• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

526 posts in this topic

Thanks rob.

I did a lot of mail stuff in the 80s have few letters from Dave A. I had told him i just got a copy of Tec 27 from E.Gerber he told me he just bought a NM-Mint copy of 27 himself. 30 years later this guy i was getting mail from telling me the books he got is the Dentist. I was a Comic GEEK and feel more like one now i was talking to the Action 1 of the comic world back then and did not know it.?

I don't buy into the "Tec #27 will NEVER pass Action #1" mantra.

There was a time when people couldn't imagine Batman topping Superman in popularity and now, we're heading into a third consecutive decade of Batman's dominance. I'm only 25 and I come from a generation that has adored Batman, while many are either indifferent towards Superman, or worse, don't even like the character.

Right now older generations, the ones who grew up many decades ago when Superman was held in much higher esteem, are the ones with the greatest spending power. Comic collecting is highly nostalgic-based, and it's no surprise to see collectors of those generations having very fond memories of Superman.

Eventually, my generation will get older, come into greater spending power and they'll have to make a decision between two books that are already similar in value. To assume, often based on little more than the "that's how it's always been" and "the significance of being the first superhero" factors, that Action #1 will always remain number one is a bit short-sided IMO.

Comparing one book's 9.0 to another's 9.2 will depend on a number of factors: eye appeal, PQ, state of preservation, venue of sale, other existing copies in similar or superior condition, timing, etc.

But in the long run, from a simple Action #1 vs. Tec #27 standpoint, we may eventually see Tec #27 as the top book in our hobby.

I'm 40, and I'd say Batman had already topped Superman by the time my generation reached comic-collecting age, but fairly recently. People just a few years older than I am dug the Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder Superman movies. Those were Superman's last hurrah.

But grades being equal, T27 will not surpass A1, ever, in my book.

Except for four years ago. (shrug)

Consistently we know who is number 1.

I agree that Action #1 has been the top book in the hobby, but you keep saying ever and right here you're saying "grades being equal" I'm just pointing out that the biggest week in the hobby's history saw a Detective 27 outsell an Action #1 in the same grade. That's just one exception to what you're saying, but it's one we really shouldn't ignore.

I've learned three things from this thread:

(1) There's a new D27 in 9.2 on the CGC census;

(2) Gator knows everything about it, wants to buy it, but is limited on what he can say here because of either non-disclosure agreements or good business practices in maintaining the confidentiality of his sources and conversations; and

(3) the Batman vs. Superman debate is eternal.

There is only one logical explanation for this, someone has created a time machine, traveled back in time, purchased the Detective 27, and returned to our time.

:idea: did he lend it to Adams first for the action 1? :grin:

But grades being equal, T27 will not surpass A1, ever, in my book.

Except for four years ago. (shrug)

Consistently we know who is number 1.

I agree that Action #1 has been the top book in the hobby, but you keep saying ever and right here you're saying "grades being equal" I'm just pointing out that the biggest week in the hobby's history saw a Detective 27 outsell an Action #1 in the same grade. That's just one exception to what you're saying, but it's one we really shouldn't ignore.

Yep. And there are other recent comparison points that suggest that Tec 27 has at least a debate-worthy claim on the top spot.

Here are 6 of the top 11 all-time confirmed sales on Rob's list:

Detective Comics 27 CGC 8.0 2010/02/25 $1,075,000.00

Action Comics 1 CGC 8.0 2010/02/22 $1,000,000.00

Action Comics 1 CGC 6.5 2011/06/01 $625,000.00

Action Comics 1 CGC 6.5 2010/08/01 $575,000.00

Detective Comics 27 CGC 6.0 2010/04/01 $575,000.00

Detective Comics 27 CGC 6.5 2013/02/23 $567,625.00

I'm cherry picking, obviously, but still... 6 of the top 11 (publicly known) sales, ever. Can you say definitively from that data that Action 1 is the clear-cut winner? I think probably you can't.

There is only one logical explanation for this, someone has created a time machine, traveled back in time, purchased the Detective 27, and returned to our time.

If this is the "Windy City" copy I had a chance to buy this and wanted to but didn't simply because work got in the way and communication with the seller was a little off-putting (I was hearing about it from him as well as from several other people who were telling me of a "better" book which I realized later was actually the same book which they were apparently going to buy from the seller and then resell to me. The prices quoted ranged literally, from 43K to 125K. The guy who actually had it quoted me a price toward the lower side and I was interested but then he sold it without telling me (for a price below what I was prepared to pay). When I asked him why he said that he hadn't paid for the book in full and was worried because he was told by others that "nobody wanted it."

Can't tell you how many times I have heard that the "word" on this book or that was "nobody wants it" only to hear later that "everybody wants it".

Edited by bluechip