• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,067 posts in this topic

And another... :cloud9:

117b5453-8198-4cac-836b-02dca516beb6_zps9c8c7cd7.jpg

More to come! (thumbs u

I've always wanted that book,the cover and the Lovecraft make it double wonderful. Very nice!!!

Nice book, Cat. I need a copy of that one myself.

Here's another one, Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.

Astounding%2520Stories%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25206%2520Feb%25201936.jpg

Not the place for it, but hard to get you pulp guys attention otherwise. Anyone know a good non-online source for Stanton and Lee hardcovers? It's a rare arkham house poetry imprint. Thought someone might have a lead considering AH is like material.

Oliver and the wayward owl 1945

bright journey 1953

wind over Wisconsin 1957

restless in the river 1965

night letters 1971

I've checked all the online sources and either they aren't present or aren't in good enough condition. I need my copies to be virtually perfect and all first editions from the Stanton and lee publishing house with dj.

Any help would be financially appreciated in tracking what I need down.

Thanks. - M

And another... :cloud9:

117b5453-8198-4cac-836b-02dca516beb6_zps9c8c7cd7.jpg

More to come! (thumbs u

I've always wanted that book,the cover and the Lovecraft make it double wonderful. Very nice!!!

Nice book, Cat. I need a copy of that one myself.

Here's another one, Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.

Astounding%2520Stories%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25206%2520Feb%25201936.jpg

Thanks! :hi:

That's another Astounding I'd eventually like to snag. (thumbs u

Here's my next bunch...

45f06052-f8e1-4541-93ef-0412d277ad36_zps1c0ec684.jpg

e9c0348d-6395-4b6c-acca-3667f2aa1bf4_zpsa9f6b818.jpg

c68e8a68-e7b2-48ed-8f76-d5de4d0c5ba9_zpsb613cc6b.jpg

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (couldn't find it in the last few pages), but there's a nice copy of The All-Story, Volume XXIV, Number 2, October 1912 in the current Heritage Rare Books auction.

http://historical.ha.com/itm/books/edgar-rice-burroughs-tarzan-of-the-apes-in-the-all-story-volume-xxiv-number-2-october-1912-new-york-an/a/6112-45310.s

Mike

horrorstories2-38.jpg

..and the Bookery description reads "classic cover mad scientist about to decapitate GG and replace her head with that of a gorilla's"

Grizzly for sure.

I'm not sure that this Amazing can be considered an appropriate follow-up to that classic decapitation cover, but for some reason or other it seems a palpable pulpable segue... ;)

img_AmazingStor40s2_179.jpg

...It also gives me an excuse for slipping in several more Campbell era Astoundings! lol

4ef66aa1-9ef6-4ec8-9cb3-f1fbb0c1b479_zpsf296e1dc.jpg

And while it's nowhere near as clear a starting point as Action 1 is for comics, there's the book that seems to be mostly commonly agreed upon as the start of the Golden Age of Science Fiction. First Van Vogt, first Asimov in Astounding, and the very next month gave us...

Astounding3908.jpg

the first Heinlein story, and what I think is the only Finlay cover on Astounding. (Finlay apparently objected to his art being cropped.)

horrorstories2-38.jpg

..and the Bookery description reads "classic cover mad scientist about to change decapitate GG and replace her head with that of a gorilla's"

this is just amazing.Such marvelous still uff all...I wish I had more to share...a...su

Not expressing any opinions on Scientology as a philosophy, faith or whatever, except that there's an interesting story I've heard that it may have been conceived during a poker game as a side bet by the author whose work is represented on this cover...

Astounding440_zps25c2daba.jpg

Of course, the origins of Scientology is open to speculation, but this version of events came from a colleague of Hubbard's, a well known SF author who claimed to have been at that poker game. Alas, the author passed away many years ago and I'm unaware of any corroborating evidence to give this story more solid foundation. That said, I have no reason to doubt it.