• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

Maybe we could all agree that Cerebus 1 is the cooler comic of the two?

I think, more than anything, that's precisely the thing which people cannot agree upon.

Which is a ridiculous argument, because it's personal preference, and there is no arguing against personal preference.

For the record, since it's been brought up by others, I like BOTH characters equally well...but while I have owned 3-4 Hulk #181s, they always end up for sale.

My Cerebus #1s? I've owned them for closing on 10 years.

I know which book is harder to get.

That's the real problem in this entire thread: people wanting to convince everyone else that Wolverine is a cooler character, which no one has ever disputed. But these people are personally offended that Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181 in 9.2 and above, which is irrational.

Again, cerebus 1 does NOT trade higher than hulk 181 in a 9.2. Throw Overstreet out the door on that my friend. And you have sold your hulk 181's precisely because you could. They are an easy sale when you need the money and if you buy right you can turn in a profit with a short holding period. As others have stated... they are a highly liquid asset.

Cerebus 1.....not so much.

-J.

Oh boy. I can't wait to hear this. Please elaborate, good sir. Last GPA sale in 9.2 was a pedigree copy below $900. As you even mentioned yourself there are a couple of books that trade higher in lower grade that are off the list. If you feel up to it I'd love to hear your logic.

Now you've done it,you're poking the bear. :baiting:

Oakman-Who has a 9.4 and 9.2 IH 181 still thinks Cerebus is a cooler book. lol

Cerebus 1 > Hulk 180 > Hulk 181

:o

hm

I agree with you.I was more jazzed getting my Hulk 180 than the 181's,because I finally had Wolverines 1st appearance. :headbang:

So is Hulk 181 the AF 15 of the BA? If not, what is?

hm

I agree with you.I was more jazzed getting my Hulk 180 than the 181's,because I finally had Wolverines 1st appearance. :headbang:

Hulk 181 and GSX 1 are still the kings,because the market deems them as such.I agree with that,but......

hm

Hulk 181 and GSX 1 are still the kings,because the market deems them as such.I agree with that,but......

Do you agree with me that there was a time when AF 15 was not the number 1 SA book in terms of value?

hm

Do you agree with me that there was a time when AF 15 was not the number 1 SA book in terms of value?

Yes I do agree with you,and tides are always shifting.I remember when Showcase 4 and F.F. 1 were the top dogs.

hm

Yes I do agree with you,and tides are always shifting.I remember when Showcase 4 and F.F. 1 were the top dogs.

Hulk 181 v. Cerebus 1 = AF 15 v. SC 4

(look at how scarce SC 4 is compared to AF 15)

Took some time for AF 15 to get to the top of the SA market - just a matter of time before Hulk 181 takes its place at the top.

hm

Took some time for AF 15 to get to the top of the SA market - just a matter of time before Hulk 181 takes its place at the top.

Isn't it already at the top? I'm not talking that dumb OSPG list,but reality. I'm waiting for the day when Hulk 180 takes it's rightful place as the 1st app. of Wolverine.

hm

Isn't it already at the top? I'm not talking that dumb OSPG list,but reality. I'm waiting for the day when Hulk 180 takes it's rightful place as the 1st app. of Wolverine.

It's already there. The market has just decided to place the greater value on his first full appearance/story/cover. (thumbs u

-J.

Oh boy. I can't wait to hear this. Please elaborate, good sir. Last GPA sale in 9.2 was a pedigree copy below $900. As you even mentioned yourself there are a couple of books that trade higher in lower grade that are off the list. If you feel up to it I'd love to hear your logic.

Now you've done it,you're poking the bear. :baiting:

Oakman-Who has a 9.4 and 9.2 IH 181 still thinks Cerebus is a cooler book. lol

Iron Man 55 & Marvel Preview 7 both more valuable than the 100 Page 5. No emotion at play here, but with the data we have available both these books are more expensive in 9.2. In the case of IM 55 it isn't really all that close. ASM 121 is also gaining rapid momentum as is the Marvel Preview 4.

That last pedigree sale of the 100 Pager is the proverbial nail in the coffin. I don't care about the 9.4's because they are the highest graded copies. To quote the bear himself that isn't comparing apples to apples.

An 8.5 copy of this book recently tanked at $335, but I'm not concerned about that either. I know this book is a dog from a speculative prospective. There is a direct correlation between hits on xvideos and the price decline of 100 Page #5. No reasonable person can argue otherwise!

:sumo:

Again, cerebus 1 does NOT trade higher than hulk 181 in a 9.2.

Except that it does. At least 7 different dealers have testified in this thread that, given the choice, they would take the 9.2 Cerebus over the 9.2 Hulk in a heartbeat. Which means, that they all believe they could sell it for more than the equiv. Hulk.

(And they're right)

Okay, technically, it "would," as we don't have a recent price for it. But I trust the voices of more than half a dozen dealers, whose business is a) profit and b) knowing the market & relative liquidity.

BTW, Wolverine is my favorite character, and the first comic series I ever collected back to the beginning, after buying # 17 off the shelf due to the kickass Byrne cover.

My # 1's signed & personalized to me by Al Williamson, and my # 182's signed & personalized to me by Trimpe. I own zero issues of Cerebus.

(Just some anecdotal context that's irrelevant to the logical debate)

Except that it does. At least 7 different dealers have testified in this thread that, given the choice, they would take the 9.2 Cerebus over the 9.2 Hulk in a heartbeat. Which means, that they all believe they could sell it for more than the equiv. Hulk.

(And they're right)

Okay, technically, it "would," as we don't have a recent price for it. But I trust the voices of more than half a dozen dealers, whose business is a) profit and b) knowing the market & relative liquidity.

BTW, Wolverine is my favorite character, and the first comic series I ever collected back to the beginning, after buying # 17 off the shelf due to the kickass Byrne cover.

My # 1's signed & personalized to me by Al Williamson, and my # 182's signed & personalized to me by Trimpe. I own zero issues of Cerebus.

At this point Jesus himself could step up and say it and jaydog is going to deny it.

He's literally telling some of the biggest comic book dealers in the country that they don't know what they're talking about.

(And they're right)

At this point Jesus himself could step up and say it and jaydog is going to deny it.

He's literally telling some of the biggest comic book dealers in the country that they don't know what they're talking about.

What I believe is hard data and verified sales in the real world. That being the case there is no basis for presuming that a cerebus 1 would would outsell a hulk 181 in a 9.2.

-J.

I've been to about as many shows as any traveling dealer in the past 7 years. I remember seeing around 5 copies of Cerebus 1 regardless of grade. They were all below 9.2. Didn't buy any of them as they price point was higher than what I could justify. My record for buying Hulk 181's is 4 copies in one show alone. So yes I definitely would rate a Cerebus 1 at a higher price point in 9.2 due to scarcity. Although the past 9 months Hulk 181 is giving it a run for its money, primarily due to a better economy and uptick in interest in Bronze-Copper keys.

I've been to about as many shows as any traveling dealer in the past 7 years. I remember seeing around 5 copies of Cerebus 1 regardless of grade. They were all below 9.2. Didn't buy any of them as they price point was higher than what I could justify. My record for buying Hulk 181's is 4 copies in one show alone. So yes I definitely would rate a Cerebus 1 at a higher price point in 9.2 due to scarcity. Although the past 9 months Hulk 181 is giving it a run for its money, primarily due to a better economy and uptick in interest in Bronze-Copper keys.

Good info. Right now it's close to a dead heat. If two 9.2's OWW copies went head to head on ebay, the 181 would be a 1:2 favorite on a 10 day auction. On link or connect, Id give the edge to Cerebus 1 and 181 would be a 6:5 dog. All just my opinions as a fan of both books, comics in general and handicapping.

I think, more than anything, that's precisely the thing which people cannot agree upon.

Which is a ridiculous argument, because it's personal preference, and there is no arguing against personal preference.

For the record, since it's been brought up by others, I like BOTH characters equally well...but while I have owned 3-4 Hulk #181s, they always end up for sale.

That's the real problem in this entire thread: people wanting to convince everyone else that Wolverine is a cooler character, which no one has ever disputed. But these people are personally offended that Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181 in 9.2 and above, which is irrational.

Again, cerebus 1 does NOT trade higher than hulk 181 in a 9.2. Throw Overstreet out the door on that my friend. And you have sold your hulk 181's precisely because you could. They are an easy sale when you need the money and if you buy right you can turn in a profit with a short holding period. As others have stated... they are a highly liquid asset.

Cerebus 1.....not so much.

-J.

I didn't say Cerebus #1 "traded" higher than Hulk #181 in 9.2, because the data doesn't support it. I said it is worth more in 9.2.

And, it is.

The rest of your post is incorrect.

Many more people care about and want IH181.. it is far the more liquid asset.

Not under dispute.