• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is considered Key Magazine Issues?
2 2

90 posts in this topic

The EC picto-fiction magazines are also great.

I agree but don't include them as mag keys as they are such oddities.

Not on the radar of many mag collectors... sort of falls within the purview of the EC collectors and completists more than the mag collectors.

- Deadly Hands of Kung Fu 14: Classic Neal Adams Bruce Lee cover. Try finding one of these in 9.0 or above. Definitely a key.

- American Splendor 1: Harvey Pekar's classic first issue of his famous run.

Mad #21 has what is probably considered the first appearance of A. E. Neuman....and that's while it was still a comic book. You have to search the cover to find Alfred....think Where's Alfred!

True...

But MAD #30 is the first true Alred E. Neuman cover where it prominently features his goofy visage. It was also a Norman Mingo cover too. Tie that in with it being the last of the MADs to have that awesome cover border always made #30 a bit more expensive than the other magazines except #24.

This is a tough question.

Does one include the magazine ( and even larger) sized comics from the early Golden Age? And what about humor magazines with comic content, but also text and photo features? Undergrounds?

One magazine I consider a key is Bacchanal #1, a college humor magazine from 1962 that features the first appearance of Wonder Wart-Hog.

I guess another UG related magazine that might be considered 'key' would be Cheri (12/76) which contained, aside from his Yum-Yum Book, the first color comic book by R. Crumb in the form of a 20 page excerpt from Carload O'Comics, a collection which was published in black and white. Also, there was a band that went around the magazine that isn't usually found that mentions the comic book and was possibly designed by Crumb.....

Don't forget about Marvel Graphic Novels, like :

#4 - 1st app. Of The New mutants

#5 - Xmen God Loves, Man Kills (key Xmen Story)

#22 - Amazing Spider-Man Hooky

#24 - Daredevil Love and War by Frank Miller

Or Rampaging Hulk #1

Or even #13 - first published Bill Sienkiewicz artwork.

Deadly Hands of KUNG Fu #1

Don't forget about Marvel Graphic Novels, like :

#4 - 1st app. Of The New mutants

#5 - Xmen God Loves, Man Kills (key Xmen Story)

#22 - Amazing Spider-Man Hooky

#24 - Daredevil Love and War by Frank Miller

Or Rampaging Hulk #1

Or even #13 - first published Bill Sienkiewicz artwork.

Deadly Hands of KUNG Fu #1

death of captain marvel :gossip: is a must have classic story!

regards

This is the rarest most sought after Bruce Lee magazine in Overstreet. Gotta be important.

Bruce1001_zps432a2e6f.jpg

I think it's rarity is due to all the lawsuits brought forth by parents who's kids ended up with broken hands......Somebody's legal team got them pulled off the racks, no doubt!!! doh!

Do you know who published this? (shrug)

Doesn't that Ccc logo between the date and the number at the left edge signify Curtis Publications aka Marvel?

"Curtis Circulation Company, LLC is a company that is in the magazines distribution business. It is also known for lending its name to an affiliated company, Marvel Comics Group, for a line of magazines."

Love and Rockets 1

cat 1

Planet of the Apes 1

Fangoria 9 (if you collect comic mags, this should be on the list)

Marvel Super Special 16 (first boba and Yoda arguably)

Spectacular Spiderman 1 and 2

Captain Britain 8 (UK)

2000 A.D (first Judge Dredd)

Spirou: Magic Flute (first Smurfs - consolidated)

Dr Who Weekly (UK)

Don't forget the last issues of many a mag title

Planet of the Apes 29 (26-29 are all tough)

Savage Sword of Conan 235 (220-234 also tough)

Vampirella 113

The late 1960s - 1970s put out quite a few artist compilations from Frazetta to Adams to Jeff Jones. Some are really hard to come by in any grade and usually get $40-$100 depending on what it is and condition.

Is Vampire Tales 2 considered Satana's first appearance or just a preview? I haven't been able to find any panels from this issue to she how she appeared. Not sure if I should add this as a key to my list of what I should hunt down or not. Thanks for any tips!

Yes. That's her first appearance and it's not some small cameo either.

I've been looking for a nice copy of VT #2 for awhile. Satanna is definitely in it in what I would call an "intro story". A young girl is pursued into any alley way by a degenerate homeless man with the intent of raping her. Just as the rape is about to happen, the girl is revealed to be Satanna and she takes his soul. She was the predator the entire time.

As a young kid at the time, I never read anything so gritty before.