• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

526 posts in this topic

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

this tec27 9.2 won't go for anymore than 9.0 AC1 did several weeks ago.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

show me some evidence. right now there is none.

:facepalm:

Harvard has insight into everyone's bank accounts/liquidity.

This guy supposedly graduated from the Harvard Business School. Yet in another thread he showed he was ignorant of the fact that China began adopting a market system decades ago.

The rise of the Chinese economy has affected every aspect of business -- from finance to marketing to management to macroeconomics. No one who actually completed the Harvard curriculum would be unaware of this fact.

My suggestion is to ignore this buffoon.

His posting style and attitude reminds me of Harold Fuller.

A bit off topic but all this talk of liquidity and Harvard reminds me of this great scene from Stealing Harvard:

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

This guy supposedly graduated from the Harvard Business School. Yet in another thread he showed he was ignorant of the fact that China began adopting a market system decades ago.

The rise of the Chinese economy has affected every aspect of business -- from finance to marketing to management to macroeconomics. No one who actually completed the Harvard curriculum would be unaware of this fact.

Maybe he did visit Harvards campus once or twice.. Another good possibility is he was in the movie "How High" with method man and redman as a prop. So then technically he did go to Harvard.

Maybe the 9.2 is bangzooms! :baiting:

The story of the year is the grade bumping of major keys....both in terms of actual grade and amount of restoration. The rise in price from 155K to 595K on the restored DT 27 is greed fueled. What can stop this....what has ever stopped making a profit.

It is very important that this record breaking comic book not be a "grade bump" book....

Edited by Mmehdy

The story of the year is the grade bumping of major keys....both in terms of actual grade and amount of restoration. The rise in price from 155K to 595K on the restored DT 27 is greed fueled. What can stop this....what has ever stopped making a profit.

It is very important that this record breaking comic book not be a "grade bump" book....

It's not important at all Mitch

At this stage only asking price has changed. The Market price is as yet undetermined.

At this stage only asking price has changed. The Market price is as yet undetermined.

That doesn't matter to Mitch. lol

It's not important at all Mitch

Bill is correct, it's the number of views that counts.

Mitch, grades can change simply because CGC sees a book differently. Nothing necessarily needs to be done to a book.

What is happening is these books are all vying for position (best, 2nd best, 3rd best, etc). Eventually they will settle into their respective positions.

his posting style and attitude remind me of my little bit of quiet time after the second cup of coffee this morning.

You seem to like Wikipedia links to show folks the error of their ways. In this case, you could slap yourself upside the head with a link to "Non-sequitur"; what you just typed does not follow AT ALL what you just quoted. Absolute nonsense.

....and this. Yup, that's Harvard alright.

Harvard hasn't posted in a while so he likely got a wrist slap :wishluck: for repeatedly making offensive posts (twice today even though his same post got clipped this morning )

One can only hope :)

And I cannot wait until more is revealed on this 9.2! :banana:

This discussion reminded me of a page I think Matt Nelson used to maintain that had scans of every copy of Action 1 and Detective 27 that have ever been made public in the Internet age.

I think it was here > http://www.ccspaper.com/database/best.php < but I have not checked in a couple of years and it seems to be dead link now.

Does anyone remember this page, or know if it is still available at a different address?

Mitch, grades can change simply because CGC sees a book differently. Nothing necessarily needs to be done to a book.

What is happening is these books are all vying for position (best, 2nd best, 3rd best, etc). Eventually they will settle into their respective positions.

Interesting business model....change the standards every 5 years and regrade and regrade . Right now its grade bumping 1 grade and possible 1.2 grades higher. What happens when it it two grades higher....buying at the top is dangerous to say the least. But VC when know what is done to comics today to restore or unrepair to grade bump. Vying for a position does not mean what is occurring is a good and healthy thing.

Ok, you point is we are at the "point of no return". I disagree. One label and the market reduction of paying 10 times for a book that is "untouched" is gonna do it in the long run. The multiple prices need to come down not UP.

Edited by Mmehdy

Interesting business model....change the standards every 5 years and regrade and regrade . Right now its grade bumping 1 grade and possible 1.2 grades higher. What happens when it it two grades higher....buying at the top is dangerous to say the least. But VC when know what is done to comics today to restore or unrepair to grade bump. Vying for a position does not mean what is occurring is a good and healthy thing.

Mitch where have you been the last 10 years? Maybe if you participated in a few threads outside of Action #1's you would have noticed that people have been talking about this since day one.

his posting style and attitude remind me of my little bit of not so quiet time after the second cup of coffee this morning.

Fixed. lol

Mitch where have you been the last 10 years? Maybe if you participated in a few threads outside of Action #1's you would have noticed that people have been talking about this since day one.

At no time has anybody made 2million on a grade bump/ press or whatever. So the book bumped 100 bucks ten years ago... But this trend is deeper, more profitable... And it is just beginning with ga mega keys....the new saying ..."crack and press"...and make 2+ million profit on a single book....it is coming big time.

Edited by Mmehdy

At no time has anybody made 2million on a grade bump/ press or whatever. So the book bumped 100 bucks ten years ago... But this trend is deeper, more profitable... And it is just beginning with ga mega keys....the new saying ..."crack and press"...and make 2+ million profit on a single book....it is coming big time.

I think we saw a near unique opportunity with the action 1. It was a beautiful book initially graded with a couple of removable flaws. Flaws that these days most remove before submitting for grading, thus eliminating the potential for upgrades.

Will folks continue to try to manipulate books into higher slabs, of course. It's human nature. Folks have been trying to improve books for profit as long as even you have been collecting Mitch (restoration was once widely positively accepted as increasing a books value)

However I'm pretty reluctant to think we will ever hear of a 2mil bump on a comic again, it is just not statistically probable.

Ok, you point is we are at the "point of no return". I disagree. One label and the market reduction of paying 10 times for a book that is "untouched" is gonna do it in the long run. The multiple prices need to come down not UP.

I can barely make out what you're saying.