• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

526 posts in this topic

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

this tec27 9.2 won't go for anymore than 9.0 AC1 did several weeks ago.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

show me some evidence. right now there is none.

The list is long and distinguished, much like my johnson

:lol:

There is only one logical explanation for this, someone has created a time machine, traveled back in time, purchased the Detective 27, and returned to our time.

If this is the "Windy City" copy I had a chance to buy this and wanted to but didn't simply because work got in the way and communication with the seller was a little off-putting (I was hearing about it from him as well as from several other people who were telling me of a "better" book which I realized later was actually the same book which they were apparently going to buy from the seller and then resell to me. The prices quoted ranged literally, from 43K to 125K. The guy who actually had it quoted me a price toward the lower side and I was interested but then he sold it without telling me (for a price below what I was prepared to pay). When I asked him why he said that he hadn't paid for the book in full and was worried because he was told by others that "nobody wanted it."

Can't tell you how many times I have heard that the "word" on this book or that was "nobody wants it" only to hear later that "everybody wants it".

Why would there be a Windy City copy of Tec 27? That collection contained only #1 issues.

But it does sound like a story about the "other" high grade Detective 27. And the fact is that it kind of wasn't paid for twice. Jerry originally purchased the book from Geppi and only gave him a 5K deposit. Shortly after this sale the first Sotheby's copy comes to auction and sells for $55K. Of course now Geppi wants to get paid for his much nicer copy (and why shouldn't he?)

Jerry initially didn't have all the money to complete the purchase, so I agreed to buy half of the book for 20K which he could give to Geppi and finish paying for the book. Only Jerry never gives Geppi the money. So now I own half a book that is unpaid for and the original owner is getting upset and I think telling other dealers/collectors not to buy it from us as it's not paid for. I tell Geppi I can't pay him for what's owed on the book when I've already given Jerry 20K, and tell Jerry he needs to get this settled immediately and get Geppi and I both paid. He sells the book for an incredible discount to Oklahoma Dave, pays Geppi and I off and Oklahoma Dave turns around and flips the 27 back to Geppi for $81K and sets a new record price for a book at the same time.

A pretty sour experience all around. :(

Just to be accurate here - there was no copy of Detective 27 in the Windy City collection.

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

:facepalm:

Harvard has insight into everyone's bank accounts/liquidity.

the masses came out a few weeks ago. like I said, interest was soft. Millions of views and only a dozen or so bids.

less than a million views, most certainly the majority of which by collectors just following out an historical auction. every time you hit the ebay page, another view counted. I alone must have accounted for like 10,000 lol

bottom line: get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth.

learn some reason before you pull a strawman out of your on me.

What are you talking about? 964,289 = Millions?

There is only one logical explanation for this, someone has created a time machine, traveled back in time, purchased the Detective 27, and returned to our time.

If this is the "Windy City" copy I had a chance to buy this and wanted to but didn't simply because work got in the way and communication with the seller was a little off-putting (I was hearing about it from him as well as from several other people who were telling me of a "better" book which I realized later was actually the same book which they were apparently going to buy from the seller and then resell to me. The prices quoted ranged literally, from 43K to 125K. The guy who actually had it quoted me a price toward the lower side and I was interested but then he sold it without telling me (for a price below what I was prepared to pay). When I asked him why he said that he hadn't paid for the book in full and was worried because he was told by others that "nobody wanted it."

Can't tell you how many times I have heard that the "word" on this book or that was "nobody wants it" only to hear later that "everybody wants it".

Why would there be a Windy City copy of Tec 27? That collection contained only #1 issues.

But it does sound like a story about the "other" high grade Detective 27. And the fact is that it kind of wasn't paid for twice. Jerry originally purchased the book from Geppi and only gave him a 5K deposit. Shortly after this sale the first Sotheby's copy comes to auction and sells for $55K. Of course now Geppi wants to get paid for his much nicer copy (and why shouldn't he?)

Jerry initially didn't have all the money to complete the purchase, so I agreed to buy half of the book for 20K which he could give to Geppi and finish paying for the book. Only Jerry never gives Geppi the money. So now I own half a book that is unpaid for and the original owner is getting upset and I think telling other dealers/collectors not to buy it from us as it's not paid for. I tell Geppi I can't pay him for what's owed on the book when I've already given Jerry 20K, and tell Jerry he needs to get this settled immediately and get Geppi and I both paid. He sells the book for an incredible discount to Oklahoma Dave, pays Geppi and I off and Oklahoma Dave turns around and flips the 27 back to Geppi for $81K and sets a new record price for a book at the same time.

A pretty sour experience all around. :(

Just to be accurate here - there was no copy of Detective 27 in the Windy City collection.

I thought it said Windy City. Was first offered with a price off 55 but was gone when in inquired. Learned Jerry Jacobs had it and he offered it to me at 65. Jerry evntually told me he had actually agreed to pay 43 (with a down payment) and had to sell it to pay off the balance for a profit of 10K at 53 (which I would have offered immediately except that I thought he'd paid 55).

You really got a man crush on Fishler.

My guess is that there a number of collectors who have the money and inclination to buy Action 1. Two obvious examples who already have pretty good copies: Eric and Jack White.

Eric didn't bid. I don't think he's into comic books now just OA.

He already has a copy, so its no surprise he didn't bid. But, the point remains, there are people in the hobby with deeper pockets than Fishler.

MUCH deeper pockets to be exact

not on this message board and in all reality probably not many more. the big sale was the other week. the guy over at heritage has some deep pockets for million dollar comics, eric roberts and maybe a few others.

My guess is that there a number of collectors who have the money and inclination to buy Action 1. Two obvious examples who already have pretty good copies: Eric and Jack White.

He already has a copy, so its no surprise he didn't bid. But, the point remains, there are people in the hobby with deeper pockets than Fishler.

not on this message board and in all reality probably not many more. the big sale was the other week. the guy over at heritage has some deep pockets for million dollar comics, eric roberts and maybe a few others.

how does being on these boards bear any relevancy to the conversation? Some big guys are on here, sure, but that is a small cross-section of a MUCH larger group. There are many that do not wish to be public as well I would assume.

Several folks here bid on the AC1 9.0. Several others could. And you never know who is out there. Would anyone have suspected that Darren Adams paid seven figures for an AC1 before he disclosed that info? I think not.

Who was it that had this copy on display at Chicago?

I sold it to carbonaro so it was he who had it on display. And at sdcc too...and heroes con.

Which book are we talking about?

the restored 9.4 that was a restored 9.2

It was at Carbonaro's booth. Here is my iPhone pic.

Detective27CGC94.jpg

And a fairly lousy but still mostly legible blow-up of the label. Rick, did you ever see the Kane auto on the first page?

Detective27CGC94label.jpg

amazing - whats the price tag on this ...

Who was it that had this copy on display at Chicago?

I sold it to carbonaro so it was he who had it on display. And at sdcc too...and heroes con.

Which book are we talking about?

the restored 9.4 that was a restored 9.2

It was at Carbonaro's booth. Here is my iPhone pic.

Detective27CGC94.jpg

And a fairly lousy but still mostly legible blow-up of the label. Rick, did you ever see the Kane auto on the first page?

Detective27CGC94label.jpg

amazing - whats the price tag on this ...

He was asking 500k in Chicago.

detective-27.jpg

And here's some more info about the missing book.

I don't want to perpetuate a rumor but that is a pretty sharp looking 8.0. I realize that the scan is small and we see no back cover but man, that is bright.

If this is yet another instance where CGC delayed reporting a book in their census as part of a request from the submitter I will be more than simply disappointed concerning the ethics of a third party grader that then pretends to offer an impartial grading service.

In defense of CGC, the reason this is now on the census could be because of the negative reaction to the Action 1 census revelation. There has been no formal announcement that I have seen, but the rumor is that CGC has changed their policy in regards to this.

If the book goes from an 8.0(pre-press/spine repair etc) which a market value of say 1.25...up 200K from the ha sale...now it is graded 9.2 and the price goes to 3.2 mil plus. or over 2 million price increase...the reward to alter a KEY GA book has NEVER BEEN GREATER...let the upgrades and the floodgates begin.

Let the floodgates open? Is it 2001 again?

I'm 45. I consider this tec27 cgc 9.2 *much more* desirable than the action 1 cgc 9.0

sorry ... (shrug)

51 and +1

50 and -1

42 and -1

39 and +1

48 and -1

+1 (that is for 48 and -1)

44 and -1

While there will be times when a Tec #27 will sell for more (Batmania or the week the $1MIL mystical barrier was broken), toe to toe, eye to eye, identical circumstances, I think Action #1 would have a slight edge every time and will continue to do so.

You'd be surprised Jason

:facepalm:

Harvard has insight into everyone's bank accounts/liquidity.

This guy supposedly graduated from the Harvard Business School. Yet in another thread he showed he was ignorant of the fact that China began adopting a market system decades ago.

The rise of the Chinese economy has affected every aspect of business -- from finance to marketing to management to macroeconomics. No one who actually completed the Harvard curriculum would be unaware of this fact.

My suggestion is to ignore this buffoon.

a little too coincidental that this shows up post the 3.2M sale. I think it's been decided it's going to auction and that's why it was cgc graded. my question is where will it be auctioned

You know what I think is coincidental to the point of ridiculous ?

If this is yet another instance where CGC delayed reporting a book in their census as part of a request from the submitter I will be more than simply disappointed concerning the ethics of a third party grader that then pretends to offer an impartial grading service.

If the high rollers get special favors from CGC, no matter what those favors are, that we 'common folk' receive then CGC is not impartial. Where do the favors end?

Where did it come out that this book was held back. It easily could have been graded in Chicago.

Possible, only I don't CGC has updated the census since onsite grading in Chicago.

a little too coincidental that this shows up post the 3.2M sale. I think it's been decided it's going to auction and that's why it was cgc graded. my question is where will it be auctioned

You know what I think is coincidental to the point of ridiculous ?

If the high rollers get special favors from CGC, no matter what those favors are, that we 'common folk' receive then CGC is not impartial. Where do the favors end?

Where did it come out that this book was held back. It easily could have been graded in Chicago.

Possible, only I don't CGC has updated the census since onsite grading in Chicago.

Ah, that I did not know.