• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

Then let's look at the Hulk #181 9.9 as an anomaly (which it is). There are 50 copies graded at 9.8. That's a decent (and comparable) percentage of copies graded at that high number to the 9.4s graded for the Cerebus #1.

You could also assume that a 9.8 cracked and re-submitted has a much higher chance of retaining that grade.

The value of the Hulk 181 in 9.8 is significantly higher than the Cerebus in 9.4. A dealer would pay significantly more for that book raw than would pay for an ungraded Cerebus that would likely hit its highest grade.

At the arbitrary grade of 9.2, Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181.

But if you look at nearly every other grade, the Hulk #181 trumps it (and it's not even close).

Comparing a 9.8 Hulk #181 to a Cerebus #1 in 9.4 is a much better comparison, but it still falls short, because a Cerebus #1 in 9.8 would be a complete and total monster. It would blow away the price for any Hulk #181 9.8, ever. It would easily be a $30-$40k book.

What dealer in his right mind is going to turn down a flawless Cerebus #1...if one even still exists....in favor of a flawless Hulk #181? None of them. I completely disagree with your contention that any dealer would pay more for a Hulk #181 than a Cerebus #1, raw. They would be utterly foolish to do so. They would be utterly foolish to do it for a 9.6 potential Cerebus #1, vs. a 9.8 potential Hulk #181. They might even be utterly foolish to do so for a 9.4 potential Cerebus #1. There are dealers who would pay $5,000 for a solid "9.4 or possibly better" Cerebus #1. I don't know ANYONE who would pay that for a 9.8 potential, unless it was a slam dunk, all day long 9.8...because if it comes back 9.6, they've just lost hundreds, if not a thousand, dollars.

The facts are what they are: by Overstreet, Cerebus #1 is a more valuable book in 9.2, because that's as high as it goes. In reality, it trumps Hulk #181 in every grade from 9.2 on up, except for the freak grade of 9.9 (and that's a one-off total anomaly.)

A lot of you really underestimate the demand for and rarity of Cerebus #1 in high grades.

Outside of the bubble that is Overstreet's 2013 numbers , I don't believe a cerebus 1, 9.2 has a higher FMW than a Hulk 181, 9.2.

-J.

:ohnoez:

149586.jpg.c9221ae3bdc139d7b2d6ee36fae5fae4.jpg

Then let's look at the Hulk #181 9.9 as an anomaly (which it is). There are 50 copies graded at 9.8. That's a decent (and comparable) percentage of copies graded at that high number to the 9.4s graded for the Cerebus #1.

You could also assume that a 9.8 cracked and re-submitted has a much higher chance of retaining that grade.

The value of the Hulk 181 in 9.8 is significantly higher than the Cerebus in 9.4. A dealer would pay significantly more for that book raw than would pay for an ungraded Cerebus that would likely hit its highest grade.

But if you look at nearly every other grade, the Hulk #181 trumps it (and it's not even close).

Comparing a 9.8 Hulk #181 to a Cerebus #1 in 9.4 is a much better comparison, but it still falls short, because a Cerebus #1 in 9.8 would be a complete and total monster. It would blow away the price for any Hulk #181 9.8, ever. It would easily be a $30-$40k book.

What dealer in his right mind is going to turn down a flawless Cerebus #1...if one even still exists....in favor of a flawless Hulk #181? None of them. I completely disagree with your contention that any dealer would pay more for a Hulk #181 than a Cerebus #1, raw. They would be utterly foolish to do so. They would be utterly foolish to do it for a 9.6 potential Cerebus #1, vs. a 9.8 potential Hulk #181. They might even be utterly foolish to do so for a 9.4 potential Cerebus #1. There are dealers who would pay $5,000 for a solid "9.4 or possibly better" Cerebus #1. I don't know ANYONE who would pay that for a 9.8 potential, unless it was a slam dunk, all day long 9.8...because if it comes back 9.6, they've just lost hundreds, if not a thousand, dollars.

The facts are what they are: by Overstreet, Cerebus #1 is a more valuable book in 9.2, because that's as high as it goes. In reality, it trumps Hulk #181 in every grade from 9.2 on up, except for the freak grade of 9.9 (and that's a one-off total anomaly.)

A lot of you really underestimate the demand for and rarity of Cerebus #1 in high grades.

Outside of the bubble that is Overstreet's 2013 numbers , I don't believe a cerebus 1, 9.2 has a higher FMW than a Hulk 181, 9.2.

-J.

I will trade you a Hulk 181 in 9.2 for a Cerebus 1 in 9.2 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Why?

1) I can find Hulk 181s in 9.2 with nearly no effort.

2) I can find Cerebus 1s in 9.2 only with extreme effort.

3) I will be paying essentially what the market says for a Hulk 181 in 9.2

4) I will be paying what the dealer says for a Cerebus 1 in 9.2.

You may believe otherwise, but you are just wrong on this.

But there is no Cerebus in 9.8, so we have to treat the 9.4s as the pinnacle of that issue. You need to stop comparing a 9.8 that's real with one that is not.

No, that's unsound reasoning. The "highest graded premium" argument only goes so far. I'm not comparing a real 9.8 to a non-existent 9.8. I'm saying that you CAN'T compare a real 9.8 to a real 9.4.

There are lots of GA books that have the highest graded as 5.0, 6.5, 8.5. Would it be fair to compare them to a 9.8, just because they're both "highest graded"? No, of course not.

-J.

I will trade you a Hulk 181 in 9.2 for a Cerebus 1 in 9.2 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Why?

And he's not kidding when he says "with extreme effort" can a 9.2 Cerebus #1 be found. They simply do not exist, and the ones that do (all SS, by the way), you would have to offer obscene money to obtain.

THAT is why this whole "oh, well, a 9.2 Cerebus #1 sold for $2100 in 2005, and the market "declined" since then, so it's reasonable to say it could be had for less today" is beyond absurd. A NINE POINT ZERO sold for $2500 last year.

9.2 Hulk #181? I can wave around $2500 and have one by Saturday. I could *probably* wave around $2100, and have one by the end of next week.

End of next week is the end of the three-day Baltimore show. You wave around eighteen Benjamins on Sunday afternoon, you probably can walk out of there with a Hulk 181 9.2.

-J.

And he's not kidding when he says "with extreme effort" can a 9.2 Cerebus #1 be found. They simply do not exist, and the ones that do (all SS, by the way), you would have to offer obscene money to obtain.

THAT is why this whole "oh, well, a 9.2 Cerebus #1 sold for $2100 in 2005, and the market "declined" since then, so it's reasonable to say it could be had for less today" is beyond absurd. A NINE POINT ZERO sold for $2500 last year.

9.2 Hulk #181? I can wave around $2500 and have one by Saturday. I could *probably* wave around $2100, and have one by the end of next week.

...and an 8.5 sold for $850 THIS year. Like a few weeks ago even.. Just sayin.... :whistle:

Release the hounds!

-J.

-J.

...and an 8.5 sold for $850 THIS year. Like a few weeks ago even.. Just sayin.... :whistle:

Release the hounds!

-J.

So...buy it for $850...press it to 9.0...if you can...and sell it for $2500.

-J.

Release the hounds!

-J.

Is that what 9.0's sell for?

-J.

Release the hounds!

-J.

Right, the 8.5, which everyone in the thread agrees will sell for less than a comparable Hulk 181. The 8.5, which has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion. In other news, the earth revolves around the sun.

-J.

Release the hounds!

-J.

Sounds like a good business plan to me.

(thumbs u

There is a massive difference between these grades for very rare books. There is a psychological difference between 8.5 and 9.0 (it's the single most significant psychological difference in the entire scale, and it is exponentially magnified as the book gets rarer.) The market responds differently to these books in these grades than to common books.

What can be argued about an 8.5 cannot be argued for a 9.0 for very rare books (and Cerebus #1 is a VERY rare book.)

I suspect that Jaydog is only used to dealing with very common Marvels and the like, all of which show a much more gradual increase in value over these grades, because they are so common in them.

Sorry to keep repeating this, but hope springs eternal (BJ, does hoping that other people will learn about these things make me a braggart...?)

Not at all. Perhaps it's just one's approach ?

What Chuck said.

To which I would add: "perhaps it's perception based on personal feeling, by the exposure of irrational premises", illustrated below:

"Cerebus #1 is worth more than Hulk #181 in certain grades."

"WHAT??!!!????!!?!?!?! Hulk #181 is the BESTEST BOOK OF ALL TIME, how DARE anything be worth more than it is??????"

"The facts clearly show that it is."

"You're just an A-HOLE who is JEALOUS, so I'm going to purposely read into your posts a condescending, braggadocious attitude, because I don't like you challenging my feelings!"

"Feel free."

I dunno, that's what I see. I could be wrong.

Confidence is often perceived as arrogance by the unconfident.

May this thread never end....while all you folks are talking about Cerebus, you should look into other Ottawa books...Aircel is a great start.Early Keown...

Stark Future was a great series...

Comics Values Monthly was from here...let's put Ottawa back on the comic map!!

-J.

Release the hounds!

-J.

Right, the 8.5, which everyone in the thread agrees will sell for less than a comparable Hulk 181. The 8.5, which has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion. In other news, the earth revolves around the sun.

No nuhun.Earth is flat and we are the centre of the universe! :baiting:lol

Not at all. Perhaps it's just one's approach ?

What Chuck said.

To which I would add: "perhaps it's perception based on personal feeling, by the exposure of irrational premises", illustrated below:

"Cerebus #1 is worth more than Hulk #181 in certain grades."

"WHAT??!!!????!!?!?!?! Hulk #181 is the BESTEST BOOK OF ALL TIME, how DARE anything be worth more than it is??????"

"The facts clearly show that it is."

"You're just an A-HOLE who is JEALOUS, so I'm going to purposely read into your posts a condescending, braggadocious attitude, because I don't like you challenging my feelings!"

"Feel free."

I dunno, that's what I see. I could be wrong.

Confidence is often perceived as arrogance by the unconfident.

To which I would add, "your opinion is noted ad infinitum." :applause: