• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,028 posts in this topic

In yesterday's Heritage auction, a JLA #103 9.8 with white pages sold for $2,629 (with the buyer's premium).

This is nuts! I was looking at that book, but I can't justify overpaying to that extreme just to have it in a 9.8 - I can't see it ever re-selling for anything close to that!

I don't know if I should chalk this up to someone trying to get ahead of the Justice League movie hype or someone with very deep pockets who will spend whatever it takes to get the best of the best JLA collection (and doesn't care about the investment side of the equation).

In yesterday's Heritage auction, a JLA #103 9.8 with white pages sold for $2,629 (with the buyer's premium).

This is nuts! I was looking at that book, but I can't justify overpaying to that extreme just to have it in a 9.8 - I can't see it ever re-selling for anything close to that!

I don't know if I should chalk this up to someone trying to get ahead of the Justice League movie hype or someone with very deep pockets who will spend whatever it takes to get the best of the best JLA collection (and doesn't care about the investment side of the equation).

The hard part here is not just the winning bid (there is always a crazy person willing to overpay), but the fact that there was a SECOND crazy person willing to pay almost that much.

The hard part here is not just the winning bid (there is always a crazy person willing to overpay), but the fact that there was a SECOND crazy person willing to pay almost that much.

It might not be an investment. I overpay for some of the comics I want to keep permanently. There are collectors with very deep wallets. They will pay the premium for a book that they know will not turn up so easily. Now a 9.8 JLA 103 I feel isn't that rare. But then again he obviously had competition for it. So he had 2 choices. Wait and get it slightly cheaper or battle it out with someone else and move on. Many collectors will overpay for a specific book or grade they are looking for.

When I was a kid, my older brother bought mostly DC Superman comics. He also would buy other DC books on occasion. I would sneak into his stash of books and look at them, (I couldn't read yet, but as a kid, they were just too colorful and irresistible). I clearly remember he had these issues of Justice League of America: #43-47, 50, 53 and 54. At 6 years old, my father started giving me $1.00 a week allowance, which I promptly used to start buying comic books myself. I then picked up where my brother left off and started buying at issue #55 and bought every issue right up to #106 when I stopped. Unfortunately, most of my original collection is long gone, traded away to friends or sold off as I got older. So, I guess, I'm just trying to find high grade copies of some of my first collected books and then some more featuring my favorite covers. I just love the cover of #61, a simple, yet striking take on the floating head concept. I always thought the Royal Flush gang was a good foil for the Justice League too, so I hope to eventually find high grade copies of #43 and #54 since my brother had those at one time too. Well, there you have it, my beginnings into collecting the Justice League of America going all the back to the mid-late 60's. :grin:

I agree, the RFG is a great foe for JLA.

Should I have this slabbed? Starting to collect JLA now.

<a  href=scan0022.jpg' alt='scan0022.jpg'>

Looking at the spine cracks, I am thinking this would be graded at best around 7.0. In this condition, the price of slabbing may be more than the total value of the comic, so I would not say this is a candidate for CGC.

With the black cover, this is a very hard book to find in high condition. I recently finished collecting JLA 50-100 in 8.5 or better condition, and this was the last book I obtained to finish the run.