• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

Figured I'd bring this here just to remind us of how awesome the soundtrack was. :grin:

I remember once driving back from a gig and listening to Rachel's song (#4, which BTW isn't on the original) and Memories of green (#8) on loop for nearly 30 minutes..

I ended up staying in the car listening to those 2 a couple more times before exiting

Amazing how much of Philip 's material ended up converted to film.

• Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? => Blade Runner (1982)
  • We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" => Total Recall (1990)
  • Confessions of a Artist => Barjo (1992)
  • Second Variety => Screamers (1995)
  • The Minority Report => Minority Report (2002)
  • Impostor => Impostor (2002)
  • Paycheck => Paycheck (2003)
  • A Scanner Darkly => A Scanner Darkly (2006)
  • The Golden Man => Next (2007)
  • Radio Free Albemuth => Radio Free Albemuth (2010)
  • Adjustment Team => The Adjustment Bureau (2011)
  • We Can Remember It for You Wholesale => Total Recall (2012)

And there is more coming. The King of the Elves (Disney in 2016), Ubik (TBD), Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said (TBD), The Man in the High Castle (BBC mini-series, TBD).

The release of the Blade Runner soundtrack was delayed for years, I remember having to settle for some philharmonic version on cd and it really kinda sucked. Apparently Ridley is such a nightmare to work for, that for years Vangelis refused to release it just to spite him. I've heard the crew wore tshirts saying "Will Rogers never met Ridley Scott."

The release of the Blade Runner soundtrack was delayed for years, I remember having to settle for some philharmonic version on cd and it really kinda sucked. Apparently Ridley is such a nightmare to work for, that for years Vangelis refused to release it just to spite him. I've heard the crew wore tshirts saying "Will Rogers never met Ridley Scott."

I just watched five of the featurettes the other day concerning everything to do with Blade Runner (early development, cast selection, production, etc.). Oddly enough, they talked about the t-shirt incident in one of the featurettes.

Ridley Scott, during an interview prior to production, was asked where he would rather produce the movie: England or the U.S.A. He said something along the lines of England, because there all the crew would say to anything he stated was 'Yes sir' or something like that.

Well, that news made it to the American crew. Quite a few created t-shirts with two sayings. Though they only mentioned the one in the featurette ("Yes Guvnor, my "), including a picture of one of them wearing it.

Ridley Scott was tipped off in advance, and wore a counter-statement t-shirt to make it clear he was not expecting people to just bow down to everything he said. It must have worked, because by end of day everyone took their t-shirts off.

I just watched five of the featurettes the other day concerning everything to do with Blade Runner (early development, cast selection, production, etc.). Oddly enough, they talked about the t-shirt incident in one of the featurettes.

Ridley Scott, during an interview prior to production, was asked where he would rather produce the movie: England or the U.S.A. He said something along the lines of England, because there all the crew would say to anything he stated was 'Yes sir' or something like that.

Well, that news made it to the American crew. Quite a few created t-shirts with two sayings. Though they only mentioned the one in the featurette ("Yes Guvnor, my "), including a picture of one of them wearing it.

Ridley Scott was tipped off in advance, and wore a counter-statement t-shirt to make it clear he was not expecting people to just bow down to everything he said. It must have worked, because by end of day everyone took their t-shirts off.

Were there any women on the crew wearing t-shirts? Must have been a pretty lively set that day :baiting:

• Final Cut Version - Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio.

• 1982 Theatrical Version - The original that contains Deckard's narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

• 1982 International Version - Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

• 1992 Director's Cut - Omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famous "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he, too, may be a replicant.

Although there are some that are huge fans of the Theatrical Cut (Guillermo del Toro talks in one of the featurettes of still having his Laser Disc version, and watching it frequently), for me the Final Cut is the best version.

- Deckard narrating: His talking in the Theatrical Cut during certain key scenes (Roy Batty's death) really distracts from the moment. Especially if you are supposed to be internalizing what you just saw, and interpreting it for yourself. Even Harrison Ford hated doing the narration later on, though feedback from early test audiences had stated they didn't understand the intent of the film, and needed clarification what they were seeing.

- Happy ending: It is such a departure from the majority of the film, it can come across as if from a totally different movie. If there are such beautiful places in the world of Blade Runner, why would so many people squeeze themselves into a dark, dangerous and dirty place like Los Angeles 2019?

Something interesting I found out after watching so much of this material is the 'Happy Ending' fly-over scene is 'The Shining' stock footage provided by Stanley Kubrick. Someone was friends with Kubrick, and after determining they couldn't get the scene right they asked him if it would be okay to use some of the 'Shining' footage.

Something interesting I found out after watching so much of this material is the 'Happy Ending' fly-over scene is 'The Shining' stock footage provided by Stanley Kubrick. Someone was friends with Kubrick, and after determining they couldn't get the scene right they asked him if it would be okay to use some of the 'Shining' footage.

Easy fix for that is, just switch the soundtrack from the ending of BR to Wendy Carlos' Shinning. Now we have a dark and menacing finish!

I had a feeling when I opened this thread there would be discussion about which cut of the movie is the best overall. lol

In my opinion, Blade Runner is an amazing movie that was largely overshadowed at the time it was released, and I honestly sort of like that. Blade Runner is the type of movie that you can show someone who never saw it 32 years ago and watch them get floored by it. Unlike some other movies from the same period, Blade Runner still holds up. Its a great, tragic story. It was ahead of its time by years.

Rutger Hauer's death monologue at the end is brilliant. The movie is worth watching just to see that one single scene!

I had a feeling when I opened this thread there would be discussion about which cut of the movie is the best overall. lol

In my opinion, Blade Runner is an amazing movie that was largely overshadowed at the time it was released, and I honestly sort of like that. Blade Runner is the type of movie that you can show someone who never saw it 32 years ago and watch them get floored by it. Unlike some other movies from the same period, Blade Runner still holds up. Its a great, tragic story. It was ahead of its time by years.

Rutger Hauer's death monologue at the end is brilliant. The movie is worth watching just to see that one single scene!

:applause:

Agreed. I watched it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. There are no bad versions.

One thing why that this sequel talk is good is because it creates new interest. The last time I watched Blade Runner was years ago. I bought the Final Cut and let it sit unopened for almost 6 years. This sequel talk got me interested in the franchise again, and now I can`t wait for the sequel. (thumbs u

:applause:

That's what happened with me. Though I didn't wait 6 years.

:baiting:

I do that a lot. I have stacks of comic book trade paperbacks and DVD/Blu-rays I have to look at it. lol

You and me both.

Totally agree that scene is very powerful!