• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

Great copy!

I've heard many different opinions about the beginning of the Silver Age. So was it this comic or Fantastic Four number one? What do you guys think?

For an absolute Marvel fan, the beginning of the silver age can be FF#1.

But if you are really looking for the milestone of the new super-heroes era, it is definitively SC#4.

SC#4 was a bold and innovative attempt even for DC.

When Showcase started, Jack Schiff thought to premiere "forest rangers and boy scouts", not super-heroes.

Marvel would not have thought to launch a new line of super-powered guys if DC sales were not strong.

But Marvel fans will continue to argue about this for years and years... lol

I did. I am working on the possibility of buying a collection and I need to build my war chest per se. That and the fact my set is mostly 6-7's and it made more sense it go to a person who's grade goals are higher. How altruistic of me huh?

By the way, in case anyone missed this. The Don Maggie Thompson copy of #37 was resold through Heritage for $11,500 on 9/11/2014! Granted its a white-pager and the highest graded but that's almost triple the hammer price it sold for in November of 2013. That's quite a jump! It is nice to see DCs finally starting to get some love. I wish I had.bought more to invest in. Showcase 4's were a steal a few years ago. Maybe still are.. It'll be interesting to see what effect the tv series has - if it's any good that is :wishluck:

Bob

By the way, in case anyone missed this. The Don Maggie Thompson copy of #37 was resold through Heritage for $11,500 on 9/11/2014! Granted its a white-pager and the highest graded but that's almost triple the hammer price it sold for in November of 2013. That's quite a jump! It is nice to see DCs finally starting to get some love. I wish I had.bought more to invest in. Showcase 4's were a steal a few years ago. Maybe still are.. It'll be interesting to see what effect the tv series has - if it's any good that is :wishluck:

Bob

From what I have read so far, the TV series will be top notch, with all of the A-list actors signing on as the Flash's rogues. We will know soon enough how the audience likes it, since CW will air the pilot in a few more weeks. I saw the pilot when it leaked, and I could not stop grinning ear to ear. I really want to see if SC 34 bumps up due to The Atom being on the show as a regular as well.

It's gong to be a great Fall season on TV, that's for sure. Even the Marvel guys and gals are in for a treat, with Daredevil coming to Netflix. And I'm sure they are going to up the ante on Shield. But Flash is what I'm waiting to see :cloud9:

I did. I am working on the possibility of buying a collection and I need to build my war chest per se. That and the fact my set is mostly 6-7's and it made more sense it go to a person who's grade goals are higher. How altruistic of me huh?

Very altruistic ! lol

Too bad I can't buy it right now, it would have been perfect with my other 9.0... :(

But I am budget-conscious even if your SC#37 is a comic I would have dreamed to have !

Just have spent money for my home loan and to buy my wife a new handbag for her birthday ! ;)

Speaking of which, here's a nice mid-grade copy

http://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous/coming-soon-/p/7099-82019.s

Another comic I once have dreamed to have !

In fact, I just saved money from 2012 to 2013 to buy one (last 6.0 sale in 2012 was around $6000 I think).

Well, I had to wait a little more than one year before seeing a nice one for sale again.

A this time, a 5.0 was sold $9000 and the 6.0 was sold around $12 000.

So long my SC#4... lol

Well, with the spare money I bought SC#13, #17, #30, #76, an Extra #1 and I upgraded my Kamandi #1.

Some people around here will tell me that I should have bought a lower grade SC#4 but I am not an investor and only a happy collector. :)

In fact, I just saved money from 2012 to 2013 to buy one (last 6.0 sale in 2012 was around $6000 I think).

Well, I had to wait a little more than one year before seeing a nice one for sale again.

So long my SC#4... lol

Well, with the spare money I bought SC#13, #17, #30, #76, an Extra #1 and I upgraded my Kamandi #1.

Some people around here will tell me that I should have bought a lower grade SC#4 but I am not an investor and only a happy collector. :)

By any chance is your extra #1 a 5.0 or better? hm

So long my SC#4... lol

By any chance is your extra #1 a 5.0 or better? hm

Sam - do you have a list of what you need posted anywhere?

There's no point doing this unless it makes you happy.

Collect within your means, that's the recipe for happiness.

You are so right !

Boba, you are one of the kindest and wisest person I ever met !

Thanks (worship)

Well, maybe you're being a little generous in your assessment :blush:

Let's just say, I'm a works-in-progress along those lines.

But thank you so very much for that kind compliment.

It's made my day :foryou:

Bob