• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

Just so anyone new to the conversation doesn't have to spend 10 minutes finding it . . . :whistle:

that's a lot of big grade jumps, and I think very warranted to bring to peoples attention. It's interesting that he has 1000s of positive feedbacks, so 99.7% of his customers are happy.

Still not a "sales thread" discussion until there is something untoward here though.

Positive feedback on ebay can be deceptive.

For example here's the book that generated his last neutral feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-31-1974-FN-VF-7-0-CR-OW-Pages-Thanos-Appearance-/321476933061?nma=true&si=OUo%252BW1Se1R0q1KVNSbv%252FWxRNLBw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

At 7.0 it's grossly overgraded. Felt pen, colour breaking creases, horizontal rips at the spine. Imagine if Chip listed it for sale here as a 7.0.

If buyers can't grade they're happy, if they can grade they'll realize with a glance that it's not for them or bid appropriately. For the few buyers who miss something or forget to look at the auction picture he can quickly refund and tell them to keep the book. The rare buyer will neg or neut without giving Chip a chance to fix the problem.

I don't have an axe to grind. I don't dislike Chip. I just see another guy who consistently over grades on ebay knowing he can get away with it.

I'd have to guess it's pretty much what it looks like... a seller who knows better giving his books an ebay bump because 'everyone does it', or something to that effect. Not shocking, and not the worst offense we've seen here, but certainly disappointing.

I don't have an axe to grind. I don't dislike Chip. I just see another guy who consistently over grades on ebay knowing he can get away with it.

(thumbs u

The grade is the grade is the grade. Personally, I believe in grading accurately. I don't customize the grade for the particular forum. ;)

isn't that because most of your books are NM or better?

let me rephrase this, it helps when most of your books are NM or better

Like anyone, I've got tons of low to mid-grade books. . . . (but I'm not going to spend time listing them - too much work.) :grin:

From the outside looking in, it seems like the main issue is that Chip gets opinions from the PGM and then adds a grade when he sells the books on eBay (which is understandable since books look better in hand like has been said). But then, when asked about the grade on the board, he claims it's lower than what he has stated on eBay. He advertises his eBay sales on these boards, which means people see it listed as one grade on the links, but then in another thread, the grade is lower.

The grade is the grade is the grade. Personally, I believe in grading accurately. I don't customize the grade for the particular forum. ;)

isn't that because most of your books are NM or better?

let me rephrase this, it helps when most of your books are NM or better

his implication of "inaccuracy" is spurious. Grading will always be subjective. If I grade a book as 9.2, and its actually a 9.9, that's not grading "inaccurately". It's grading conservatively. Grading is ultimately a tolerance level, I grade at Space Shuttle level tolerances :) If others want to grade with lower margins of error, best of luck to them.

Who's "his" are you talking about? lol

Just so anyone new to the conversation doesn't have to spend 10 minutes finding it . . . :whistle:

that's a lot of big grade jumps, and I think very warranted to bring to peoples attention. It's interesting that he has 1000s of positive feedbacks, so 99.7% of his customers are happy.

Still not a "sales thread" discussion until there is something untoward here though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-31-1974-FN-VF-7-0-CR-OW-Pages-Thanos-Appearance-/321476933061?nma=true&si=OUo%252BW1Se1R0q1KVNSbv%252FWxRNLBw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

At 7.0 it's grossly overgraded. Felt pen, colour breaking creases, horizontal rips at the spine. Imagine if Chip listed it for sale here as a 7.0.

If buyers can't grade they're happy, if they can grade they'll realize with a glance that it's not for them or bid appropriately. For the few buyers who miss something or forget to look at the auction picture he can quickly refund and tell them to keep the book. The rare buyer will neg or neut without giving Chip a chance to fix the problem.

I feel that one was probably a 6.0.

I don't understand why a buyer who offers a neutral with this opinion:

"OVER–GRADED. FN/VF does not allow for excessive permanent marker on cover."

Buys a book that looks like this.

149729.jpg.0dac2bcd89f619f077e814249b3fab38.jpg

I feel that one was probably a 6.0.

I don't understand why a buyer who offers a neutral with this opinion:

"OVER–GRADED. FN/VF does not allow for excessive permanent marker on cover."

Buys a book that looks like this.

Buyer probably didn't look at the scan. That book is at best a 4.0 to me. There's quite a bit of felt pen and what appears to be horizontal rips on the spine.

Most concerning to me is that apparently Chip is ignoring this discussion.

I don't know Chip & I probably don't even like him since that "Peace" thing is annoying...but in his defense.

- Boboset hasn't said who "pointed out" the fact that a book being given away at 4.0 was listed on e-bay as a 5.5 - if I was Chip I'd want to know who started it & who is stalking me

- Stating the give-away was a 4.0 could have been for any reason - I suspect what we all suspect is true - BUT IF people are checking out his off-board activities & researching his e-bay listings for a grade discrepancy - isn't it possible that he might regrade it conservatively to avoid getting TGT trolled as has happened in the past when he's put up cruddy offers ( :gossip: they were)

- I will say I don't think Bobo did anything malicious posting here, at worst, he threadkrapped the TGT thread when posting the original link - the unfortunate part of his post is that it's a summary with conclusions & most will take it at face value

- PGM opinions aren't binding on sellers & that is the basis for Boboset's post listing a pattern of grade bumping of books for sale on e-bay - the only problem I have with it is people should be taking his summary with a grain of salt - as RMA correctly pointed out the PGM forums are tight & you can see further evidence of why people do that in this thread where people brag about what tight graders they are :blahblah::eyeroll: and the best way to prove that to potential customers is to grade tight in the PGM threads

-

I don't know Chip & I probably don't even like him since that "Peace" thing is annoying...but in his defense.

- Boboset hasn't said who "pointed out" the fact that a book being given away at 4.0 was listed on e-bay as a 5.5 - if I was Chip I'd want to know who started it & who is stalking me

- Stating the give-away was a 4.0 could have been for any reason - I suspect what we all suspect is true - BUT IF people are checking out his off-board activities & researching his e-bay listings for a grade discrepancy - isn't it possible that he might regrade it conservatively to avoid getting TGT trolled as has happened in the past when he's put up cruddy offers ( :gossip: they were)

- I will say I don't think Bobo did anything malicious posting here, at worst, he threadkrapped the TGT thread when posting the original link - the unfortunate part of his post is that it's a summary with conclusions & most will take it at face value

- PGM opinions aren't binding on sellers & that is the basis for Boboset's post listing a pattern of grade bumping of books for sale on e-bay - the only problem I have with it is people should be taking his summary with a grain of salt - as RMA correctly pointed out the PGM forums are tight & you can see further evidence of why people do that in this thread where people brag about what tight graders they are :blahblah::eyeroll: and the best way to prove that to potential customers is to grade tight in the PGM threads

-

What a crock of bababooey :roflmao:

:jokealert:

I don't know how to say this any clearer:

He's not going to come in and comment. B/c it doesn't matter what he says, the TROLLS will turn his words against him; they always do.

Why would anyone voluntarily step into the firing squad??

I don't know how to say this any clearer:

He's not going to come in and comment. B/c it doesn't matter what he says, the TROLLS will turn his words against him; they always do.

Why would anyone voluntarily step into the firing squad??

who are the TROLLS?