• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Infamous Atari E.T. cartridges moving from landfill to eBay, museums

When a documentary film company unearthed tens of thousands of unsold copies of ET: The Extraterrestrial for the Atari 2600, it put one of gaming’s biggest myths to rest.

Now, though, there's the question of what to do with them. In a 7-0 vote this week, the city council of Alamogorado, New Mexico -- home to the famous dump that contained the games – has decided to auction some off and send the rest to museums.

All totaled, the dig for the buried title resulted in a whopping 792,000 games being discovered (including E.T and 58 other titles). The council has so far agreed what to do with 1,300 of them.

Eight hundred will be auctioned off on eBay in three different lots. That's meant to help the town get a better sense of the value of these pieces of gaming history. The rest will be packaged together and lent to museums. Inquiries have already come in from as far as Rome.

"Part of the problem is that the digging up of these games is a unique situation," said Joe Lewandowski, manager of the dig site. "No one has ever done anything like this before and no one will probably ever do anything like this again. ... We thought we were going to get 30,000 or 40,000 games, there's 792,000 down there, but we got 1,300, and one hundred of them went to the film company so that's increased their value."

Lewandowski says the city has already received a $500 offer for one copy of the landfill version of E.T. New Mexico's Museum of Space History will be handling the next steps: inventory, certification and re-sealing the games.

At the moment, a copy of E.T. sells for less than $10 on eBay, but that's one without historical significance. Got a guess as to how much people will pay for one that has been buried for years?

ok-- they proved it wasn't a myth. So leave it buried. No one needs that .

When a documentary film company unearthed tens of thousands of unsold copies of ET: The Extraterrestrial for the Atari 2600, it put one of gaming’s biggest myths to rest.

Now, though, there's the question of what to do with them. In a 7-0 vote this week, the city council of Alamogorado, New Mexico -- home to the famous dump that contained the games – has decided to auction some off and send the rest to museums.

All totaled, the dig for the buried title resulted in a whopping 792,000 games being discovered (including E.T and 58 other titles). The council has so far agreed what to do with 1,300 of them.

Eight hundred will be auctioned off on eBay in three different lots. That's meant to help the town get a better sense of the value of these pieces of gaming history. The rest will be packaged together and lent to museums. Inquiries have already come in from as far as Rome.

"Part of the problem is that the digging up of these games is a unique situation," said Joe Lewandowski, manager of the dig site. "No one has ever done anything like this before and no one will probably ever do anything like this again. ... We thought we were going to get 30,000 or 40,000 games, there's 792,000 down there, but we got 1,300, and one hundred of them went to the film company so that's increased their value."

Lewandowski says the city has already received a $500 offer for one copy of the landfill version of E.T. New Mexico's Museum of Space History will be handling the next steps: inventory, certification and re-sealing the games.

At the moment, a copy of E.T. sells for less than $10 on eBay, but that's one without historical significance. Got a guess as to how much people will pay for one that has been buried for years?

Pfft. Worthless junk made more worthless , if possible, by finding more of them.

ok-- they proved it wasn't a myth. So leave it buried. No one needs that .

No kidding. Like I want something that spent 30 years in a dump. I wouldn't take a copy for free. The garbage dump was the right place for it.

I'm really enjoying Destiny. It isn't the perfect game by any means, but the scope of it is pretty cool. It is a pretty solid shooter and there is enough there to make me want to play more and level up.

Right now I'm at 18 and I believe I've finished the primary story play through. The story could have been stronger, but the focus wasn't on the story. Bungie also planted enough seeds that can grow with future DLC.

I'm curious to see how they manage it going forward. My bet is that every three months or so they add in a $30 DLC. That way they hit on a "subscription" fee, in a way.

Also, just because I finished the story mode, there is still a lot to do. I've also heard that when you get to level 20 the game really changes.

Titanfall has also done a great job of updating just the basics of the game. Each time there is a patch/update the game is noticeably better. I have to imagine Bungie is going to do something similar here.

I actually returned Destiny. I don't know, I read a couple of reviews and it doesn't seem like its for me. Besides I got a couple other games I need to get, Far Cry 4, Lego Batman, The Crew

Do you like FPS?

I think you'll be missing out, but at the same time it isn't for everyone…

Something I'm unclear about. Can Destiny's single player campaign be played offline?

I don't think so…

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/destiny-the-game-faq,news-19221.html

You need the internet, at least it looks like.

I played most of the story mode by myself though. I had people jump in my fire team at a few different time, but most of my friends are still playing 360s and haven't moved in to the next gen.

I'll add: It was pretty cool how inhabited the world was. At times, I've felt isolated and at others I felt like there was a rich world of people. Once I hit a section with some tough bad guys. I was struggling and just really running and hiding. Then someone who was a few levels above me stumbled in to the same portion and he was very helpful.

They also have random missions appear out of nowhere. One mission we had to protect something that fell from the sky. All of a sudden, there was like 10 players. It made it really easy and we just mowed through the opposition. It was pretty cool.

Edited by Chris S.

I actually returned Destiny. I don't know, I read a couple of reviews and it doesn't seem like its for me. Besides I got a couple other games I need to get, Far Cry 4, Lego Batman, The Crew

Do you like FPS?

I think you'll be missing out, but at the same time it isn't for everyone

I do, but the issues I've been hearing is that first, campaign can't be played offline (My internet sucks), lackluster narrative, short campaign, repetitive gameplay, no mission variety, no environment interaction, no real voice chat, But the biggest problem for me was that I was paying $60 for an always online game that I'd also have to buy expansion packs for to get the "full experience" as Bungie would say. I got really worried when Bungie told us not to listen to reviews of this game as you need to have the full experience. It just seems like this was way overhyped. The last game I played that was just as overhyped was Watch_Dogs. And that game is so forgettable to me I wish I'd have saved my money instead.

Something I'm unclear about. Can Destiny's single player campaign be played offline?

I don't think so…

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/destiny-the-game-faq,news-19221.html

You need the internet, at least it looks like.

I played most of the story mode by myself though. I had people jump in my fire team at a few different time, but most of my friends are still playing 360s and haven't moved in to the next gen.

I'll add: It was pretty cool how inhabited the world was. At times, I've felt isolated and at others I felt like there was a rich world of people. Once I hit a section with some tough bad guys. I was struggling and just really running and hiding. Then someone who was a few levels above me stumbled in to the same portion and he was very helpful.

They also have random missions appear out of nowhere. One mission we had to protect something that fell from the sky. All of a sudden, there was like 10 players. It made it really easy and we just mowed through the opposition. It was pretty cool.

Thanks for the info. :) I'm only really interested in single player campaigns, offline, so it doesn't sound as if the game's for me.