• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Already sold :(

Man I'm 0/3 lately.

Lazy Sundays are counterproductive to snagging the piece you want. :baiting:

It's not my fault the Jays/Tigers game went 19 innings :cry:

Im dont know if this has been mentioned in this thread already, or even how relevant it is to the posted question, but: have you read 'Grailpages: Original Comic Book Art And The Collectors' by Steven Payne ? It's mostly about the collectors and doesnt offer much in the way of advice and tips on collecting, but I enjoyed it just the same as it does manage to give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside about being one of the people with this cool comic art collecting hobby.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1605490156/

Hi, has anyone ever seen the original artwork for the following covers and if you have could you post me a photo of each cover to drool over, thanks. They are Tomb of Dracula issue 48 and Amazing Spider-man annual number 1, any help would be fantastic. One more thing could you post them before they were coloured. .

Thank you for the reply, I had thought the same about acetates but how would you know a genuine colour guide. I have seen them for sale and like everything else they push the "one of a kind" as bait. Some of them are quite nice so it would be nice to know for any future buys. Also what about printer proofs are they in the same league as the acetates.

Thank you for the reply, I had thought the same about acetates but how would you know a genuine colour guide. I have seen them for sale and like everything else they push the "one of a kind" as bait. Some of them are quite nice so it would be nice to know for any future buys. Also what about printer proofs are they in the same league as the acetates.

Best to avoid printer proofs too. There are a number of OA dealers who would have color guides for sale. A dealer thread exists in the OA marketplace

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=894229#Post894229

And you can always ask advice on the boards if you find a specific piece (on eBay, for example) that you are wondering if it's legit.

i think i saw on Twitter when Erik Larsen was moving houses, that he still owned every page of Savage Dragon. -- one day the flood will burst and 2000+ pages will come on the market.

Erik Larsen was selling some of his SAVAGE DRAGON art at NYCC 2014. Not too pricey either. Too bad I didn't have enough cash. Some great artwork.

GREAT advice from another thread:

Most important thing (ever) for newbies: Make one good already-experienced friend in the hobby, that's not trying to sell to you. Someone you can casually apprentice with. This person will steer you away from obvious badness even if he or she doesn't know specifics of what you're into. If they're local, go to cons with them and run through dealer stock, getting a feel for things, fair prices, etc. If nobody local, you can still be remote and send links, asking for opinions on authenticity but also price, scarcity, and other things.

You can do all that here too, but it might be bothersome if you start a new thread every time you see something that's a "possible". And you'll be tipping off your bidding and buying competitors as to what you're looking at. A trusted personal friend in the hobby, that has no monetary interest in your activities, is worth more than anything else. And you'll naturally return the favor over time by doing the same with somebody else and keeping your eyes peeled for the art you find that your mentor may have missed. OA Big Brother program right there!

aelhra, will you be my big brother? :wishluck:

I cant see if it has been mentioned here but don't be surprised to by art that is on pages not from publisher.

I have many covers from the ION Mini series that is not on DC Comics cover stock.

I bought them direct from the artist and he told me he was using the Non DC stock because he liked it's quality better and how it held the inks.

So this is something I've always been confused about. If there is one page that is in pencils only, is there another piece that has been inked?

Most likely, but there are exceptions.

Some pages are sent directly to colorists and are not inked. IIRC, the Nathaniel Dusk pages by Gene Colan were shot from pencils and then colored.

I have one example of the pencil/ink pair. The story of how I got both is somewhat interesting and covered in the description. Just click the image.

Hdr,%20Daniel%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(Triptych,%20smaller)%20-%20LSH%20(2010)%208%20Page%2026.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

No, I would not say most likely. Is quite the opposite.

The practice of having one pencil page and one ink page started no to long ago... Mid 2000's I think [somebody correct me on that] A small percentage of books do this, where there pencil art is created, and as part of the process inks are done over a blue line copy of the original pencils, Ending up with a set of two pieces. Adlard's Walking Dead is one example.

Most modern pages are still created of via the process of inks over original pencils or digital inks/color over original pencils. Inks over a blue line photo copy were never desirable in the past, but that has changed in the modern age with digital inks and digital coloring. The art of inking over original pencils seems to be slowly going away.

Part of the allure of collecting OA over comic books was that there could only be one. Now you can have two originals, one pencil, and one ink. The original pencils will always be more desirable in this cases. Some collectors place it at 60%-40% Pencils over inks. But that’s up to you to decide depending on different variables such as penciller, inker and the what book is it from.

At the end of the day, both pieces are part of a production process. Different people prefer different stages, Personally I have no interested in blue line copy printouts…because at the end of the day is still a copy even if it has original inks. Inks over original pencils will always be the most valuable.

So this is something I've always been confused about. If there is one page that is in pencils only, is there another piece that has been inked?

As others have mentioned some artists do pencils only that are sent to the colorist.

My FF page from Dale Eaglesham's run on the book with Hickman is pencils-only. Mounts did the coloring directly from Dale's pencils, which are really tight.