• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turok Son of Stone Collecting Thread !!
2 2

374 posts in this topic

Turok's latest incarnation c/o Dynamite

imagejpg1_zpsef7a0354.jpg

…keeping in mind that this is a silver age forum... ;) I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin' :whistle:

I know, but then again it's a Turok thread and its sort of a Gold Key homage cover so I'd argue 'grey area' for this particular book lol

All right, I'll let it go this one time... lol

Turok's latest incarnation c/o Dynamite

imagejpg1_zpsef7a0354.jpg

…keeping in mind that this is a silver age forum... ;) I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin' :whistle:

I know, but then again it's a Turok thread and its sort of a Gold Key homage cover so I'd argue 'grey area' for this particular book lol

All right, I'll let it go this one time... lol

- just when I was going to post a Valiant Gold SS hahaha

IMG_3646_zpsea6e08ab.jpg

Nice copy - one that I don't often see in high grade such as this.

BTW, both this CGC label AND Overstreet are wrong about this book. There is no paper cover version.

Edited by pemart1966

I've been trying to find a NM copy for years now - a toughy for sure!!

Really both of them are wrong - just that grainy/textured cover they call slick?

Wonder why they got the notion both existed b

I have to assume that CGC is only reading what's in Overstreet and taking it as gospel.

A good friend of mine (and avid Turok collector) told me that eons ago, he had told Overstreet that there was a paper cover version of this giant. The only problem was that he had never seen one. He had assumed that there was a paper cover version because he had seen other giants with paper covers. He has since agreed that the paper cover version doesn't exist.

Now all that being said, someone please post a paper cover version of the Giant and prove me wrong lol

Edited by pemart1966

icculus308win wrote: "I've been trying to find a NM copy for years now - a toughy for sure!!"

Looks as if there's only one 9.8 and three at 9.6. You might have trouble upgrading…but you never know.

Edited by pemart1966

icculus308win wrote: "I've been trying to find a NM copy for years now - a toughy for sure!!"

Looks as if there's only one 9.8 and three at 9.6. You might have trouble upgrading…but you never know.

Took me this long to find one to sub as worthy 9.4.....I will be more than content with this one for an even longer time :cloud9:

lol

Well that sounds like Overstreet could have just done that and as we know there are indeed Giants with paper covers.

I am pretty sure I have seen this book with the paper cover.

Post a pic…I'd LOVE to be proven (or is it proved?) wrong lol

I had searched for over 40 years for the paper cover version before being told the above story in person and it's a story I have no reason to doubt.

I've attended all of the major conventions and have spoken to dealers and some of the MAJOR Turok collectors. The collectors tell me that it doesn't exist - the dealers tell me that they've never seen it.

That doesn't say definitively that it doesn't exist but I'd say that the odds are very, very good that it doesn't.

Edited by pemart1966

Took me this long to find one to sub as worthy 9.4.....I will be more than content with this one for an even longer time :cloud9:

You'll be hard pressed to upgrade - you have a super nice copy with great PQ.

lol

Well that sounds like Overstreet could have just done that and as we know there are indeed Giants with paper covers.

I had searched for over 40 years for the paper cover version before being told the above story in person and it's a story I have no reason to doubt.

I've attended all of the major conventions and have spoken to dealers and some of the MAJOR Turok collectors. The collectors tell me that it doesn't exist - the dealers tell me that they've never seen it.

That doesn't say definitively that it doesn't exist but I'd say that the odds are very, very good that it doesn't.

I don't have a picture, but I remember the book distinctly. I think I even bought it. It had a mailing label attached.

I have been doing basically every major convention for the past 19 years and I buy a lot of books and I see a lot of books. I would say I shop the floor more than 90% of other dealers.

Edited by Dale Roberts

lol

I don't have a picture, but I remember the book distinctly. I think I even bought it. It had a mailing label attached.

I have been doing basically every major convention for the past 19 years and I buy a lot of books and I see a lot of books. I would say I shop the floor more than 90% of other dealers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting you but with nary a pic of this book in over 40 years of collecting, I gotta see it to believe it.

Peter (Ottawa, Ontario by way of Missouri) lol

DSC02806_zps248d3b97.jpg

Here's a rare Turok. It's a french comic but it's not the more common European french comic - it's a Canadian french comic.

Notice the Gold Key logo as compared with European french comics that are produced by other publishers. Also notice the higher price than the regular North American version. Both of these make this a true variant in my opinion.

Interiors are in black and white. Inside covers are blank.

There can't have been too many of these printed as I imagine that distribution was limited to certain parts of the province of Quebec and MAYBE parts of New Brunswick.

I know of issues 78, 79, 82, 83 and 84. Does anyone have any others?