• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

I acquired this book several years ago from Metropolis. I had been searching for a copy of Submariner 32 for several years. The closest I had come was a poor copy, brittle and seriously crumbling in a poly bag, that was offered at the Chicage ComicCon for a non-negotiable $125. This was 1996 or so, and the price was, I'm certain, over GOOD guide.

This Candian copy is numbered 31, and dated 8/49, the month after the date on the domestic Subby 32. The book shows surprisingly bright colors and decent color registration throughout. I apologize for the partial interior scan, but the book is VF or better, and I don't want to stress the spine. Apart from the usual Canadian ads, the book appears to reprint exactly the USA #32.

sm31.jpg

sm31a.jpg

This is Stephen Lipson, your fellow forumite and collector of Canadian Comics.

I would like to purchase Golden Age Canadian comics.

To learn more about me go to the below link:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=eccomiccollector

PM me with anything any of the Forum Members may have for sale

Cheers,

Stephen Lipson

Stephen do you know where I can get a hold of a copy of the Sub-Mariner #32 (listed as #31) in any grade? I am really interested in Atlas/Timely books but this issue (one of my favorites) is probably even more scarce than the original version? How do I get data on what issues for what series were reprinted or is that information long gone? hi.gif from a fellow Canadian.

I just listed this Mr. Mystery 2. It appears to be Canadian - it says printed in Canada in bold after the indica on the back cover, and it has cheesy ads. Anyone have a US copy? This was published in NY, correct?

954003-mm2.jpg

954003-mm2.jpg.bf1d6262eed4dfed81bda64ab838ba64.jpg

Here's an illustration of why Canadian reprints are generally held in low esteem. Here's the cover of Reno Browne 51:

Reno51.jpg

...and here's the Canadian reprint:

CanReno1.jpg

Aside from inferior printing quality, what's the difference? Well, if your eyes aren't too fatigued from reading posts concerning the CGC & J. Ewert Follies, you'll notice that the Canadian book, while claiming to be "a BIG EXTRA VALUE magazine," does not boast "52 GREAT PAGES of WESTERN THRILLS."

This transformation is accomplished by some trimming that makes Jason look like a brain surgeon! While both books boast 5 Reno Browne stories illustrated by the remarkably adroit Russ Heath, the original Reno 51 contains 32 pages of his art, while the Canadian counterpart has only 22 pages worth. Sometimes the pages are simply omitted, and sometimes the ellipsis is accompanied by a nearly legible synopsis:

CanReno3.jpg

CanReno2.jpg

The inferior printing quality is apparent throughout the book. Still, for all it's shortcomings, it's a pretty neat book, if only as a textbook example of a hack job.

Reno51a.jpg

We now return you to our regularly scheduled .broadcast.

Very insightful comments and observations, AtlasT thumbsup2.gif

I have my share of Canadian copies of Atlas books but have never tried the direct comparison you did nor compare different titles from the same time period to check any difference. I know I had never seen the awful summaries at the end of page.

Do you know if the Canadian distributor for Timely / Atlas changed over the years or if it was always the same outfit?