• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,908 posts in this topic

A recent pickup from the boards: House of Secrets 81 from 8-9/1969 (Don't know for sure if it's a Silver or Bronze Book). CGC 9.2 with OW/W pages. Contains Jerry Grandenetti art and a Neal Adams cover (surely a winning combination). It's also the first Mystery Format and includes the origin of he House of Secrets. It's the second-highest-graded copy. Been wanting a beautiful copy for many years!

HOS81_zpse6667077.jpg

Here is a copy I picked up on ebay in January for less than 50 bucks. :acclaim:

HoS81cgc90Q_zps277af94f.jpg

Now that's a great Deal!! (worship)

Man. Was there some recent find of bronze horror or something? That issue alone is hard to find in any grade. Congrats, guys. (worship)

:grin: Thanks guys. I've been looking for a VF+/8.5 copy of this comic for over 10 years but the prices were just :insane: whenever I found one for sale. When I saw this copy on ebay and the bid price I was just :o I still get chills looking at it and when I remember what I paid I'm just :whee:

This issue of Unexpected belonged to my brother, who was really too young to be reading stuff like this in the mid-seventies. (The title story is pretty horrific). I really hated what those squirrels did to the dog. We had it around the house for years before he finally let me have it.

The cover has always fascinated me even if it has little to do with the actual story.

Unexpected171.jpg

This issue of Unexpected belonged to my brother, who was really too young to be reading stuff like this in the mid-seventies. (The title story is pretty horrific). I really hated what those squirrels did to the dog. We had it around the house for years before he finally let me have it.

The cover has always fascinated me even if it has little to do with the actual story.

Unexpected171.jpg

What a well loved copy! Great story too. Thanks for sharing. I have recently really gotten into these as well. So much more affordable than Precode horror ( but I enjoy that stuff too).

Seventies horror comics rule! I with I'd thought so as a kid but mostly I picked up superhero comics back then. This was the only comic we had from that era actually purchased off the rack (in a drug store). I don't even know if there were comic shops around in the mid-seventies. If there were, I never heard of them.

Unexpected171.jpg

What a well loved copy! Great story too. Thanks for sharing. I have recently really gotten into these as well. So much more affordable than Precode horror ( but I enjoy that stuff too).

Brad,

Yes, there were definitely shops popping up in the 1970s... Lots of them

I think...... Lots to learn on these boards. Hope you stick around bud!

EDIT: I found a link to a thread about the earliest shops. Here you go:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7889361&fpart=1

Edited by Darth Corgi

Holy cow! Since the late 60s? I can't believe it! I never heard of them until around 1981 I walked into this weird-looking little shop called J and D's with a bunch of cartoon rats with cigars in the windows. I was stunned to find it full of comics!

Thanks for that thread! These boards are great!

Brad,

Yes, there were definitely shops popping up in the 1970s... Lots of them

I think...... Lots to learn on these boards. Hope you stick around bud!

EDIT: I found a link to a thread about the earliest shops. Here you go:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7889361&fpart=1

Love Unexpected! I cut my teeth on Bronze Horror before drifting over to precodes. HOM, HOS, Ghosts were my favorite DCs growing up but also loved Charlton and other publishers as well.

I've been recently looking at them again after all these years. A couple of my favorites...

Unexpected110_zps0d63e2d3.jpg

DCSpecial4_zps89418675.jpg

DCSecial11_zps4c1aa6a4.jpg

That is a whole bunch of great stuff, Jayman. I don't even remember Red Circle being around in the seventies. But maybe the drug store I bought my comics from only carried Marvel, DC, Gold Key, and Harvey.

I think I'd like to get all of those ones you showed!

Here's another changeover from a "friendlier" type horror to full on BA horror.

PS: they are actually reprinting (in black and white) the Gray Morrow stories from this series as backup stories in the current Afterlife With Archie series. :gossip:

First 2 issues "as told by Sabrina..."

ChillingAdventures01_zpsb63a55f5.jpg

ChillingAdventures02_zps4eb8d971.jpg

ChillingAdventuresInSorcery3_zps1a3db02b.jpg

And one of my MOST fav BA Gray Morrow horror covers...

Sorcery6_zpse10f93eb.jpg

Sutton was my favorite at Charlton for sure, but he wasn't the only one I liked. It's strange though, that I have absolutely no memory of Charlton comics when I was a kid, even though they were definitely around. I suppose the drug stores and convenience stores I used to frequent simply didn't carry them.