• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Not terribly much other than comics. Have about a 1000 or so to get through. ;)

About to finish up "Mail-order Mysteries: Real Stuff From Old Comic Book Ads!" by Kirk Demarais

"Spider-Man and Philosophy: The Web of Inquiry" by Jonathan J Sanford

"Excelsior! The Amazing Life of Stan Lee" by Stan Lee

"The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Comics" by JC Vaughn

So mostly light reading to give myself a nice break from TPBs and back issues.

Not terribly much other than comics. Have about a 1000 or so to get through. ;)

About to finish up "Mail-order Mysteries: Real Stuff From Old Comic Book Ads!" by Kirk Demarais

"Spider-Man and Philosophy: The Web of Inquiry" by Jonathan J Sanford

"Excelsior! The Amazing Life of Stan Lee" by Stan Lee

"The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Comics" by JC Vaughn

So mostly light reading to give myself a nice break from TPBs and back issues.

My buddy Eddie Guevarra was the inspiration for mail order mysteries-he has the only known existing Polaris Nuclear Sub and almost every Johnson Smith item

Where does he get the plutonium for the sub?

From....these guys:

I just finished The Hobbit and am starting on The Fellowship of the Ring.

Last time I read those it was 1969.

Have you done The Silmarillion or The Children of Húrin?

Finally finished reading Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona, Real Madrid, and the World’s Greatest Sports Rivalry by Sid Lowe. Basically everything you could ever want to know about the historic rivalry between two of the world's biggest football clubs from their respective inceptions, through the Spanish Civil War and Francoism, to the modern day - it really is a fascinating story.

..... I had no idea it went that far back. As for me..... I'm stuck on a James Rollins kick right now..... finished "The Last Oracle" and am halfway through "The Doomsday Key" ....... I really like them..... they're different and rather clever . GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I cracked open an old book I read once already because I'm pretty much caught up with my favorite authors in the crime thriller genre.

It's an anthology called "Thriller" and edited by James Patterson. Features both established and up and coming (At the time, in 2006) thriller authors. It's lacking my two favorites (Erica Spindler and Tami Hoag) but featured several I wanted to check out, but couldn't remember because I didn't take notes the first time I read it. So this time I'm writing down the authors I like. I have to say I now remember what I like about the thriller genre and will probably take a break from comics next year to read a couple series. This year I'm reading comics though, gonna break 1000 :D

For anyone who liked watching House and the Sopranos and wished there was some way to combine both ideas into one I recommend ' Beat the Reaper ' by Josh Bazell.

I'm about halfway through it now and while it isn't the best written novel i've read this year it is very well paced and has an excellent collection of characters keeping everything exciting. Also try reading the ebook as it has many notations which you can click for random medical/mafia info (and then easily jump back to your last place)

Moby . I never finished it when I was in High School so just decided to try again.

Now I remember why I didn't finish it. It is a brutally difficult book to read.

Once again, the excellent filters protecting the children from these horrible words :D

Now back to reading about the Adventures of Moby's Spoon.

Just finished reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (the film adaptation starring Ben Affleck comes out on Oct. 3). If you haven't heard of it, it's about a NYC couple who moves to the Midwest and then the wife goes missing on their fifth wedding anniversary and nothing is like it seems. Do yourself a favor and read the book - there's no way the film can possibly capture all the mental twists and turns as well as the book does. It's a quick read - took me 2-3 days to finish and I couldn't put it down; I highly recommend it. 2c

Just finished reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (the film adaptation starring Ben Affleck comes out on Oct. 3). If you haven't heard of it, it's about a NYC couple who moves to the Midwest and then the wife goes missing on their fifth wedding anniversary and nothing is like it seems. Do yourself a favor and read the book - there's no way the film can possibly capture all the mental twists and turns as well as the book does. It's a quick read - took me 2-3 days to finish and I couldn't put it down; I highly recommend it. 2c

I will check it out! (thumbs u

Just finished reading the Hard Case Crime novel Seduction of the Innocent by Max Allan Collins. It's a whodunit murder mystery set against a fictionalized backdrop of the 1950s anti-comics movement/hearings. A fun, quick read; think a lot of people here would enjoy it. 2c