors mixed with this art gives me a suffocating feeling as I read the book. It is a very effective and believable place which I initially thought would be tough to pull off. So all in all, the art does what I believe it is supposed to do which is make us uncomfortable and a little claustrophobic. The story itself works for me. The primary character seems to be in anguish and who wouldn't be in her shoes. This is yet another book with a strong female lead From Image. I believe #3 comes out next week. (thumbs u

I'm way behind on my reading, and just got through #1 a few nights ago. I didn't care for the art, but I was willing to go along with it for a while. The thing that did get stuck in my head and completely broke me out of the story was when the pirate called the family "Salusians." It's like that moment where you see something that you can't unsee and it totally breaks the moment.

Hey, Rick Remender, when you think you're making up a word, maybe Google it. Maybe you'll find that you're reusing a term that has already been used in comics for more than 25 years.

Salusians

Maybe Ninja High School doesn't sell as many copies as Remender usually does, but the series has been around for 176 issues of the regular series and a whole pile of spinoffs and specials.

Just got around to reading #1, and do not think I'll be in for the long haul. I am a HUGE Remender fan, and the plot setup for this book did not disappoint. However I will echo the feelings of others in saying the art greatly detracts from the story. In a book about a fantastic world, I am unable to enjoy the sceneary as I can't make it out! The action scenes are so muddled that the a ton itself is lost. I get the artists style, and I enjoy the pinups, but the style does not lend itself to sequential storytelling, especially when illustrating imaginary objects.

It really is a shame because I am very interested in the story and Remender trying a new lead archetype. But my eyes literally felt strained after that read.

I would give it another try. I think it gets better with each issue. Issue number #3 had more references to the decadence and hopelessness of the fall of Rome. I think its a fantastic story and while the art was still muddy from time to time in issue #2, it is very clear in #3.

#4 was ok for me. The art was getting confusing again.

When they finally found a place to get fresh air - i flip to the next page and it seems like an entirely different setting although it wasn't. maybe it's just me?

When they finally found a place to get fresh air - i flip to the next page and it seems like an entirely different setting although it wasn't. maybe it's just me?

+1 I love the art style on this book, but it didn't work in this issue. I was also totally lost during that transition. Also, it was really hard to tell the mother and son apart for most of the beginning of the issue. I like taking my time and enjoying the art, but I shouldn't have to strain my eyes just to follow the story. Still really enjoying the arc overall though.

Edited by jaybes

+1 I love the art style on this book, but it didn't work in this issue. I was also totally lost during that transition. Also, it was really hard to tell the mother and son apart for most of the beginning of the issue. I like taking my time and enjoying the art, but I should have to strain my eyes just to follow the story. Still really enjoying the arc overall though.

I've read the same thing in other reviews of the book. Starts rough and gets good in the end. I'm checking it out when I get off work tonight.