• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucifer ordered for a Fox pilot
1 1

504 posts in this topic

DC Comics And Fox Now Developing A Series Starring SANDMAN Character LUCIFER

------------------

The site adds that the TV series which Kapinos is also writing, "centers on Lucifer who, bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the gorgeous, shimmering insanity of Los Angeles, where he opens an exclusive piano bar called Lux."

------------------

I loved the 'The Sandman: Season of Mists' story arc, with Lucifer shutting down Hell, including kicking out all the demons and souls out o go do something else.

I didn't see that coming. But can a supporting character like this maintain a dedicated TV series?

DC Comics And Fox Now Developing A Series Starring SANDMAN Character LUCIFER

------------------

The site adds that the TV series which Kapinos is also writing, "centers on Lucifer who, bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the gorgeous, shimmering insanity of Los Angeles, where he opens an exclusive piano bar called Lux."

------------------

I loved the 'The Sandman: Season of Mists' story arc, with Lucifer shutting down Hell, including kicking out all the demons and souls out o go do something else.

I didn't see that coming. But can a supporting character like this maintain a dedicated TV series?

you need to start posting first appearance info with these threads :devil:

great news. I figured they'd do a 'thessaly tv series before they did a major deity show, heck even books of magic/House of Secrets would work, but I dunno about Lucifer.

I always thought a show about Hob Gadling would be brilliant. Interesting news. thanks for posting!

great news. I figured they'd do a 'thessaly tv series before they did a major deity show, heck even books of magic/House of Secrets would work, but I dunno about Lucifer.

I always thought a show about Hob Gadling would be brilliant. Interesting news. thanks for posting!

I hope so. I have been hoarding Sandman 13s for a couple years.

The movie announcement has done next to nothing for the value of this book, which is unfortunate. It really is under valued (with the exception of course being the #8 editorial variant which only has about 30 known surviving copies, and always costs an arm and a leg the one or two times a year one comes available). Maybe this announcement will move the needle a little more on this classic series.

-J.

(with the exception of course being the #8 editorial variant which only has about 30 known surviving copies,

Interesting.

Where did you get this information?

Just took a quick look at the census.

-J.

There are 34 copies on the census.

What makes you think the census represents all surviving copies?

(with the exception of course being the #8 editorial variant which only has about 30 known surviving copies,

Interesting.

-J.

...."known" copies. There were what only 600 originally made and handed out in just two locations in California ? That particular issue has been sought after for some time. It's a safe bet the majority of them are known to the market at this point. (thumbs u

-J.

Interesting.

-J.

...."known" copies. There were what only 600 originally made and handed out in just two locations in California ? That particular issue has been sought after for some time. It's a safe bet the majority of them are known to the market at this point. (thumbs u

-J.

Those that aren't known to the market probably just haven't been brought to the market. Unless somebody made a huge effort to acquire and hoard them and then just happened to get caught in a hurricane or a fire, I'd guess that instead of 34 known copies there have are less than 34 copies from the original run that were destroyed and that only a small percentage have been damaged to less than newsstand condition.

Edited by bluechip

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

Those that aren't known to the market probably just haven't been brought to the market. Unless somebody made a huge effort to acquire and hoard them and then just happened to get caught in a hurricane or a fire, I'd guess that instead of 34 known copies there have are less than 34 copies from the original run that were destroyed and that only a small percentage have been damaged to less than newsstand condition.

I'm not sure about that. There were only about 600 printed and many were given away at just two comic book shops in LA and San Fran. The story is that not even all of the original 600 were handed out, that some of the remaining were kept and sold on the secondary market and the rest destroyed.

I think a close comparison would be the batman 608rrp. There were around 500 of those given out to dealers in 2002. Once they became highly collectible, copies started hitting cgc in force. Now there are about 280 on the census.

Sandman 8 editorial came out in 1989, and it has been considered the holy grail of the series for the better part of a decade.

And even now, 25 years later, barely 30 copies are on the census.

Based on those percentages, I'd be surprised if even 100 total copies have survived. That's one rare book.

-J.

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

I'm not sure about that. There were only about 600 printed and many were given away at just two comic book shops in LA and San Fran. The story is that not even all of the original 600 were handed out, that some of the remaining were kept and sold on the secondary market and the rest destroyed.

I think a close comparison would be the batman 608rrp. There were around 500 of those given out to dealers in 2002. Once they became highly collectible, copies started hitting cgc in force. Now there are about 280 on the census.

Sandman 8 editorial came out in 1989, and it has been considered the holy grail of the series for the better part of a decade.

Based on those percentages, I'd be surprised if even 100 total copies have survived. That's one rare book.

-J.

You're confusing the census with what is "known." The census does not represent the final word on what is known to exist, and what is not.

There are reasons why the book isn't represented by bigger numbers on the census; for example, the editorial is what makes it special, and once the book is slabbed, it has to be unslabbed to look at it, which prevents people from slabbing them in the first place.

Also...females make up a larger percentage of Sandman collectors than standard superhero books, and female comic fans both hold onto their collectibles much tighter than men (they are collectors in the truest sense, and how much money they might make selling it doesn't generally factor into it), and tend not to be as much into slabbing.

This is a 1989 book, not a 1949 book...people who bought Sandman (and most comics in 1989) are and were very, very unlikely to dispose of them in the trash.

Sandman #8 variant has been a "grail" (oh, how I hate this word) since it became generally known in early 1990, not just the last decade. By the time it came out, Sandman had gained considerable word of mouth buzz, and was fast becoming a "hot book." These books, even when they cool down, have much less chance of being tossed than books that were never hot to begin with (like, say, New Gods.)

Where do you get the information that the remaining copies were destroyed....?

There are many more than 30, or 100, copies of this book still in existence.

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

-J.

You're confusing the census with what is "known." The census does not represent the final word on what is known to exist, and what is not.

There are reasons why the book isn't represented by bigger numbers on the census; for example, the editorial is what makes it special, and once the book is slabbed, it has to be unslabbed to look at it, which prevents people from slabbing them in the first place.

Also...females make up a larger percentage of Sandman collectors than standard superhero books, and female comic fans both hold onto their collectibles much tighter than men (they are collectors in the truest sense, and how much money they might make selling it doesn't generally factor into it), and tend not to be as much into slabbing.

This is a 1989 book, not a 1949 book...people who bought Sandman (and most comics in 1989) are and were very, very unlikely to dispose of them in the trash.

Sandman #8 variant has been a "grail" (oh, how I hate this word) since it became generally known in early 1990, not just the last decade. By the time it came out, Sandman had gained considerable word of mouth buzz, and was fast becoming a "hot book." These books, even when they cool down, have much less chance of being tossed than books that were never hot to begin with (like, say, New Gods.)

I had one of these a few years ago and sold it on the boards and by few years I'm thinking like 2009. So if I've had one pass through my hands, it can't be THAT rare right? I didn't sell it for much either. Of course I probably sold it in a lot of Sandman books.

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Slabbed or raw, a copy only comes to market a few times a year. And they are usually the same copies. One 9.8, new to market sold recently for $2k (full ask) the moment it listed. Fact of the matter Is we can only speculate how many have survived, my estimates are based on what I see on the census and what I have observed on the open market and recorded sales by GPA. I do not believe people "aren't slabbing" them because, if they do, they can not read the editorial. You can't read any part of a comic once it's slabbed regardless. Fact of the matter is, with what these things sell for, with how valuable they are, even in under 9.0 grades, if they were out there in abundance, there would be more on the census and more regularly on the market. Pricey/hot comics tend to get slabbed, especially after movie/TV show announcements. The census does not need to have "every issue printed" on it for us to derive an indication as to what is out there. Only 30 copies of a potentially four figure, 25 year old book on the census? I'd actually be surprised if there were even another 60-70 copies floating around out there raw. And I'd be even more surprised if any significant percentage of them were 9.6/9.8 candidates.

But again, it's just an educated guesstimate from what is present on the census, the GPA, and the open market.

-J.