• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

I guess this pic belongs here too. :whistle:

catman28group_zps32ce6bc8.jpg

AMAZING!!!! I've often thought it'd be fun to pick one cool, rare book and collect as many copies as I can find, but there are way too many other comics I want to focus on just one. But kudos to you for putting this together. Truly impressive!

:golfclap:

Time to bump this thread with a few rarities! Here's a bunch of early LB Cole pulp covers that I just picked up. I'm now only missing a few of that I know about. I'll fix that soon...

2vl6s00.jpg

Edited by pmpknface

Love the ppbs. :applause:

Do you have copies of the 2 Target Western Romances issues? Would love to see your copies :wishluck:

Thanks! I've posted pics of the other ones I have pages & pages ago in this thread. I almost have his run of the Croydon ones. I know of a few more that he's done that I'll track down.

Here is my copy of the toughest of the Target Western's:

za9z4.jpg

How tough relatively are they to find? I haven't looked but the whole Western Romance is really intriguing. As an experiment, it lasted a very short time. These titles came online circa mid- to late 1949 and by the end of 1950, they were mostly all gone. Only two titles lasted into 1951: Fawcett's Cowboy Love and Standard's Western Hearts and yet, they only had 5 issues combined in 1951. While some later experiments came along, the hot flash of the Western Romance was here and gone in the blink of an eye. I have to assume the publishers saw atrocious sell-through on these for these titles to be put to pasture so quickly.

Anyway, it seems you have the other one. Any chance to see a scan of it as well?

How tough relatively are they to find? I haven't looked but the whole Western Romance is really intriguing. As an experiment, it lasted a very short time. These titles came online circa mid- to late 1949 and by the end of 1950, they were mostly all gone. Only two titles lasted into 1951: Fawcett's Cowboy Love and Standard's Western Hearts and yet, they only had 5 issues combined in 1951. While some later experiments came along, the hot flash of the Western Romance was here and gone in the blink of an eye. I have to assume the publishers saw atrocious sell-through on these for these titles to be put to pasture so quickly.

Anyway, it seems you have the other one. Any chance to see a scan of it as well?

You're forgetting FH's Cowgirl Romance with 12 issues lasting into '52.

I gather with the increased interest in the late 40s in both western and romance genres, and the long history of successful western romance pulps, it seemed like an obvious direction to several publishers simultaneously, but it is interesting how short lived the sub-genre was compared to the other two, which still seemed strong for a few years after the code.

You're forgetting FH's Cowgirl Romance with 12 issues lasting into '52.

Certainly, I am finishing to compile the data. That series is coming up starting in 1950 and also Pioneer West Romances that are part of the tail end.

Others on my current list are:

Cowboy Love

Cowboy Romances

Frontier Romances

Golden West Love

Love Trails

Range Romances

Rangeland Love

Real West Romances

Romance Trail

Romances of the West

Romantic Western

Saddle Romances

Target Western Romances

Western Hearts

Western Life Romances

Western Love

Western Love Trails

I'll give a better accounting once I finish this off.

This issue seems much harder to find than the #106, which I have but not scanned. I'll make it a priority, although I won't have time this evening. However I have this one that Scrooge can add to his list, this 1-shot:

2jfnayw.jpg

Many of the copies I've seen are badly miscut and trim the wording off on the right, but this copy looked well centered, so I went for it. There was a hi grade copy out there recently, I think posted here, or at least on ebay.

Edited by pmpknface