• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

Okay I follow you. You're basically theorizing that once a particular book has the wind in its back the "law of motion" kicks in and the rest is history....

I have no doubt that this can certainly happen and has been (is) happening with plenty of books, I'm not so sure I would put hulk 181 under that umbrella. Wolverine is quite simply the number 4 character in all of comics-dom and certainly the hugest single character to come out of the bronze age. This book is considered a grail by many Gen Y-ers that I know, and

I know numerous millenials who are talking about his upcoming "death" not to mention how great DOFP was.

Wolverine is pretty entrenched at this point in time. All things being equal I would not even have "price variants" and small indy releases on the same list. Regardless of how much they may or may not be "worth", the play in a different playground, they are not mainstream releases. And GL 76 has been dormant for years (thanks Ryan Reynolds). Hulk 181 is by far the most far reachingly influential and important book of the BA, a true blue chip book and a pillar of the hobby.

And yes I'm also a fan. :headbang:

-J.

Okay, I guess I disagree with Wolverine being the 4th biggest superhero character in comicdom. But that is okay, because these are just opinions.

Wolverine is definitely a top 10 superhero character in my mind, but I would go with:

Batman

Superman

Spiderman

Hulk

Captain America

Wolverine

Iron Man

Flash

Green Lantern

Thor

If you told me Wolverine was the top superhero character introduced in the Bronze Age, I would absolute agree. But any such list is very subjective to personal taste, just as the above list is subjective. I imagine a Punisher fan might list the Punisher higher. Or a Swamp Thing fan would list that character higher. I look at the list this way, if I was able to afford the first appearance of any superhero character, which character would I want first, second, etc.? That is how I ranked the above list. It's not based on the value of the comic, but the order of importance I would place on acquiring that character's first appearance.

Personally, I have no desire to acquire any book on that list at current market values (IH 181 is the only 1st appearance I have on that list, but it is a very common book. I wouldn't buy a copy today at today's prices.) First of all, I don't have the financial means, and second, I do not value the superheroes as highly as I value other genres.

In my area of interest, this would be my top 5 character list:

Flash Gordon

Buck Rogers

Adam Strange

Magnus Robot Fighter

Kamandi

A top 5 property list would include:

Star Wars

Space Family Robinson

Planet of the Apes

Battlestar Galactica

Star Trek

It's a good thing Overstreet doesn't list these things according to personal preference. I would imagine many characters people would agree on, but other characters would be a harder sell.

I can't imagine Thor being at the bottom of any list. :makepoint:

Here's my list

Superman-C'mon it's F-ing Superman

Batman

Spider-man

Hulk

Captain America

Thor

Green Lantern

Iron Man

Flash

Wolverine

It's a good thing I didn't go with my original list then. :) I had Wonder Woman at 10 and Thor at 11, but decided I'd rather have Thor's 1st appearance over Wonder Woman's.

When I was a kid, Thor was my favorite superhero character and my gateway title into the Marvel Universe. Three short years after I started picking up Thor, Walt Simonson came in and introduced Beta Ray Bill. Incredible stuff!

Not at all. Perhaps it's just one's approach ?

What Chuck said.

To which I would add: "perhaps it's perception based on personal feeling, by the exposure of irrational premises", illustrated below:

"Cerebus #1 is worth more than Hulk #181 in certain grades."

"WHAT??!!!????!!?!?!?! Hulk #181 is the BESTEST BOOK OF ALL TIME, how DARE anything be worth more than it is??????"

"The facts clearly show that it is."

"You're just an A-HOLE who is JEALOUS, so I'm going to purposely read into your posts a condescending, braggadocious attitude, because I don't like you challenging my feelings!"

"Feel free."

I dunno, that's what I see. I could be wrong.

Confidence is often perceived as arrogance by the unconfident.

To which I would add, "your opinion is noted ad infinitum." :applause:

I suspect that means nail met hammer right on its head.

:popcorn:

Your head?

Sure, let's go with that.

Would this be a good time to point out that the latest CGC 9.4 sale of Hulk 181 (i.e., from three days ago) was a whopping $2,800?

As in, less than the 90-day average, 12-month average, and 2013 average?

Now, I'll admit it's an outlier, but even if so, it reinforces the extent to which the much-trumpeted CGC 9.2 $3,200 sale is just as much of an outlier (but on the high side).

Either way, it shows both the pricing volatility of such a common book and the folly of trying to build a valuation argument based on one extreme sale.

Again, within a three-week period we have verified GPA reported sales of Hulk 181 9.2 for $3,200 and a 9.4 for $2,800.

Quick, let's all arbitrarily pick one or the other to argue our opinion!

No. That really is just a terrible comparison.

Low feedback seller and a high jacked account. In other words, scam listing. GPA has been alerted.

You get those a lot with hot books.

The comiclink listing for the cerebus 1 meanwhile really does just represent an apathetic buying public.

Thanks for playing. (thumbs u

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-Graded-9-4-NO-RESERVE-3000-OR-BEST-OFFER-/111446217882?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f2b6549a

-J.

Qualify, qualify, qualify...

Would this be a good time to point out that the latest CGC 9.4 sale of Hulk 181 (i.e., from three days ago) was a whopping $2,800?

As in, less than the 90-day average, 12-month average, and 2013 average?

Now, I'll admit it's an outlier, but even if so, it reinforces the extent to which the much-trumpeted CGC 9.2 $3,200 sale is just as much of an outlier (but on the high side).

Either way, it shows both the pricing volatility of such a common book and the folly of trying to build a valuation argument based on one extreme sale.

Again, within a three-week period we have verified GPA reported sales of Hulk 181 9.2 for $3,200 and a 9.4 for $2,800.

Quick, let's all arbitrarily pick one or the other to argue our opinion!

No. That really is just a terrible comparison.

Low feedback seller and a high jacked account. In other words, scam listing. GPA has been alerted.

You get those a lot with hot books.

The comiclink listing for the cerebus 1 meanwhile really does just represent an apathetic buying public.

Thanks for playing. (thumbs u

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-Graded-9-4-NO-RESERVE-3000-OR-BEST-OFFER-/111446217882?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f2b6549a

-J.

Qualify, qualify, qualify...

Yeah well. GPA flagged it and removed it from its data, so....there ya go.

-J.

Last fall Overstreet sent me a form to fill out with Top 10 Bronze Age books NM- prices, they wanted it return by the end of November 2013. This is part of being and advisor, I assume they sent it out to all advisors. I just found my notes and this was my suggested prices for the top 10 Bronze books.

Star Wars 1 35 cent $5,000.00

Green Lantern 76 $2,200.00

Iron Fist 14 35 cent $5,000.00

Hulk 181 $2,000.00

Cerebus 1 $2,500.00

Giant X-Men 1 $1,200.00

X-Men 94 $1,000.00

House of Secrets #92 1,200.00

DC 100 Page #5 $900.00

Amazing Spidy 129 $900.00

Blame it on me that Cerebus jumped Hulk 181.

Last fall Overstreet sent me a form to fill out with Top 10 Bronze Age books NM- prices, they wanted it return by the end of November 2013. This is part of being and advisor, I assume they sent it out to all advisors. I just found my notes and this was my suggested prices for the top 10 Bronze books.

Hulk 181 $2,000.00

Cerebus 1 $2,500.00

Giant X-Men 1 $1,200.00

X-Men 94 $1,000.00

DC 100 Page #5 $900.00

I want what you're smokin' Top Notch! :devil: In all seriousness thanks for posting that, it's interesting to get even a small peak under the Overstreet hood.

-J.

Hulk 181 $2,000.00

Cerebus 1 $2,500.00

Giant X-Men 1 $1,200.00

X-Men 94 $1,000.00

DC 100 Page #5 $900.00

:cloud9:

Maybe we could all agree that Cerebus 1 is the cooler comic of the two?

I think, more than anything, that's precisely the thing which people cannot agree upon.

Which is a ridiculous argument, because it's personal preference, and there is no arguing against personal preference.

For the record, since it's been brought up by others, I like BOTH characters equally well...but while I have owned 3-4 Hulk #181s, they always end up for sale.

My Cerebus #1s? I've owned them for closing on 10 years.

I know which book is harder to get.

That's the real problem in this entire thread: people wanting to convince everyone else that Wolverine is a cooler character, which no one has ever disputed. But these people are personally offended that Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181 in 9.2 and above, which is irrational.

Maybe we could all agree that Cerebus 1 is the cooler comic of the two?

I think, more than anything, that's precisely the thing which people cannot agree upon.

Which is a ridiculous argument, because it's personal preference, and there is no arguing against personal preference.

For the record, since it's been brought up by others, I like BOTH characters equally well...but while I have owned 3-4 Hulk #181s, they always end up for sale.

My Cerebus #1s? I've owned them for closing on 10 years.

I know which book is harder to get.

That's the real problem in this entire thread: people wanting to convince everyone else that Wolverine is a cooler character, which no one has ever disputed. But these people are personally offended that Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181 in 9.2 and above, which is irrational.

Many more people care about and want IH181.. it is far the more liquid asset.