• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace Comics featuring Four Favorites, Super Mystery, and Our Flag
6 6

893 posts in this topic

What a beautiful book! And I assume you are talking about it being an old scan..we are in the Golden Age section after all. The comics are supposed to be old, and this one definitely counts.

What a beautiful book! And I assume you are talking about it being an old scan..we are in the Golden Age section after all. The comics are supposed to be old, and this one definitely counts.

He asked for "new" Ace stuff and that's a book I had previously posted. Not that I mind posting it again as it was probably a year or more back. cool.gif

Adam, I love the way that every so often you casually toss out a scan of an incredible book. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've always liked Jim Mooney's artwork -- starting with, don't shoot me, Dial H for Hero that I read when I was a kid. In going through Gerber guide many moons back, I decided it would be nice to pick up one of Mooney's early efforts and focused on this particular issue because I liked the mummy theme and the overall design and color scheme. My first chance to get a copy was many years later and it happened to be the Church copy, which I was quite please to pick up. What I liked when I opened it up is that the mummy is actually a master criminal as well as the arch foe of Lightening and there's an entertaining Jim Mooney story that matches cover. cloud9.gif

I can add this one to the mix, LB Cole's 1st comic cover (as far as I can tell!):

51rqd5.jpg

And we're off!! I've only recently discovered that is thought to be his first cover! Knew you'd have to have one in your collection! Hopefully this thread will be back to stay a while.

I’ve not enough decent stuff to start a new one, I’d feel embarassed.

Here’s my FF#4, with the first Unknown Soldier in title (first Unknown Soldier apperance should be Our Flag #1 or #2):

hvIAjM0h.jpg

And since it unfortunately has covers detached I can show you the splash page as well… :)

WTbL0HEh.jpg

One of my favorite GA books, the previous one to that #13, which I did not know it was the first L.B. Cole cover. The inside story of the Unknown Soldier has L.B. Cole art…

kqFzlenh.jpg

Centerspread looks like this, and it’s an original story:

gefTlwDh.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship) absolutely stunning!

This one has a cool Unknown Soldier story but my copy has brittle pages… :(

CPyXigvh.jpg

and I've always liked this kooky cover( no way that guy would make a hole in the wall like that! lol but very low grade is all I've been able to come across. Nice !

I thought it was too much a nice book to be a VG (the grade the seller had it listed at), but when I got it I realized it was brittle, and thus a GD at best.

I stopped trusting that seller grade, afterwards… :(

I am on the lookout for a coverless copy with nice PQ if someone has one… :)

And i have shown these before(but not together!)on the Gerber 8 No Show thread. Four Favorites 24 and 26. I'm going to submit these for grading in person at the NYC Con next month (so you'll see them again lol ). Goes without saying, hard to find books. ffg8_zps64f47e46.jpg

For some reason, your Photobucket pictures are not showing on this page, on my computer… hm

Very nice… I never saw these. At this point the Unknown Soldier was already gone, and since I was interested in that alone, I never had the occasion to look at the late issues.

EDIT: They show, it just takes time – I guess Photobucket is having a slowdown… :P

Edited by vaillant

man I used the search function when I landed this book to no avail!! so excited that we thread dedicated to this great publisher :applause: awesome books everyone!!! Corey, Claudio, JB keep em coming guys!! and those cover recreations are sweet as always!! I lost out recently trying to upgrade my beater copy of Banner #4 but here is my copy which I've posted before but it seems at home here!! also lost out on the #3 and the captain courageous book :cry: great books everyone & Claudio let's figure out a way to pry that four favorites #12 out of your hands :baiting::grin: I know I know it's going to the grave with ya!! keep a look out brother!! anyways on to the show...

14623132230_6ab85712b4_b.jpg