• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

It must have been sometime in late 1962 or early 1963. My mother had taken me along on one of her shopping expeditions to the Kresge store in downtown London. While she was examining whatever, I of course gravitated to the toy department, and there on an island mixed in with other model kits and sundry stuff were a whole bunch of Aurora monster model kits! They were just too awesome! Wolfman was the one I wanted the most, but for whatever reason I cannot recall begging my mother for one. Perhaps I was making the shrewd calculation that if I asked for too much, I'd get nothing and I could kiss the bowl of ice cream she'd often buy me at the lunch counter goodbye. Or else I did ask and she said no.

Then on a subsequent visit in 1963 I saw that the Creature had joined Aurora's kit line:

Creature-1.jpg

Man oh man, that was the one that immediately became my favourite! Not that I got that one either. Curiously enough the first Aurora kit that I ended up buying and building a year or so later was the Mummy:

Mummy_zps8bcc4a99.jpg

I guess that was the kit staring me in the eye on a trip to the hobby shop that day and I was influenced by the Mummy's popularity among budding newspaper magnates.

The marvelous Bride of Frankenstein was my next purchase:

JCbridefranknstnMIBA_lg.jpg

I have all the Aurora monster model kits still mint-in-box in my collection these dasy with the exception of Mummy's Chariot and the King Kong and Godzilla ones:

Hepcatlookingattshirt-1.jpg

FullOpenModelCab2.jpg

ModelCabinetAuroraKits.jpg

:juggle:

The beano one would thrash the blonde in a brawl...

It's a shame there's no American equivalent to Biffa Bacon. That would be fun.

It must have been sometime in late 1962 or early 1963. My mother had taken me along on one of her shopping expeditions to the Kresge store in downtown London. While she was examining whatever, I of course gravitated to the toy department, and there on an island mixed in with other model kits and sundry stuff were a whole bunch of Aurora monster model kits! They were just too awesome! Wolfman was the one I wanted the most, but for whatever reason I cannot recall begging my mother for one. Perhaps I was making the shrewd calculation that if I asked for too much, I'd get nothing and I could kiss the bowl of ice cream she'd often buy me at the lunch counter goodbye. Or else I did ask and she said no.

Then on a subsequent visit in 1963 I saw that the Creature had joined Aurora's kit line:

Creature-1.jpg

Man oh man, that was the one that immediately became my favourite! Not that I got that one either. Curiously enough the first Aurora kit that I ended up buying and building a year or so later was the Mummy:

Mummy_zps8bcc4a99.jpg

I guess that was the kit staring me in the eye on a trip to the hobby shop that day and I was influenced by the Mummy's popularity among budding newspaper magnates.

The marvelous Bride of Frankenstein was my next purchase:

JCbridefranknstnMIBA_lg.jpg

I have all the Aurora monster model kits still mint-in-box in my collection these dasy with the exception of Mummy's Chariot and the King Kong and Godzilla ones:

Hepcatlookingattshirt-1.jpg

FullOpenModelCab2.jpg

ModelCabinetAuroraKits.jpg

:juggle:

Very cool!