• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Killing Joke spin-off thread: Your Top Ten
2 2

43 posts in this topic

#1: p6 Not critical to the story, but the best/most definitive Bolland shot of the Joker. (hey, it’s my list, not yours!)

#2: p32 Amazing, iconic, and likely the most valuable page in the book.

#3: p31 No Joker, but my favorite scene of the book. Red Hood takes the plunge to escape.

#4: p45 Joke page

#5: p33 Several great shots of Joker and some of the best dialogue of the book as Joker rambles on to you, the reader, about insanity.

#6: p41 Great action scene + Early deconstructionism on the practicality of superhero costumes: Remember the scene in Watchmen where they’re telling a story about the hero who got his cape caught in the revolving door trying to stop a crime and the bad guys shot him in the head? This one reminds me of that.

#7: p35 Action!

#8: p36 Love that acid squirt panel!

#9: p43 D@mn! Toy gun!

#10: p9 Scene always stuck with me. First kill of the Killing Joke.

Honorable mention

p26, p46 and about a dozen others. (I’ll pass on all the gruesome B.Gordon pages)

1. Page 32, iconic

2. Page 41, battle page

3. Page 40, batman through the glass, battle

4. Page 42 Battle

5. Page 45, the joke

6. Page 43, fake gun

7. Page 35, battle

8. Page 36, battle, acid

9. Page 33, maniacal joker 3rd panel

10. page 34, I'm a sucker for the bat mobile

Phase 1: Make a list

Phase 2: Critique everyone else's lists

Phase 3: Start talking about Gene

Phase 1:

Page 32

Page 40

Page 41

Page 45

Page 42

Page 43

Page 35

Page 36

Page 33

Page 6

It's really page 32 and then take your pick from most of #33-46 with a few early pages (#5, 6, 9, 25) thrown in for consideration.

Phase 2:

Seems like there's a general consensus that most of the best pages are from the last 30% of the book.

Phase 3:

149824.jpg.ec950436acd008f5c921f694279f1358.jpg

I have to go with 15 & 16. First appearance of the Bolland Shrimp.

Page 15 is only a cameo; the first full appearance of Bolland Shrimp on page 16 is the one you really want to get. 2c

Cool thread. :) I like the focus on the pages and why. I'm gonna make two lists. The first list, I'm going to assume unlimited budget.

The second list is going to be my "realistic" list for my current budget. :D It is kind of good to know what pages you really appreciate, even if they are in the B category, and hey, it gets some of the pages that folks aren't going to be talking about in the "top 10" as much.

So...

Top 10 (unlimited budget)

Cover (not pictured) ;)

44 (a favorite moment in the whole book, if just for the panel when Joker considers Batman's offer for a single panel - it's nice I at least have the prelim for this)

Okay the more interesting list - KJ on a Shoestring:

4 (A non Joker Joker page. A not even really that much Joker OR Batman, BUT you get the entire speech, which is awesome)

26 (Nice montage page, some great panels)

27 (Not a ton going on, but some nice panels)

10 (1 decent shot of Batman and some Joker monitors, and not much else, but a nice moody page)

1 (Awesome moody page, not a lot to see, but I bet it gets a price bump just for being page 1, so maybe shouldn't even be on this list)

34 (Again, probably shouldn't be on this list because the 2/3rds splash probably amps the value, plus the beginning of Batman/Joker confrontation makes it not cheap)

18 (Hospital page, could be affordable) :)

17 (Ditto, Bullock brings down the value of any page he's on. But obviously some nice panels)

2 (less desirable than 1, even less Batman, love the panel with Two-Face. I might venture to say this could be the cheapest page on this list. Considering replacing with the flashback page that was on Heritage with the Joker reflection in the last panel, but I was thinking this page could be even cheaper)

Finally, page 11. (A butler page! But definitely some Batman/Joker elements on the page. )

1 (Awesome moody page, not a lot to see, but I bet it gets a price bump just for being page 1, so maybe shouldn't even be on this list)

One of the nicest pages in the book to me. I'm not a buyer for any of these - I'm in the minority as someone who didn't spark to the story (either back then or now) - but this is a beautiful set up page

Surprised no one has mentioned page 24.

Great maniacal Joker images, a really signature block of text on that page as well. It's Bolland's Joker encapsulated on a single page.

No need for a top 10 as I'd give my left arm for any of them. All that aside, pg 20 is my all time favorite. Just that one panel with the Joker sitting on his throne of baby dolls. "You're going mad" I tried emailing Mr. Bolland years ago for a commission of that one panel. Had to at least give it a shot.

I think most of us agree that this is a great, memorable story. The pages that strike me most (in order of appearance) are:

Each one is important to me for a different reason, but all are striking images, great dialogue, or both.

Nice idea for a thread!

Ron