• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

San Diego Is In!

I submitted 5 books in San Diego, Modern fast track. I got them back on Monday, so it took only about a month. Frankly, I'm shocked (and very happy) they came back so fast. Thanks CGC!

All of them are SS. Three are by Joe Benitez. I bought them from his table in Artists Avenue. The first is the Lady Mechanika ashcan. Unfortunately he only had about a dozen to pick through. All had printing flaws (mostly rough edges where white showed through), and printing flaws don't affect the grade (from what I understand). This one came back 9.6. I was hoping for 9.8 but I guess at some point CGC does have to ding a book for too many flaws, even if they were due to the printing process. My goal is 9.8 for this book, so I guess the search continues.

SSLadyMechanikaMysteriesAshcan15_zps7caf917e.jpg

Joe was offering his advance ready copy (ARC) of Lady Mechanika #4. Joe brought along 2 boxes of the #4, and he was kind and patient enough to let me pick through all of them (and I have to thank the CGC witness for his patience too!). I finally picked out 2 and submitted both. I was pessimistic about the grade through. Both had flaws around the staples, where it looks like the staple pushed the cover up (but there's no color break). On the long walk back from Joe's table to the CGC booth, the CGC witness assured me the books wouldn't take a hit as they were clearly printing flaws. I wasn't so optimistic. But the CGC witness was right! Both came back 9.8! Here's one of them. I'll probably sell the other. If you're interested PM me and maybe we can work something out. (One note -- Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I didn't buy a copy to read! I'm dying to know what happens in #4!)

SSLadyMechanika4ARC10_zps1d1bb17a.jpg

The other two are by Franchesco. He's become one of my favorite modern GGA artists, and he's about the nicest person you could meet. These books are his 2013 and 2014 sketch books. They're the limited editions and go for $50 each, but after we shared a few laughs he let me have them for $25 each (as I said, he's incredibly nice and approachable). I wanted to submit to CGC but the problem was, he only had a handful of each to select from (maybe 5 each). But luckily, both came back 9.8. So, four 9.8s and one 9.6 -- a great haul from SDCC!

By the way, I think 2014 will be my last San Diego Comic Con. When I reflect back, I had alot more fun at WW Chicago last summer. It's a better con for comics, much less crowded, less expensive, way less hassle. If you're a comic collector, SDCC is not nearly as much fun as other cons.

ArtofFranchesco2013Regal25_zps45644a9f.jpg

df6c1b8d-4a82-4557-a807-628a4f0d62c5_zps61c9080d.jpg

Major Grail !!! Bone #1 CGC 9.6

Wow, I can’t believe I own this! I won it last night in the Comic Connect auction. My winning bid was $1272. I was willing to go a little higher; the good thing about C-Connect’s extending time feature is you can always raise your bid if someone goes higher (although for the most part I hate this feature). Not much activity at the end. I was sweating bullets the last 2 minutes as I really didn’t want to bid higher.

Last GPA sale was $1500 in February. Okay, that makes me feel good to get it at $1272. But in January there were two sales at $1000 and $1050. Over the last 2-3 years the book has fluctuated in this range, from about $1000 to $1600. I’m astonished the book has sold for as low as $1000 (or thereabouts). I’m sure the buyers are turning cartwheels, but I cannot believe a seller would sell for that low amount.

As an aside, I’m really shocked people sell moderns on C-Link or C-Connect. They’re not the best venues for moderns, as I think they get lost among all the gold and silver. I’ve repeatedly gotten really good deals on C-Link and C-Connect. If I wanted to sell Bone #1 (or another high value modern), I’d either sell here on the boards or on eBay with a starting bid I’d be willing to live with. The only exception would be super hot books like Walking Dead #1.

Anyway, back to Bone #1. This is a hard book to find. I’ve been actively shopping for this for a while. On eBay right now there’s a 9.8Q for $5000 (egad!) and a 9.6 blue for $2500. But you don’t see it often. At shows they tend to be mid-grade raws, and expensive (north of $1000).

There are 27 9.6s (universals) on the census. No 10s, only 5 9.8s. I think most are in private collections, never to see the light of day. It’d take a lot for me to ever consider selling mine.

Interestingly, no 9.6 or 9.8 yellows (the highest yellow is 9.4). I’m already struggling about whether to crack the slab to get Jeff Smith’s signature. My initial thought is I won't. More likely I'll try to get him to sign a different issue with less risk, like #2 (the first appearance of Thorn).

I’ve had a couple of near misses this year. In January a boardie offered me a CGC 8.0 for $500. I decided to pass as I wanted a higher grade book.

In April I almost bought a CGC 9.4 from another boardie. He wanted $900, I was only willing to go $850. His offer was tempting, but I couldn’t get my head around that last $50 for a 9.4, I wanted a 9.6 or 9.8. If I was going to settle for a 9.4 I wanted a really good deal.

So I’m really happy to have this comic. Bone is special to me. For one I think the story’s great, one of the all-time greatest comics. But even more importantly, it’s something I’ve shared with my kids. All kids read Bone nowadays in school. My oldest daughter and son both really like it so it’s something I’ve been able to share with them. My daughter just started college last week (our first to go to college), so this shared experience is even more important to me.

Bone1CGC961272_zps248680a1.jpg

Going to Baltimore for On-Site Grading

As I write this Baltimore Comicon is only 6 days away. I’m going for the first time. The main reason I’m going is because CGC is offering on-site grading. I discovered the wonder of on-site at WW Philly earlier this summer. I won’t say it changed my life … but if not for on-site grading I would not be going to this con. (I’m sure I’m not the only person who feels this way. I wonder if cons give CGC a financial incentive to do on-site grading?)

Here’s the price schedule for on-site grading:

• Modern $25 (versus Regular $18 / fast track $28; limited to 1980 to present)

• Economy $50 (regular $35 / fast track $46)

• Value on-site not available (regular $25 / fast track $35; 15 book minimum)

• Standard $85 (regular $60 / fast track n/a)

Clearly if you’re thinking about going FT for either Modern or Economy, then on-site is the better option. Personally I focus my on-site submissions on Modern. I've never used Economy. For books older than 1980, I use Value where on-site is not offered. For expensive books where you can't use Value, I use my 4 yearly membership coupons.

Right now I have around 17 Modern comics to submit on-site in Baltimore. I say "around" because I'm still trying to decide for some books. I might have a few more or less.

I also have around 23 books to submit via Value. I haven’t decided whether to submit fast track or normal. I might submit 15 fast track, and then hold the rest for my next Value submission.

Other than those CGC submissions, I don’t have a lot of collecting goals for Baltimore. I’m planning to take Friday afternoon off so I can be close to the front of the line to get my on-site books submitted to CGC (since this is the main reason I’m going to the con I don’t want on-site to fill up, although I doubt that will happen on Friday).

I’ll browse the dealer’s room on Friday but I’m not looking to buy a lot. Frankly I think I get better selection/deals via these boards and eBay (as well as c-connect and c-link). There are a few new comics I'm hoping to pick up. Depending on the condition, I might submit them via on-site (if it's still available).

On Saturday I’m taking my daughter. She's really into anime and wants to cosplay, so I’ll hang out with her (if she’ll let me). I'm hoping she won't get bored. She's never been to a comic con, only anime/manga cons, so I hope she finds enough to do. If she does get into the comic con then it'll really be great because I'll be able to take her to the cons I go to. It might be a reason to try for SDCC tickets next year (otherwise I'll probably be avoiding SDCC since it's so expensive and such a hassle to go to).

And then on Sunday I’ll shoot up to the con first thing to see if my on-sites are done; they should be, but if not I’ll have them mail them to me. I want to be home early because, for some reason, kickoff for the Redskins game is noon.

Anyway, I also hope to take pictures of cosplayers and dealer walls. I’ll post them here in my con report.

Wow, I can’t believe I own this! I won it last night in the Comic Connect auction. My winning bid was $1272. I was willing to go a little higher; the good thing about C-Connect’s extending time feature is you can always raise your bid if someone goes higher (although for the most part I hate this feature). Not much activity at the end. I was sweating bullets the last 2 minutes as I really didn’t want to bid higher.

Last GPA sale was $1500 in February. Okay, that makes me feel good to get it at $1272. But in January there were two sales at $1000 and $1050. Over the last 2-3 years the book has fluctuated in this range, from about $1000 to $1600. I’m astonished the book has sold for as low as $1000 (or thereabouts). I’m sure the buyers are turning cartwheels, but I cannot believe a seller would sell for that low amount.

As an aside, I’m really shocked people sell moderns on C-Link or C-Connect. They’re not the best venues for moderns, as I think they get lost among all the gold and silver. I’ve repeatedly gotten really good deals on C-Link and C-Connect. If I wanted to sell Bone #1 (or another high value modern), I’d either sell here on the boards or on eBay with a starting bid I’d be willing to live with. The only exception would be super hot books like Walking Dead #1.

Anyway, back to Bone #1. This is a hard book to find. I’ve been actively shopping for this for a while. On eBay right now there’s a 9.8Q for $5000 (egad!) and a 9.6 blue for $2500. But you don’t see it often. At shows they tend to be mid-grade raws, and expensive (north of $1000).

There are 27 9.6s (universals) on the census. No 10s, only 5 9.8s. I think most are in private collections, never to see the light of day. It’d take a lot for me to ever consider selling mine.

Interestingly, no 9.6 or 9.8 yellows (the highest yellow is 9.4). I’m already struggling about whether to crack the slab to get Jeff Smith’s signature. My initial thought is I won't. More likely I'll try to get him to sign a different issue with less risk, like #2 (the first appearance of Thorn).

I’ve had a couple of near misses this year. In January a boardie offered me a CGC 8.0 for $500. I decided to pass as I wanted a higher grade book.

In April I almost bought a CGC 9.4 from another boardie. He wanted $900, I was only willing to go $850. His offer was tempting, but I couldn’t get my head around that last $50 for a 9.4, I wanted a 9.6 or 9.8. If I was going to settle for a 9.4 I wanted a really good deal.

So I’m really happy to have this comic. Bone is special to me. For one I think the story’s great, one of the all-time greatest comics. But even more importantly, it’s something I’ve shared with my kids. All kids read Bone nowadays in school. My oldest daughter and son both really like it so it’s something I’ve been able to share with them. My daughter just started college last week (our first to go to college), so this shared experience is even more important to me.

:applause::cloud9:

I'm right there with ya. And yep, you can cross my 9.8 off the list of potential sellers. Staying right in my private collection for a looooong time, I'm afraid. :shy:

Going to Baltimore for On-Site Grading

As I write this Baltimore Comicon is only 6 days away. I’m going for the first time. The main reason I’m going is because CGC is offering on-site grading. I discovered the wonder of on-site at WW Philly earlier this summer. I won’t say it changed my life … but if not for on-site grading I would not be going to this con. (I’m sure I’m not the only person who feels this way. I wonder if cons give CGC a financial incentive to do on-site grading?)

Here’s the price schedule for on-site grading:

• Modern $25 (versus Regular $18 / fast track $28; limited to 1980 to present)

• Economy $50 (regular $35 / fast track $46)

• Value on-site not available (regular $25 / fast track $35; 15 book minimum)

• Standard $85 (regular $60 / fast track n/a)

Clearly if you’re thinking about going FT for either Modern or Economy, then on-site is the better option. Personally I focus my on-site submissions on Modern. I've never used Economy. For books older than 1980, I use Value where on-site is not offered. For expensive books where you can't use Value, I use my 4 yearly membership coupons.

Right now I have around 17 Modern comics to submit on-site in Baltimore. I say "around" because I'm still trying to decide for some books. I might have a few more or less.

I also have around 23 books to submit via Value. I haven’t decided whether to submit fast track or normal. I might submit 15 fast track, and then hold the rest for my next Value submission.

Other than those CGC submissions, I don’t have a lot of collecting goals for Baltimore. I’m planning to take Friday afternoon off so I can be close to the front of the line to get my on-site books submitted to CGC (since this is the main reason I’m going to the con I don’t want on-site to fill up, although I doubt that will happen on Friday).

I’ll browse the dealer’s room on Friday but I’m not looking to buy a lot. Frankly I think I get better selection/deals via these boards and eBay (as well as c-connect and c-link). There are a few new comics I'm hoping to pick up. Depending on the condition, I might submit them via on-site (if it's still available).

On Saturday I’m taking my daughter. She's really into anime and wants to cosplay, so I’ll hang out with her (if she’ll let me). I'm hoping she won't get bored. She's never been to a comic con, only anime/manga cons, so I hope she finds enough to do. If she does get into the comic con then it'll really be great because I'll be able to take her to the cons I go to. It might be a reason to try for SDCC tickets next year (otherwise I'll probably be avoiding SDCC since it's so expensive and such a hassle to go to).

And then on Sunday I’ll shoot up to the con first thing to see if my on-sites are done; they should be, but if not I’ll have them mail them to me. I want to be home early because, for some reason, kickoff for the Redskins game is noon.

Anyway, I also hope to take pictures of cosplayers and dealer walls. I’ll post them here in my con report.

Oh, that's interesting. Didn't realize they would be doing on-site grading. I've never done that before. Could you clarify a couple things? It sounds like they only have a limited number of books they will accept each day? altogether? And then I have to go back on Sunday to pick them up? So it's not a situation where I drop them off in the morning and pick them up at close that day?

Hi dane323,

I think they cap it each day so people who only go Saturday (for example) have a chance at on-site if they submit early enough. They have less capacity though the farther you get into the con (which makes sense).

If you submit really early, they will probably have the books ready before the end of the con. If you're not there to pickup, or if they're not ready by the end of the con, they ship them to you.

Hi dane323,

I think they cap it each day so people who only go Saturday (for example) have a chance at on-site if they submit early enough. They have less capacity though the farther you get into the con (which makes sense).

If you submit really early, they will probably have the books ready before the end of the con. If you're not there to pickup, or if they're not ready by the end of the con, they ship them to you.

Hmm, ok, interesting. Might not matter for me if I don't get back there on Sunday. But if I go, I'll definitely try to submit a few books for on-site. Thanks!

Going to Baltimore for On-Site Grading - Part 2

Decisons, decisions!

There's a book I want for one of my sets, and I'm trying to get a 9.8. Leading up to Baltimore I bought 3 copies off eBay. None of them are strong 9.8 candidates, but I planned to chance it and submit the best 2. I figured I could try to flip them if thet came in at 9.4 or 9.6 and at least get the cost of the comic + grading back.

But now the current Comic Link auction has the book I want in CGC 9.8. What do I do? The hammer price will be more than I want to pay, most likely. And the auction won't end until after the con.

After thinking about it, I think I've decided to go for the C-Link book. I'll have to pay more than I want, but I figure I can at least go $50 more than what I'd normally bid (i.e., the cost of on-site grading for 2 books). I might eventually submit the 2 books the normal way and try to sell them to make up some of my costs.

Quick update: I'll probably be watching other sales for a while, I can't help it given how much I spent on the book. This one just sold on Heritage for $1123 (including BP). Qualified 9.4 from the Don and Maggie Thompson collection. I like the Thompsons (I remember Don's writings with alot of fondness) but I personally would not pay more for this pedigree. Can't wait to get my book from CC.

lf_zps84dea8c5.jpg

That Bone is one sweet book! Awesome! :headbang:

As far as Baltimore goes, I hear it's actually a great show because it seems to be more about comics than pulp culture. You should be able to find some awesome deals. Keep us posted.

This is why I can't save for Baltimore Con

I saw this on eBay last night, an autograph photo of Shatner and Nimoy authenticated by CGC. I lost out on a similar auction last month. Afterwards I did some research and realized I should have bid higher. The only place I can think of to get Shatner and Nimoy's signature is a Wizard World Con. A VIP Shatner badge is $275. Both a Shatner and Nimoy experience would probably be at least $400 and maybe $500.

I won this photo for a lot less than just the Shatner price. Which confirms what I've always thought, that autograph ops at WW cons are fun and great for collectors and fans, but they are lousy investments. So get them for fun, not to flip!

It amazes me the quantity and quality of great things for sale. There are so many outlets. As Baltimore approaches I'm pretty sure my biggest financial outlays will be the grading I'm submitting to CGC. I've spent too much lately on eBay and on these boards, I think in Baltimore I'll mostly be taking pictures and hitting the dollar boxes.

SS-pShatnerandNimoy170_zpscf1ae851.jpg

Baltimore Con - Friday

Just a brief report. I got to the con around 11am, 2 hours before the opening at 1pm. There were people there but no where as crowded as SDCC or even WW Philly. I went to get my wrist badge and it was then I found out they were offering VIP tickets -- $149 (VIP) vs $55 (general). I thought about upgrading. The biggest benefit was getting in an hour early all 3 days. But ultimately decided not to do it.

They let us in early at 1250, and I thought "Ha! I made the right decision! I'd be pissed if I spent extra for VIP and here all of us cheap seats are getting in early!"

(Some people are so clueless. I'm with a group of about 300 people who waited in line for 2 hours, sitting on the floor. Other people hung out in other parts of the convention center which is fine. But they weren't in the official line. So one guy -- who clearly has been sitting in a nice sofa -- I know this because we pass him as the line moves to the con door -- he tries to join our line. To his credit, the con staffer stops him and says "sorry sir, these people have been waiting in line 2 hours, they get in before you." I mean, what kind of person must that guy be to have to be told that?!)

I went straight to the CGC booth to submit my on-sites but I took my time. I didn't rush over because I remembered in Philly the CGC booth wasn't crowded except for about the first 10 minutes of opening day.

Well guess what? I finally make it to the CGC booth about 15 minutes after opening and there's a long line. I see 2 people and they are submitting long boxes of on-sites. Long boxes! Another guy is submitting a short box of Valiants (must be working on his set?)

Then, the CGC staffers start looking nervous. There's rumbling in the line that onsite is filling up. One CGC staffer asks everyone "who's submitting on-site?" Almost the entire line raises their hand.

The line doesn't move. The people in front are submitting tons of books! And -- THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY -- people ahead of me in the line do not move up when the next person is served. They just meekly stand in place. What the heck? Come on people, be assertive, you're in Washington DC now!

Is this possible? It's only 30 minutes into the con could they really close on-site? The main reason I'm at the con is for the freaking on-site. I start regretting not upgrading to VIP. That's what I get for making fun of the VIPs.

But thankfully I do get my on-site submission in (not a long or even a short box, just 17 moderns). Whew! Gemma checks me in, which is a nice coincidence as we exchanged emails last month about re-subbing a book to get an updated label and she remembers. Gemma tells me they ARE getting alot of on-sites and they will probably close for on-sites this afternoon (except for a few SS they'll hold back each day).

Wow ... in WW Philly they didn't close on-sites until (I think) Saturday (and the con opened Thursday, so 3 days afer opening). Here they fill up the first day? Although it makes sense I guess, Baltimore is a comic con and WW Philly is more a media con.

(Wouldn't it be possible for CGC to limit people to 50 on-site books or so? You can get in line as often as you want, but each time you can only submit 50 books. Seems like that would give everyone a chance.)

As for what I got today ... I wasn't expecting to do much, just go through dollar boxes as I've spent alot lately. But holy cow, the selection and prices, I couldn't let these deals go by ... I think I picked up 5-6 grails! I'll post more tomorrow.

Edited by n2wdw

Hmm lets see:

1st time Baltimore comicon has expanded to 3-days

1st time CGC is accepting onsite grading in Baltimore which is very close to a TON of collectors and comic shops

Baltimore is considered to be one of the largest last Cons focused primarily on Comics

Baltimore is in a densely populated section of the North East with DC and Virginia directly to the south and Maryland, NYC, NJ and Delaware, and Philly just to the north

And CGC wasn't expecting so much onsite volume because?

Baltimore opened the flood gates by adding a 3rd day. Tomorrow will be insane.

I got in late today so I missed out on everything you mentioned. Does sound stupid about the VIP option. Today allowed many of us to come in and grab some early deals as well as pay full price for first crack at the quality. I heard some booths doing really well and others not so much. Prices were higher than expected to be on Sunday but dealers were willing to deal and haggle. It was a great day to mingle with the dealers and talk leisurely about comics. Tomorrow it'll be all out war.

I look forward to more of your experiences at the con. Take some good pics!

I got stuck in the traffic jam on 95 up from DC and got there at 2:15. On-site was closed which sucked given that that's what I went to the show for. Oh well, got some books signed and had a good time anyway. I gotta say though, I totally agree on limiting the submissions to on-site. When I take 6 books to get done and they can't handle it due to people submitting whole long boxes it's a bit frustrating.

Baltimore Con - Saturday

Today was another great buying day (unfortunately for my bank account!). I bought so much I decided to submit another Value submission. So yesterday I submitted 15 books via Value (which was always my plan) and today I submitted another 21 books via Value, of which probably 10-12 came from buying books today and yesterday. Here's just one example. Maybe the best of all Schomberg GGA covers, this comic has been on my want list forever. I got it for 80 bucks!

b713d130-7819-4681-bfa0-74ea8d300208_zps3ecc8894.jpg

Here's another book I've wanted for awhile, the 1st appearances of Loki and Odin. Okay, I paid more than $80 ;) but I was able to get the dealer to come down a bit off the $400 sticker price.

When I planned to go to Baltimore I never expected to get comics like this. I've heard how great Baltimore is, and now you can add me to their list of supporters. At other big cons I go to (SDCC, Chicago) you tend to see the same big national dealers. They were here in Baltimore too, but also here are so many dealers I've never seen before. In fact, the guy I got the JIM #85 from is a collector who's reducing his collection.

3bf8245f-0870-4072-8b62-bca9fe96f280_zps71a9027b.jpg

As we were going back and forth on price for the JIM #85, I was checking GPA and eBay on my iPad. The dealer estimated the grade at 3.0. Okay, let's go with that. GPA has it at $385. I think that's lower than current market. So the dealer/collector got some cash, and I got a pretty good deal even if it comes in at 2.5. If it comes in at 2.0 then at that point it's hard to say. I like the book though. Some chipping on the side and the cover's spine is fragile, but otherwise great eye appeal.

So, onsite did close yesterday. But CGC opened it up again this morning at 11am (not sure why 11am since the con opened at 10am). This time though they limited people to 3 books max. By the time I went to the CGC booth around 2pm, on-site was closed.

I mentioned to the CGC staffer how at WW Philly on-site didn't close until Saturday, 3 days after opening. The staffer told me that had never happened before, that it's more normal for onsite to fill up the first day like here in Baltimore.

The only artist I really cared about seeing here in Baltimore was Gerhard. This is the first con I've ever seen him at. I bought from him this great hand colored print of Cerebus and Jaka.

315e8ef9c66790f8f20db571b45be5de_zps6742764b.jpg

I'll post wall pictures later. For now here's about the most interesting book I saw, 1 page of Batman #1 for $1000. I didn't buy it -- I wasn't even tempted, not really -- but I thought it was cool. I might have been more tempted if the page included the first appearance of the Joker or Catwoman -- but then I'm sure it would have been alot more expensive.

f89410106cfde0bf892ab60b1b0f8713_zps003012ac.jpg

Baltimore Con - Saturday - Post Convention

To make today even better, when I got home I smoked beef and pork ribs on my Big Green Egg. I used a mix of mesquite, apple and hickory for the smoke.

7E424849-DF44-4D5E-922A-FC8FEAEE4ADE_zps66vtgd4m.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot up to Baltimore to pick up my on-sites (hopefully they'll be done!). Then I'll get back home before kickoff to watch the Redskins game. Before I leave for the con I'll put a pork belly on the Egg. It doesn't look great now but wait until after it's been cooking low and slow with smoke for a few hours. What a great weekend this is turning out to be!

5B101F9D-D4FB-400C-81B0-1986B710E1A3_zpsgtsvc4h9.jpg

So since this is a con report I guess I should post a pic from the con. Here's another book I found interesting, a low grade Richie Rich #1 for $300. It's on my want list and the price is right (and the dealer is motivated, I would not be surprised if he sold for $250, maybe even $225 -- maybe even $200!) but I'm hoping to get a bit nicer copy.

5e1e1ed6e5ef632e69d072fa30cb90b7_zps70f758bd.jpg

Baltimore Con - Wall Pics

I've decided to skip Sunday and just laze around the house today, spend time with the family and watch football. I've spent too much anyway!

Here are wall books from Friday and Saturday:

0f1716401812782bc78e5695a3248dcb_zps6126fd6c.jpg

f7c928754dbe4dd5bcc3aaa202fbec1e_zpsfe327ae5.jpg

ef6b526cf1e5dfe611cffb32754cad05_zps8ffe5d23.jpg

8bb307b06d05266383488e1587b81723_zps9d94af63.jpg

d6e85c1bcc9e5ebb1ef3c4877e001ceb_zps64f42c89.jpg

299c845f89341ad1cc1cd476a17fc6a5_zps6c195b70.jpg

f867682658f7af14ea51976bfefa0697_zps85915574.jpg

5fe259e3ddf1b3acd9e4da4421c6139c_zps06cd04bf.jpg

744da50827338beb01cf8b721abb0fcc_zpsa0fe2ef0.jpg

Baltimore Con - A few things I picked up

This was my biggest buy from Baltimore. With Ant Man apparently slatted for an upcoming movie, TTA #27 (1st apperance) and #35 (1st apperance in costume) are hot right now. Honestly I thought I'd miss the boat on these 2 books as they were rising in price faster than I was able to afford.

But I managed to pick this up from the dealer/collector I mentioned yesterday, who was at the con to reduce his collection. It wasn't cheap but I think I got it lower than current market value. Honestly I like 35 better than 27 since Antman is wearing his costume. Given the price difference (like 3x more for #27) I think #35 has a higher ceiling price wise. We'll see ...

TalestoAstonish35CGC40525_zpscaaa7d51.jpg

Cons are always a great place to pick up books. They're so inexpensive (at least 50% off cover), I should take bigger advantage of it. The Ardard was only $5. Camelot 3000 Deluxe was $15, the other 2 were $10 each. Hard to beat that!

ea4009fe84a81222f1d80206a3299ee6_zpsf85fa4ce.jpg

5ba27f75ba3a4ec8c4ca7fe0c7a94b49_zpsf7a47cfd.jpg

5 5