• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

It can happen....... I know of two bidders that had bid on the page.

One I have dealt with and even spoke to after the auction.

So I'm not sure on the shill but I do know a few people that were bidding.

If I were unscrupulous enough to shill, it would not have been on such a high dollar item. Just in case there is any concern about that on this item... I drove this up to Vincent in July and handed it over to him and we had a conversation about setting a reserve on the item. Once I handed it to him I parted with it emotionally (Sort of).

I told him I'd be happy with 15k and we both thought it could exceed that so I went with no reserve. I was elated when it broke 20.

Enjoy the page James, if I ever get rich Ill make you an offer, ;)

If I were unscrupulous enough to shill, it would not have been on such a high dollar item. Just in case there is any concern about that on this item... I drove this up to Vincent in July and handed it over to him and we had a conversation about setting a reserve on the item. Once I handed it to him I parted with it emotionally (Sort of).

I told him I'd be happy with 15k and we both thought it could exceed that so I went with no reserve. I was elated when it broke 20.

Enjoy the page James, if I ever get rich Ill make you an offer, ;)

First and foremost, congratulations to you and James both.

You and Vincent were clearly right, but I'm curious as to what made you think that. I for one was quite surprised to see it go over 10k let alone 20. I'd be interested to know how you were able to make such a bold yet spot-on prediction. Especially when nothing in the market (to my knowledge) indicated that values were on the rise. In fact, until this sale I was beginning to think the market as a whole was on a slight decline (but that just might be me).

Based on the many pages I brought over the last two years and the 30 + pages that I walked away from. Plus adding in great offers that I made to sellers and collectors that turned me down :sorry:

I felt 15,000 is where it would fall.

I had three choices.....

Let a collector get it and never see it again...

Let a dealer get it and pay more down the road...

Or battle for it now.....

I never even bid til it got to around 18,000

Plus Phil works there.....he knows first hand about alot of WD OA sales.....private and public

James just answered for me. I don't know who would shill on items of this caliber. I wanted to sell the item... not have a friend get stuck as the winner. ;)

To be clear I wasn't trying to sound accusatory and in no way think you were involved in any shilling. I'm just trying to get a better handle on an incredible sale. You and James both have plenty to be happy about! :applause:

James just answered for me. I don't know who would shill on items of this caliber. I wanted to sell the item... not have a friend get stuck as the winner. ;)

To be clear I wasn't trying to sound accusatory and in no way think you were involved in any shilling. I'm just trying to get a better handle on an incredible sale. You and James both have plenty to be happy about! :applause:

Happy I got it.....not happy about price lol Its only natural.

But I get it,the way people would think about the sale number.

The only thing I know for sure is it will not be resold for a very,very long time. And the fact that maybe Im a little to open about my collecting habits.

When this page sold before on eBay (wasn't it listed a couple of times?) did it sell and if so, for how much? Maybe I'm confused, but I had thought it was up a couple of times over the past year.

The price blows me away, but glad a friend got it!

JJ

Based on the many pages I brought over the last two years and the 30 + pages that I walked away from. Plus adding in great offers that I made to sellers and collectors that turned me down :sorry:

I felt 15,000 is where it would fall.

I had three choices.....

Let a collector get it and never see it again...

Let a dealer get it and pay more down the road...

Or battle for it now.....

I never even bid til it got to around 18,000

Plus Phil works there.....he knows first hand about alot of WD OA sales.....private and public

;)

But in all seriousness, I do know a lot about the WD art market as a whole at this point. Hell, I started this thread a few years ago because I wanted to create discussion about the market. It seemed beneficial not only to me, but to other collectors who were just getting into collecting art. The rise in popularity of the Walking Dead seemed to parallel the maturation of the art market as a whole. Thus, I wanted to know if price increases were due to speculation, or actual increase in demand.

Vincent actually asked me personally if we should have consigned the page, and what I thought it would go for. I was thinking 10-15k. At the time, the Tyreese beheading page had recently sold on C-Link for a strong price, so it seemed that putting A to A+ pieces on the auction block was the most lucrative decision for sellers. But it was hard to tell if it was an outlier. I obviously made the right call because people's expectations were exceeded with the final sale price.

As a whole, I think that the market has certainly stayed strong. Average pages from after issue 36 have stagnated. Even "A to A+" pages, with a few exceptions, from after issue 48 don't command nearly as much as the pre-48 counterparts. Mark's pricing of pages has finally caught up to the market, which I think is a good thing - especially for Adlard. Moore is a whole different story. He still has the 1st 6 covers (amongst how many others) and dozens of pages. Kudos to him for still retaining and having the best collection of his own work!

We're talking about art that is now over 10 years old, at least the really early stuff. There are now, in my opinion, enough serious collectors where a page like this one that sold will have enough competition to drive up the price. Some deep pocketed individuals have entered and stayed in the market.

oh, and congrats again on getting the page James! :)

New TM page up for auction from Issue #5 with the full cast (Shane!).

We've all heard about the coffee stained early issues, but this is very bad. Pretty nondescript page, but given the recent auction I have absolutely no idea how high this could end. The only pages i can think of regarding public sales for comparison were from eBay about 1.5 years ago. Both featured two characters (one with Dale and Rick on the R.V., the other with Lori and Shane). Both ended for roughly $3K, and weren't damaged.

Also, can ComicLink hire an editor?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dwalking%2520dead%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1024987&id=1024987

RAD831472014819_104254.jpg

Edited by ComicsNYC22

I would love to see more TM pages surface.....I find it hard to understand how the page I brought can drive up WD prices. It was a page two splash from issues one that I had to have. This page I dont think falls into the Same mind set.

But lets talk About pages or covers that guessing the hammer price might prove impossible.....

I'll start with page one and Cover 19.....in an auction the out Come would be........

When this page sold before on eBay (wasn't it listed a couple of times?) did it sell and if so, for how much? Maybe I'm confused, but I had thought it was up a couple of times over the past year.

The price blows me away, but glad a friend got it!

JJ

Double J..... :hi:

I would love to see more TM pages surface.....I find it hard to understand how the page I brought can drive up WD prices. It was a page two splash from issues one that I had to have. This page I dont think falls into the Same mind set.

But lets talk About pages or covers that guessing the hammer price might prove impossible.....

I'll start with page one and Cover 19.....in an auction the out Come would be........

What about the cover to #1? That's the king of all WD OA.

Smartest thing Tony Moore ever did was to hang onto that cover...

What about the cover to #1? That's the king of all WD OA.

Smartest thing Tony Moore ever did was to hang onto that cover...

I thought about cover 1......I would agree it would be "THE GRAIL".

But for some reason in my mind I didn't include what TM was holding.

The things that came to mind were what I have seen in the secondary market or what is suspected to be in private collections. Like the complete issue 100 :cloud9: ............ but yes issue 1 would be a dream. Nowell I'm sure would be fighting some heavy hitters. I wonder why he didn't move on the 19 cover? Gene is one lucky man (worship)

It would be cool to find out what pages TM still has to get a better handle on what is really out there. Someone said he has covers 1-6. Damn I would just love to see his preliminary and concept pages if he had some. :insane: I would even love to have a page he didn't like and put a big X through it.

I thought about cover 1......I would agree it would be "THE GRAIL".

But for some reason in my mind I didn't include what TM was holding.

The things that came to mind were what I have seen in the secondary market or what is suspected to be in private collections. Like the complete issue 100 :cloud9: ............ but yes issue 1 would be a dream. Nowell I'm sure would be fighting some heavy hitters. I wonder why he didn't move on the 19 cover? Gene is one lucky man (worship)

Thanks, James! :blush: (thumbs u

I'm pretty surprised that the WD OA market has been heating up again. When I bought the #19 cover last fall, the overall WD OA market had really been cooling off - there were decent pages on eBay in the summer and fall not getting any love, whereas the market was really robust earlier in the year. I was convinced that the market had peaked (all signs were pointing strongly to it - anyone who thinks otherwise is not remembering correctly), but thought that it might work to my advantage in terms of negotiating a price for the #19 cover, which I wanted regardless of where I thought the overall WD market was going. So, fast forward nearly a year later and I'm as surprised as anyone that the market has caught a bit of a second wind. Though, I guess the rest of the market has stayed strong too, and, by comparison, WD art looks cheap. You can buy a key interior page from the series for $3-4K in most cases (maybe less for the later issues), which doesn't exactly buy you a lot when it comes to, say, vintage Marvel superhero art. So, I can kind of understand the madness. :insane:

Anyway, I'd love to see the #1 cover go to auction. :devil:

Up to $4300 for the Tony Moore page...........with something like an hour to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-Original-Art-10-P15-Charlie-Adlard-Robert-Kirkman-/400791669285

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400791671019?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Approx $660 - $680 doesn't seem like a bad price for early pages from #10 & #11 of the hottest modern comic. Not much going on in the first one though but it has a nice bunch of characters including the complete Grimes family at that time in the story. Was really really tempted to join in seeing as I don't enjoy the idea of owning seperate pencils and inks from this title.