• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,257 posts in this topic

My whole life, I was perfectly content to not buy westerns. Then I saw damonwad's books. I blame him.

The way I figure it, one Maneely should do it. Maybe two. And a Heath would be sweet. Maybe two. Severin. Toth. Kirby. I think I have a few romance books I can sell...maybe to someone just getting into romance.

KidColt73fc100_zpse6976ed3.jpg

Who do you mean? lol

That's a nice looking Kid Colt.

There are so many great Maneely, Heath, Severin, etc... covers, I think you'll have a problem stopping at two.

..... there's a reason why people don't have just two fingers on their hands lol ...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Any of you guys with TV's ever watch Hell On Wheels ?

My contributions.

boysranch1_zps8925c3d7.jpeg

boysranch1-sm.jpg

Thought it would be cool to compare to the art.

Wow...just...wow.

I was ecstatic to get the highest graded copy....I would blow a gasket if I owned the original art.

Thanks for sharing it!

My contributions.

Thought it would be cool to compare to the art.

I like to match them up and show the double size of the art. Compulsive behavior...I guess. I think the golden age western comic art by Simon and Kirby is a special grail for collectors of the genre.

14440096040_1bf307dcb3_c.jpg14624640324_90921ec124.jpg

A couple Broncho Bill comics. The #6 is a Schomburg cover.

SingleSeries2BronchoBill-1.jpg

:applause:

Looks great. I wish more of the early Western strips were reprinted. I know why the main adventure and detective ones are getting the treatment but I wish someone would tackle the Westerns, starting with Red Ryder.

I started reading the complete Jerry Spring by Jijé in Black & White and am loving it. Giraud was a study of Jijé so the wonderfulness of Blueberry is rooted in Jerry Spring which itself was inspired by Harman's early Red Ryder (pre-assistant days). It's fantastic to see this chain of evolution in the Western genre. Jijé started producing these in 1954 so contemporaneously with the stories we cherish so much by Toth, Wildey, Kubert, etc ...

Anyway, your posting of this Broncho Bill came at a perfect time to whet my appetite for that material. Carry on pardner.

Looks great. I wish more of the early Western strips were reprinted. I know why the main adventure and detective ones are getting the treatment but I wish someone would tackle the Westerns, starting with Red Ryder.

I started reading the complete Jerry Spring by Jijé in Black & White and am loving it. Giraud was a study of Jijé so the wonderfulness of Blueberry is rooted in Jerry Spring which itself was inspired by Harman's early Red Ryder (pre-assistant days). It's fantastic to see this chain of evolution in the Western genre. Jijé started producing these in 1954 so contemporaneously with the stories we cherish so much by Toth, Wildey, Kubert, etc ...

Anyway, your posting of this Broncho Bill came at a perfect time to whet my appetite for that material. Carry on pardner.

Thanks, Scrooge. I'd like to see the early Red Ryder reprinted also.

I've never heard of Jerry Spring before but like what little I could see from internet searches (after sifting through the Jerry Springer items).

I was aware of the Giraud Blueberry books but haven't read them yet.

Are there any good English reprints of Jerry Spring or Blueberry that you would recommend? The only French I know is "ooo-la-la".

I've never heard of Jerry Spring before but like what little I could see from internet searches (after sifting through the Jerry Springer items).

Are there any good English reprints of Jerry Spring or Blueberry that you would recommend? The only French I know is "ooo-la-la".

Marvel put out reprints of a couple grand Blueberry sagas.

Here's a one volume in a slightly smaller size:

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Saga-Confederate-Gold/dp/1885418086/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406432628&sr=1-1&keywords=blueberry+giraud

I prefer the larger albums but you'll have to buy 5 of them to get the story in the link above.

Anything Blueberry by Giraud that I've read has been very enjoyable.

Both of these covers are pretty cool! :applause:

A couple Broncho Bill comics. The #6 is a Schomburg cover.

SingleSeries2BronchoBill-1.jpg

BronchoBill6_zps3152f500.jpg

Marvel put out reprints of a couple grand Blueberry sagas.

Here's a one volume in a slightly smaller size:

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Saga-Confederate-Gold/dp/1885418086/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406432628&sr=1-1&keywords=blueberry+giraud

I prefer the larger albums but you'll have to buy 5 of them to get the story in the link above.

Anything Blueberry by Giraud that I've read has been very enjoyable.

Thanks. I look forward to reading them and would prefer the larger ones.

I'll have to start hunting.