• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Here is a left field Golden Age question how did job numbers work? In the late 40's Timely books instead of having artist/writer information seem to be all done by a small hand full of people with SL or D. The actual number will vary wildly from story to story (some by over 100+). I would obviously assume SL = Stan Lee but in what capacity? Does it designate writer or editor (or both) is their even a list of codes used aggregated somewhere (google was not helpful).

Hi Rick,

What do you think is/are the most underrated pedigree(s) in terms of:

- overall quality?

and/or

- selection of books?

Thanks for your insight and hope all is well!

John

Vancouvers. Folks don't pay enough attention to this ped. Every copy I've ever owned has been a white paged 9.6/9.8

Lost valleys had a great variety and selection of titles, esp 1930s issues. Don't hear folks talk about that ped as much.

What about Palo Altos?

Very nice 1950s ped.

One more Rick- as for quality, are the Central Valleys underrated? Thx again (thumbs u

Not underrated at all. In fact they are applauded for their high level of preservation. There are just so few "key" type books that the ped is not more applauded. But they sold for huge premiums so definitely not underrated imo

(thumbs u

Gator, did many of the Lost Valleys have rusty staples? It seems like I've seen what looked like rust stains on some of them, which must have come from other books in the stacks, when they were up for sale.

Here is a left field Golden Age question how did job numbers work? In the late 40's Timely books instead of having artist/writer information seem to be all done by a small hand full of people with SL or D. The actual number will vary wildly from story to story (some by over 100+). I would obviously assume SL = Stan Lee but in what capacity? Does it designate writer or editor (or both) is their even a list of codes used aggregated somewhere (google was not helpful).

I am not GATor, but...

Job numbers were just an accounting thing. Jobs were assigned by an editor to the writer, the penciller, the letterer, and the inker, and they just needed a way to track them through the various steps -- both for accounting purposes and for job flow.

Some job numbers in fact had the editor's initials -- see SL for Stan Lee or even AG for Archie Goodwin in the later black-and-white magazines -- but don't always assume that Stan or Archie or whomever actually did anything with it other than maybe assign the story.

The job numbers are slightly interesting where you can see stories that may have been finished a couple of years earlier but never printed at the time (for whatever reason). So in an issue of Marvel Tales, you may have C-341, C-361, and C-081.

The job numbers are often listed in various indexing sites (www.comics.org, for example), but they're by no means complete.

I am not GATor, but...

Job numbers were just an accounting thing. Jobs were assigned by an editor to the writer, the penciller, the letterer, and the inker, and they just needed a way to track them through the various steps -- both for accounting purposes and for job flow.

Some job numbers in fact had the editor's initials -- see SL for Stan Lee or even AG for Archie Goodwin in the later black-and-white magazines -- but don't always assume that Stan or Archie or whomever actually did anything with it other than maybe assign the story.

The job numbers are slightly interesting where you can see stories that may have been finished a couple of years earlier but never printed at the time (for whatever reason). So in an issue of Marvel Tales, you may have C-341, C-361, and C-081.

The job numbers are often listed in various indexing sites (www.comics.org, for example), but they're by no means complete.

Sorry I missed question.

Dear Gator,

What is your take on the sudden rise of New Mutants 98, with Deadpool possibly becoming the spiderman/Wolverine of this comic age? Also do you think it will crash, and burn anytime soon?

demand is insatiable. It will level off and then rise again once some movie footage is shown. Only way it pulls back is if the movie flops and demand ceases.

Hey G.A.tor,

Florida Football two-part question:

1)Do you think Will Muschamp will be the Gators head football coach next season?

2)Do you think it is time for the program to move in another direction?

1-unlikely

2-yes, back to the fun and gun...bring back spurier!

While we know of the many pedigree comics that have been around I am curious about one thing...

Back then there were no bags and boards, do we know how these pedigree comics were stored?

My guess is a regular looking filing cabinet.

on shelves, in cedar chests, in barns in cabinets,bedroom shelves... etc...

Hey G.A.tor,

1)Do you think Will Muschamp will be the Gators head football coach next season?

1-unlikely

I think they should move in another direction....about five hundred miles east.

Hey G.A.tor,

1-unlikely

I think they should move in another direction....about five hundred miles east.

hehe

Hey G.A.tor,

1-unlikely

Do you think he would leave the Gamecocks to come back to Florida? hm

Hey G.A.tor,

1-unlikely

Do you think he would leave the Gamecocks to come back to Florida? hm

I talked to his daughter recently. Highly unlikely :cry: