• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Popscomicbooks on eBay

31 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm just recently joined the forum, but have been watching posts for a few months. Because I'm new, I imagine my post may not carry a lot of weight with long-time members, but I wanted to post this nonetheless. It's all true.

I was looking for a premium comic for my son for his 18th birthday. He's 3yrs old now. I was looking on eBay and found an Amazing Fantasy #15, 4.5 grade sold by Popscomicbooks. It was in my price range, so I clicked "Buy It Now" to purchase. I hadn't purchased anything like this on eBay before, but given their Satisfaction Guarantee, I figured I didn't have anything to lose.

So I started messaging back and forth with Tina from Popscomicbooks and it became evident this deal was not going to close through eBay. I live in Canada and there was no way they were going to ship to Canada. This was in the listing, but I live near the US border and have a US mailing address so I didn't think that would be an issue. But, as some of you may now (and I discovered), with an eBay transaction they must send it to the PayPal verified address, which was in Canada, and they wouldn't do that. So, (and Tina was very pleasant and professional in all this) we mutually agreed to cancel the sale on eBay and continue the discussion privately.

So, given my inexperience and having never dealt with this person before, I was very hesitant to conduct the deal off eBay as there was no longer a Satisfaction Guarantee. I kept asking Tina, how do I know you're legit? Where is your website? If you're so well known, where is your other inventory? Who are your clients? You don't have any transactions on eBay over $300 and now you're selling an AF #15? And you're selling shoes on eBay?

Through all this, Tina was very responsive in her e-mails, pleasant and professional. What finally swayed me was I googled "Popscomicbooks" and found a posting by on this forum by G.A.tor:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1981935&fpart=1

who said he had a great transaction with them. So, I went ahead. I transferred the funds through a PayPal eCheck. And of course the funds had to clear. Waiting. When it did, I said "Send me my book!" and Tina said "Well, it's on consignment, we have to wait for it to clear out of our PayPal account into our consignor's account...it takes a few more days". So now I have an ulcer thinking I'd been ripped off. But then Tina e-mailed me saying "Ok, it's on it's way, here's your tracking number". And....the package arrived the next day, I went and picked it up. It was packed very well, and it was exactly as advertised. Just what I wanted. I was thrilled.

The other posts I had read said people had problems with them regarding raw comics. This was already slabbed, and it went very well, just as Tina had promised. So, I just want to say, I wouldn't hesitate to get another slabbed book from them again. I can't attest to raw, but I was so relieved to discover my first foray into buying a higher-end comic went so smoothly!

Hope this helps someone later...

James

Geez, I was reading that waiting for something bad to happen and you lose your money!

So pleased it worked out for you, good to know there are some excellent sellers out there. Can we see it?

P.

you were lucky in dealing with them.

back in the day ( 10 years ago) they were VERY much OVERGRADERS.

They HYPED their Auctions worse than a carnival barker.

guess with CGC books that problem has been eliminated.

Hi, thanks for your info. My eBay ID is drj-jame. But yes, I had read all kinds of mixed messages about them and just wanted to post my experience. I e-mailed Tina to tell her it arrived safely and admitted to her I had given it about a 50/50 that I was getting ripped off.

I'd be happy to post a pic but I don't know how to attach photos to the posting. It just asks for a URL but the photo is on my computer.

I just sent it off to Desert Wind Comics yesterday for a Stan Lee signing, probably a few weeks before I get it back.

Its your book and you can do what you want. But why are you going to deface the book with a Stan Sig. Get Stan to sign something else

+1 I'm with VW and I'm sure majority would say the same thing too. AF #15 or any other keys should be left alone in terms of getting it signed. I truly believe it lowers the eye appeal and value of a major key. Hope you change your mind about it, but hey it is your book. I just care so much about beautiful books like this to get defaced by a signature.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. It is only a 4.5, so I figured it's not exactly a pristine cover and the plan for this book is to help fund my son's schooling when he's 18, so I thought the signature would make sense from an investment standpoint. I love the cover as well, do you think it will degrade the value?

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. It is only a 4.5, so I figured it's not exactly a pristine cover and the plan for this book is to help fund my son's schooling when he's 18, so I thought the signature would make sense from an investment standpoint. I love the cover as well, do you think it will degrade the value?

I am biased because I don't like signatures on the cover of comics, so take this with a grain of salt...

I would never have Lee or anyone sign this book. There are plenty of other keys out there that Lee worked on that would be a better option.

You are limiting who will want to buy this in the future, and Lee's signature is just not that uncommon. He's the Pete Rose of the comic book world.

I would definitely not do it.

Pristine cover or not, getting Stan to sign it will limit your market in the future, and thus your investment potential. So you would be well-advised to NOT have that done.

Good rule of thumb for getting anything signed -- if it's a ho-hum item not worth a great deal as-is, for sure, get it signed. If it's something worth say, over $1000 as-is, I'd leave it be. There are literally SO MANY other books you could have Stan affix his sig to, it just makes sense to leave the AF15 be.

Pristine cover or not, getting Stan to sign it will limit your market in the future, and thus your investment potential. So you would be well-advised to NOT have that done.

Good rule of thumb for getting anything signed -- if it's a ho-hum item not worth a great deal as-is, for sure, get it signed. If it's something worth say, over $1000 as-is, I'd leave it be. There are literally SO MANY other books you could have Stan affix his sig to, it just makes sense to leave the AF15 be.

consider doing some other research if investment is a concern for you. GPA, finished ebay sales, etc.

While the market might be somewhat more limited for something doesn't automatically make the realizable price lower (although certainly sometimes its linked).

Also consider how much more or less you think a Stan sig will be worth when your kid goes to college, and why. CGC might be defunked at that time and you've got a scribble on a key. Or you will have 1 of XXX 1st Spiderman with an authenticated sig of Stan Lee.

There's a lot to think about, and it MATTERS. So do your research, make the decision that meets the most of your preferences.

I know what you mean - and I can't help but do business with any place that ends on "o-rama" either. Just oozes credibility.

I figured out how to post the image. Thanks again for all your advice, it's a lot to consider!

photo.jpg

Looks like a really nice copy. Very well done. (thumbs u

Nice copy! Years ago, I deal't with "Pops" and talked to Tina before. Everything went smoothly on a Mister Mystery 12 I purchased from them. I veto getting the book signed as well. You don't want Stan's black sharpie to bleed through the cover. If it was Steve Ditko's sig that would be another story.