• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

Given how nuts that WD #1 splash is going on ComicConnect this week, I wonder how cray-cray an auction of one of the early Tony Moore covers would be in this market? Would a cover get far more than this splash, or is the upside somewhat limited because (some) people are already overreaching for something like this #1 splash just because it's available and it would be a big stretch for them to reach further? (shrug)

Given how nuts that WD #1 splash is going on ComicConnect this week, I wonder how cray-cray an auction of one of the early Tony Moore covers would be in this market? Would a cover get far more than this splash, or is the upside somewhat limited because (some) people are already overreaching for something like this #1 splash just because it's available and it would be a big stretch for them to reach further? (shrug)

I think that one of his covers would go crazy.

I was under the impression that there were only a select few individuals that would go above X amount for his work on TWD(and Adlard's work for that matter), but I'm starting to see a trend of a combination of new money and other collectors transitioning into the TWD market that make me think otherwise.

Look at the Adlard page that sold on CLink a little while ago for over 4k. I believe the buyer hadn't bought any TWD up until that point and just wanted a "nice example", as he said, of the series.

:shrug:

Way things are going right now, I'd have to think you'd see some premium, but not multiples of where the splash is right now. How much upside is there really at this point when a splash is pushing $20k?

I recently (and randomly) coordinated a sale for a TM cover after I passed due to some recent purchases I made. I'm sure you can figure it out based on some searching (it wasn't Gene's #19!). That for me has been a huge point of reference for TM art, which is why I'm so dumbfounded by this auction, issue 1 or not.

I won't say how much it went for publicly, but yeah, this auction changes EVERYTHING in my opinion regarding TM art, especially covers, which I believe haven't been publicly sold in a very long time. Hell, even his commissions for that matter will be affected by this, and rightfully so while he catches up with FMV.

Late edit, I'm not sure if it's been raised, but I think this is an interesting situation where this has zero impact on Adlard early pages. TM's scarcity is driving this. Adlard cover's are perhaps a different story, but we all know where those typically end up.

Late edit, I'm not sure if it's been raised, but I think this is an interesting situation where this has zero impact on Adlard early pages. TM's scarcity is driving this. Adlard cover's are perhaps a different story, but we all know where those typically end up.

I disagree. I wouldn't say that it impacts Adlard art the same way (it doesn't), however, it certainly has some impact because many people will and are already are priced out of TM pages. The alternative is Adlard.

What happened with Ditko/ Romita art? Didn't people initially brush off Romita, all the while one person was picking up all the Romita art he could? I think some interesting parallels could be drawn between the Nowell brothers and that person...

Scarce is right...

134 pages. The last scrape of Tony's old FS page was Jan 20 2012. Had 74 pages listed. Some will have sold since then.... but even so I would think there is quite a bit below 100 out there.

Issue 1 Page 3

Issue 1 Page 8

Issue 1 Page 15

Issue 1 Page 18

Issue 1 Page 19

Issue 1 Page 20

Issue 2 Page 3

Issue 2 Page 5

Issue 2 Page 8

Issue 2 Page 14

Issue 2 Page 16

Issue 2 Page 17

Issue 2 Page 18

Issue 2 Page 19

Issue 2 Page 20

Issue 2 Page 21

Issue 3 Page 1

Issue 3 Page 2

Issue 3 Page 3a (Page 3a and 3b are a set)

Issue 3 Page 3b (Page 3a and 3b are a set)

Issue 3 Page 4

Issue 3 Page 7

Issue 3 Page 9

Issue 3 Page 10

Issue 3 Page 11

Issue 3 Page 12

Issue 3 Page 13

Issue 3 Page 14

Issue 3 Page 16

Issue 3 Page 17

Issue 3 Page 18

Issue 3 Page 19

Issue 3 Page 20

Issue 3 Page 21

Issue 3 Page 22

Issue 4 Page 1

Issue 4 Page 2

Issue 4 Page 3

Issue 4 Page 4

Issue 4 Page 5

Issue 4 Page 7

Issue 4 Page 8

Issue 4 Page 9

Issue 4 Page 11

Issue 4 Page 13

Issue 4 Page 21

Issue 5 Page 1

Issue 5 Page 2

Issue 5 Page 5

Issue 5 Page 6

Issue 5 Page 7

Issue 5 Page 8

Issue 5 Page 9

Issue 5 Page 11

Issue 5 Page 12

Issue 5 Page 13

Issue 5 Page 18

Issue 5 Page 21

Issue 6 Page 2

Issue 6 Page 3

Issue 6 Page 4

Issue 6 Page 5

Issue 6 Page 6

Issue 6 Page 7

Issue 6 Page 9

Issue 6 Page 12

Issue 6 Page 13

Issue 6 Page 14

Issue 6 Page 15

Issue 6 Page 16

Issue 6 Page 18

Issue 6 page 19

Issue 6 page 20

Issue 6 Page 21

I'd say 'tho Tony Moore is the co-creator and was part of some epic storylines, Charlie Adlard is the artist most recognized for the look and feel of The Walking Dead.

Tony Moore's art is bright to Charlie Adlard's darkness, and Adlard has a far greater mood setting style suitable for The Walking Dead, and ultimately 'tho has a larger body of original artwork in the market, sold benefit from anything Tony Moore's art does in terms of sales precedent.

I think Tony Moore will always have a place in collector's hearts as the originator and his pieces, since so limited will be "grail" type obsessions to possess, but Adlard still remains very relevant and highly collected.

I'd be interested to see if any creative changes are in the future, be it Kirkman leaving writing duties and/or Adlard moving out, and who would replace them.

I was under the impression that there were only a select few individuals that would go above X amount for his work on TWD(and Adlard's work for that matter), but I'm starting to see a trend of a combination of new money and other collectors transitioning into the TWD market that make me think otherwise.

Look at the Adlard page that sold on CLink a little while ago for over 4k. I believe the buyer hadn't bought any TWD up until that point and just wanted a "nice example", as he said, of the series.

;)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1103490

;)

I hate and love that page at the same time :(

;)

I love that page.

That last panel though :cloud9:

I have bought two issue one pages over the last two years. I know where six other pages currently are. Three of those pages have turned down what I would call very nice offers. The others are just not for sale. The last page that went on ebay I think went for about $8500.00. I have no information on the number of issue one pages Tony has left but maybe the person that just bought one from him would know.I think the list Garf gave from his old site is out dated and incorrect. At one point Tony just seemed to walk away and updates to the pages for sale just stopped. Not for a day or a month,seemed like over a year +.

IMO you can not and will not get a issue one page for under (number removed at the advice of my doctor). Unless the seller is just not aware of the current market.

Some people feel a issue one page in of itself is somewhat a grail.

As far as the covers go Todd has that locked up for the most part. After a bid battle on a key cover ( I lost) I made a wise choice to seek Tony Moore pages and some Adlard keys.That means I'm more likely to battle in this area and not the other. I have very rarely felt the same way about a cover and would bid accordingly.

The WD story has an incredible start in the first few pages......Rick is shot and falls into a coma. When he wakes, he has no ideal whats going on..He is left trying to figure out what the hell has happened to the world he knew. Go back and read issue one.......its just the perfect storm.... the story and the art.

For me it just not about the splash but the story it tells. For me page one would hold my attention just as much if it were to surface.When I see this splash,I see so much more then a splash.When you have a few collectors feel the same way it also becomes the perfect storm.........it can get ugly. As a diehard fan of the book you sometimes have to pick your battles.

This is all based on the way I feel about the series and art, not the way you feel about it. How can you gauge that?

Edited by James J

Looking at eBay, you can get some of those average pieces for less than splashpage prices. I think it will continue like that for a while. There are a lot of pieces for the market to digest and more come out every month. I see the market saturated with a lot of ordinary pieces and I do not see the "A" pieces appreciation being reflected in the market as a whole for a long while.