• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,020 posts in this topic

Just received an auction win of a Marvel Preview lot (#s16-25) today, and noticed that all of them had the Mark Jewelers insert in them. I've heard of this insert, which had been included in comics distributed from military bases toward the end of the Vietnam War. My question is, would this insert increase the value of a comic by a bit, if any?

MJI (and National Diamond) were put in books distributed to overseas military bases (although it has been confirmed that some were distributed at US bases). They ran in every 32 page book (not giants or square bound) from most of the major players (Marvel, DC, Dell/Gold Key, Charlton) from '72 through the early '90s.

Unless you have one in a key issue you're not going to see any premium. However, I have seen where they actually make the sale on some more common and/or lower grade books that just don't seem to move.

So - any estimate on the premium? -

As luck would have it - the latest collection that I bought was from a military estate - have an IM 55 with the diamond insert - I saw images in the thread with the insert noted on the slab- but no real mention in GPA as far as I can tell.

THANKS in advance

Just received an auction win of a Marvel Preview lot (#s16-25) today, and noticed that all of them had the Mark Jewelers insert in them. I've heard of this insert, which had been included in comics distributed from military bases toward the end of the Vietnam War. My question is, would this insert increase the value of a comic by a bit, if any?

MJI (and National Diamond) were put in books distributed to overseas military bases (although it has been confirmed that some were distributed at US bases). They ran in every 32 page book (not giants or square bound) from most of the major players (Marvel, DC, Dell/Gold Key, Charlton) from '72 through the early '90s.

Unless you have one in a key issue you're not going to see any premium. However, I have seen where they actually make the sale on some more common and/or lower grade books that just don't seem to move.

As luck would have it - the latest collection that I bought was from a military estate - have an IM 55 with the diamond insert - I saw images in the thread with the insert noted on the slab- but no real mention in GPA as far as I can tell.

THANKS in advance

Congrats on the pick up. Yours is the only other copy of that that I have heard of. Any opinion on the grade ? Does it have the star stamp?

As far as "premium paid", some people won't pay any, others will. I would say a majority would pay a premium if the insert is in a big key like your IM 55, and the issue is in relative high grade (8.0+). I've seen other keys with the insert sell at a 15-20% premium under those circumstances. Maybe even a little more.

-J.

THANKS in advance

Congrats on the pick up. Yours is the only other copy of that that I have heard of. Any opinion on the grade ? Does it have the star stamp?

As far as "premium paid", some people won't pay any, others will. I would say a majority would pay a premium if the insert is in a big key like your IM 55, and the issue is in relative high grade (8.0+). I've seen other keys with the insert sell at a 15-20% premium under those circumstances. Maybe even a little more.

-J.

No star stamp - with a press - 7 or better - the book is in good shape - some creasing that should press out - no matter what the grade, it is a cool book and the score of the collection - saw this thread earlier but did not realize until tonight that the 55 had the insert (sold an IM 54 to a boardie that had one so I checked)

THANKS in advance

-J.

No star stamp - with a press - 7 or better - the book is in good shape - some creasing that should press out - no matter what the grade, it is a cool book and the score of the collection - saw this thread earlier but did not realize until tonight that the 55 had the insert (sold an IM 54 to a boardie that had one so I checked)

Yes those are always neat to run across. Quite the rarity, I would definitely hold onto that one. :applause:

-J.

OK - so now every one of the books now has to go under the microscope ---

Not a full key - but a mini one found -

ASM 122 (death of goblin) - has the marks insert - and a second insert inside (mennon contest and federal credit union ad) - almost like a second cover (made from what looks like cover material).

no blue star

book seems in decent condition except for the staples - fully attached - but with the 1/8 or less tearing crosswise around them. Probably getting this pressed and slabbed - if only to make sure the staples do not shift any more.

Any clue on this? - does the second ad make this any more rare?

ASM 122 (death of goblin) - has the marks insert - and a second insert inside (mennon contest and federal credit union ad) - almost like a second cover (made from what looks like cover material).

no blue star

book seems in decent condition except for the staples - fully attached - but with the 1/8 or less tearing crosswise around them. Probably getting this pressed and slabbed - if only to make sure the staples do not shift any more.

I don't think there is any additional bump for the other insert. But it still sounds pretty cool. (thumbs u

-J.

no blue star

I have a similar book with an Alka Seltzer insert in addition to the Mark Jeweler.

Surely I love them, also because they "protect" the book more.

How would you grade your #122? – personally I would not slab these…

no blue star

I have a similar book with an Alka Seltzer insert in addition to the Mark Jeweler.

Surely I love them, also because they "protect" the book more.

How would you grade your #122? – personally I would not slab these…

IT is a difficult one - because without the main defect - could be an 8+ (might reach a 9 with a press) --- but the staples on the outer cover each have the 4 horizontal tears - maybe 1/4 in - that allow the cover to pull away from the book. This is one of the reasons I am thinking of a press and slab- as handling risks growing these.

If I had 4 small tears on their own (just on the cover) - would think the book might reach 7 to 7.5 -- but at staples - 6 tp 6.5....

This one - to me is really a slabber if only to preserve the grade. I have marvel unlimited for reading.

The 122 is definitely a keeper. Wish the original owner kept collecting for 7 more issues though.......

I bought a small lot of books recently and I hammered the seller cause there were star stamps on many of the books, only to find out when I got them home that they had the MJ insert in them. I read somewhere the stars are okay to have. I didn't know at that time

I bought a small lot of books recently and I hammered the seller cause there were star stamps on many of the books, only to find out when I got them home that they had the MJ insert in them. I read somewhere the stars are okay to have. I didn't know at that time

:makepoint: (thumbs u

I found today that my Iron Man #128 has a MJ insert, I don't see any on Ebay and was curious what everyone thought it might be worth. Book is probably around a 6.0?

16160172555_16f987725c_n.jpg

15972743388_62f29fc089_n.jpg

Cool book! There's no hard and fast rule, but if it's a key I would say the value increase would be about the equivalent of one grade bump up. So the higher the grade, the bigger the $ difference.

-J.

I'll remember that buying "technique" in the future . . . :baiting:lol

:makepoint: (thumbs u

ya - stars are actually more desirable than just the inserts - the inserts were distributed to any armed forces base (which would include US bases) - while the stars indicated overseas shipments.

The assumption is that the "stars" are even more rare to find.

Does any one know if any MJ Inserts made it into Darkhawk comics? I think the first few issues coincide with the end of the time period for MJ Inserts (early 90's).

I found today that my Iron Man #128 has a MJ insert, I don't see any on Ebay and was curious what everyone thought it might be worth. Book is probably around a 6.0?

One of the more "inserts" knowledgeable boardies explained it to me like this -

for key issues - might get a 25% bump in price. The insert books can be rare (especially the early ones) , but it is an internal variant so not a huge bump for uniqueness.

For non keys - would get closer to guide and probably sell quicker. So a benefit - but not a large scale windfall.